• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I went off Tag for about 15 years untill now .. Aquaracer 500 M Comparison Pics

UKASIA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/9/09
When I younger and lived in the UK Tag H was the watch to have ( it was an 80s Icon ) and I like many others had a 2000 series ( mine however was an Automatic ) it was strong and looked good . Later on the image went astray I got wealthier and left the brand .

About a month ago I was in a dealer in Singapore having bought a new strap for my Sinn U1 and I noticed the Aquaracer 500m in the case , I looked at it and it really struck a chord .. Twenty mins later and one tax refund receipt in hand a Tag Aquaracer was in the box , I wore it and I loved it it is truley a fine watch even if it is a Tag it looks good it to me is the ultimate "carved from a solid lump " look that I love so much.

Three weeks later while I was in the Phillipines I saw a 500 M replica so I looked and for a lot less money I once again left with a Tag ( this one having never seen Switzerland with its birthplace firmly in China ). I thought lets kepe the original looking good and wear the Rep .. These are the pics of why I do it with no worries of being caught out . The only clue is the the Badge on the face it is not so carved in its look but other than that the difference is NIL. In the flesh they are the same any difference you see here is the photo .

Which one is the original .. I will leave you to decide

TagComp9.jpg

TagComp8.jpg

TagComp7.jpg

TagComp3.jpg

TagComp2.jpg

TagComp1.jpg

TagComp4.jpg

TagComp6.jpg

TagComp4.jpg

TagComp11.jpg

TagComp10.jpg

MMA

5/10/10
The one on the right is the rep?

I'm guessing this because of the endlinks and the one shot of of a dodgy bracelet pin.

Looks pretty close though.

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
i'm not 100% certain but i'd say the very first photo is the fake

i'm looking at the pearl on the bezel and the TH logo on the face

other than that, the rep looks really good!

ikiestik

Renowned Member
8/4/09
this is one awesome rep if you know what to look for you know which is the rep but seriously good rep. I regularly see the gen and try it on at an AD it is one cool watch, personally I prefer the rubber strap.

P

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Tell you what, if I have to study it as hard as I just did to figure it out, it's worth every penny. :)

kdo2milger

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/3/06
second from top and watch on the left in next few pics is the gen...

pretty close on just about all details; this is a rep worth having for the collection!

melswatch

I'm Pretty Popular
21/5/10
As an owner of this baby as well - I know the tell...the "Calibre 5" on the rep is a brighter orange then the gen so the first of the top 2 pics is the rep...

81481768.jpg

melswatch

I'm Pretty Popular
21/5/10
Yes - on my PC, the first pic looks to have a brighter orange "Calibre 5" logo so I'm saying that is the rep... The orange on the second pics appears to more closely match the second hand pointer orange indicating a gen.

MAC

Horology Curious
23/8/10
In the pics the "500M" text is hidden by the hour hands, the gen has bolder letters with little space between them. The other little flaw is the pearl hole in the bezel triangle, it's a little bit smaller and more defined in the gen. So, the 1st pic shown is from the rep and in the side-to-side comparison shot the rep is the one on the right. Still, pretty accurate rep, best TAG rep of the year IMO.

ikiestik

Renowned Member
8/4/09
This is surely a rep to add to your collection the fact you get gen ETA as well, bargain if you ask me. you will never get called out unless you take it off and let someone with a gen or ad examine it closely with gen side by side even then they might not be able to tell.

P

hooligan76

Known Member
4/7/10
They really did a great job on this rep! I hope the same factory will do the new 500M Chrono soon, that's the one I want to see repped.

Kyoto

Looking Around
30/12/09
This is a very good rep! Up there with the Top Gun and the Carrera.

BTW, i think the first pic and left hand pic (in side by side shots) is the genuine. Only because the colours seem to pop out a little more. Probably due to the crystal. After reading the other post, the pins on the clasp were also a real giveaway. The finish on the band also look slightly cheaper when you see the rep next to the genuine, but only because you can see the finish on the genuine one. Impressive!

bryanhayn

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
MULTI ACCOUNT
30/11/09
I own this rep, and I can say it's VERY accurate since I took my to an AD to compare the two side by side. Another flaw is that the rep has a glossy Tag Heuer logo and the genuine has a matte logo. Also, with mine, the rubber in the bezel was sunken a bit below the metal part, while the genuine had its rubber flush with the metal.

achyx

3/9/10
i like this watch, but the difference in font spacing of the 500M drives me absolutely mental when i look at it!

kdo2milger

17/3/06
I couldnt resist!
here is my blue face, lost in the 300,000 packages awaiting flights out of China :(
P1170845-1.jpg

P1170847.jpg

Ruma

Horology Curious
8/12/10
I couldnt resist!
here is my blue face, lost in the 300,000 packages awaiting flights out of China :(

Nice rep, the metal seems a little dirty though.

I guess that's the new rep version with the sellita swiss movement isn´t it?

Nice choice, congrats ;)

kdo2milger

17/3/06
ya hopefully its not that dirty when i finally get...

yup, its the sw-200 26 jewel