• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

If I get a Sub built from as many genuine Rolex parts as possible, will it function as well as a gen watch?

Zeta7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23
a real jeweler.. a legit real jewelry store will NEVER service a fake watch

ever

they'll politely tell you to come get your watch asap upon opening it if you even get them to take it and service it in the first place.. or politely tell you, "that's an amazing watch. expensive too. send it to Rolex" .. that last one is from personal experience. I was younger then in my 20's.. too inexperienced to know they basically told me FOH.. :ROFLMAO:
Yes you make a good point. However I’ve noticed that things have changed over the past sixty ish or so years. Finding a “legit real jewelry store” is getting harder and harder. There’s not many of them left. Much like a woman that doesn’t have a high body count. We’ve all heard about them but finding one is a different story.

• Haha
Reactions: Dave2302

tomriddle

25/6/07
Yes you make a good point. However I’ve noticed that things have changed over the past sixty ish or so years. Finding a “legit real jewelry store” is getting harder and harder. There’s not many of them left. Much like a woman that doesn’t have a high body count. We’ve all heard about them but finding one is a different story.
btw this is a timeless issue in our world.. basically getting fakes serviced

and always tons of discussions about it.. recently i came across 2 takes as to why jewelers/etc won't work on reps.. 15+ years in this pool and i've never thought of or read or even heard about these takes so sharing it here because i found it so true and interesting

1) Bait and Switch.. take a fake in to a jewelry shop for servicing... and then for the person to claim "you gave me back a fake when i brought in an original!" :) real jewelry places would just avoid that mess alltogether so that may be a reason why they'd avoid working on fakes

2) if the cost to service a fake is worth more than the actual fake vs the price they can charge for said service.. I have a real trusted watchsmith here who charges $400 for a complete movement overhaul service.. if they want to charge a customer $400-$600.. and then knowing it's a fake the customer may not want to pay such a price.. well, they'd better be off not just wasting time. (this applies more to mom and pops and gray jewelers and other watchsmiths tbh)

anyways, just thought those 2 takes on why getting reps serviced is such a headache was interesting.. the bait and switch moreso than anything would explain why a legit jewelry place simply would avoid working on fakes to begin with.. imagine a customer dropping that crazyness on them

Reactions: Zeta7