• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

So I took 2 reps to a local watch repair place...the story..

treeman

9/4/07
I have two reps that were having problems. A Cartier Pasha ETA GMT and a Omega 45mm Ultimate PO. The Pasha all of a sudden stopped ticking and the PO has a stuck crown. I must admit that I was pretty nervous to take two fake watches to a shop that I have never been to but I just can't wait several weeks for one of our well known repair guys to fix what I think should be pretty simple stuff for any watchsmith.

So I walk into the place (in South Florida) and drop the two watches on the counter, I don't mention anything about them being reps, I say this one all of a sudden stopped ticking (pointing at the Pasha)... The guy grabs the Pasha and says "well thing is that with IMITATION watches sometimes the movements can tilt slightly and the rotor can hit the movement holder which stops the rotor from being able to spin, no big deal we should be able to fix it"...basically after seeing the watch for about 1 second he already called it out as being fake but did not make it a big deal...pretty cool ;)

Next he grabs the PO and I say this one has a stuck crown...he takes it over to the repair area and pops it open in no time flat, plays with it a bit, and then he tells me "this one looks like the small plates where the crown locks into are stuck so it will need to be torn down a bit to fix but should also be no problem. the old man (watchsmith) will be in on monday and he will take care of it"

Then he whips out 2 repair tickets. he fills them both out and on the one for the pasha where it says "Watch Type" he enters Imitation Cartier....BUT on the other repair ticket for the PO he writes under "Watch Type" Omega Planet Ocean. He gives me my copies of the 2 forms, shakes my hand, says I'll call you on Monday... and I'm on my way. Yay!!! I guess the PO fooled him. ;) Either way it looks like I will have both watches on Monday and this place is about 5 minutes from my house so I will be VERY happy. Hopefully :)

Bigrahizzle

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/9/07
Wow thats good to hear. I mean, usually when you take a rep out there to a professional person that deals with watches its kinda hard to get a watchsmith that is rep friendly you know. When i first got mr Omega Speedmaster i had to get it resized. i took it to a shop in the mall and they took $20 from cuz it was a OMEGA and they didnt even notice it was a rep LOL. but its cool too know you got a watchsmith that is cool with reps. I live in VA so have to look around for a rep freindy watchsmith for future maintenance for my reps.

eskielvr

28/8/07
treeman,
what shop did you end up going to? i'm in south florida too....

D

d4m.test

Re: So I took 2 reps to a local watch repair place...the sto

treeman said:
I have two reps that were having problems. A Cartier Pasha ETA GMT and a Omega 45mm Ultimate PO. The Pasha all of a sudden stopped ticking and the PO has a stuck crown. I must admit that I was pretty nervous to take two fake watches to a shop that I have never been to but I just can't wait several weeks for one of our well known repair guys to fix what I think should be pretty simple stuff for any watchsmith.

So I walk into the place (in South Florida) and drop the two watches on the counter, I don't mention anything about them being reps, I say this one all of a sudden stopped ticking (pointing at the Pasha)... The guy grabs the Pasha and says "well thing is that with IMITATION watches sometimes the movements can tilt slightly and the rotor can hit the movement holder which stops the rotor from being able to spin, no big deal we should be able to fix it"...basically after seeing the watch for about 1 second he already called it out as being fake but did not make it a big deal...pretty cool ;)

Next he grabs the PO and I say this one has a stuck crown...he takes it over to the repair area and pops it open in no time flat, plays with it a bit, and then he tells me "this one looks like the small plates where the crown locks into are stuck so it will need to be torn down a bit to fix but should also be no problem. the old man (watchsmith) will be in on monday and he will take care of it"

Then he whips out 2 repair tickets. he fills them both out and on the one for the pasha where it says "Watch Type" he enters Imitation Cartier....BUT on the other repair ticket for the PO he writes under "Watch Type" Omega Planet Ocean. He gives me my copies of the 2 forms, shakes my hand, says I'll call you on Monday... and I'm on my way. Yay!!! I guess the PO fooled him. ;) Either way it looks like I will have both watches on Monday and this place is about 5 minutes from my house so I will be VERY happy. Hopefully :)

OR --- He kept the watches as proof, and is calling the agencies to report them! ;)

pineypl

25/6/07
Re: So I took 2 reps to a local watch repair place...the sto

Great news Treeman! :-D
Since I am in south Florida, I too would like to know. Thanks.

M said:
OR --- He kept the watches as proof, and is calling the agencies to report them! ;)

Awwww man, M! Now you gots me worried. ;-)

Bearcat

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/10/06
hooligan said:
Nah, don't worry. I'm sure you'll be fine...

I agree. They don't make any money by reporting watch. But they will make a few bucks by fixing yours.

--Doc

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
I can report the same for Germany, I have the same experience, my watch smith told me he will work on all watches with ETA movement without an problems. He also fixed for me 2 PAM's ( srew problem)

I believe, they want to make some money on it and they do not care. I would not go in a Rolex store and have my fake Rolex repaired. Just use a watchstore wich has not the big brands......

treeman

9/4/07
Guys, does anyone seriously think I might have an issue when I go and pick up the watches? The guy seemed very nice and he even opened the PO right in front of me to check it out. I left pretty happy but now you got me worried again :oops:

dvburns

3/8/06
When you go to pick them up claim that he has substituted your genuine watches for replicas. You have his receipt for a Cartier and an Omega Planet Ocean.

Don't worry. If you were going to have a problem they would have refused to take the watches for repair. Sounds like you have found a great long-term source.

Hyster

29/7/06
treeman said:
Guys, does anyone seriously think I might have an issue when I go and pick up the watches? The guy seemed very nice and he even opened the PO right in front of me to check it out. I left pretty happy but now you got me worried again :oops:

Don't see you having any problems, very handy to have a good repairer close to you.

I would not be worried in the slightest.

D

d4m.test

Treeman, dont worry... you'll be good to go my friend. :)
Do let us know when you get your watches back, fixed. My philosophy is, you can never be too careful.... Sorry to cause you to raise an eyebrow... ;)

All the best.

ken72

Renowned Member
19/3/06
I had one experience were a watch maker kept my watch for almost 3 months. I only wanted a dial and hands change for an eta Datejust. They kept telling me they could not find a set of hands for that ETA movement. They told me it would be ready in a week. Well after 3 months of calling every monday after the first 3 weeks expired and I asked for my watch with or without the changes they told me to come pick it up. The dial was trashed missing markers and scrtatched, the hands were bent and the wrong style. The back of the case was scared and cut into with some sort of case back opener. The sides had heavy scratches, and the band was ruined. They purposly destroyed the watch and I believe they knew leagaly I was not going to call or sue for a cheap $100 rep. My advise is be very careful. Talk to them before you actualy use them. Never assume they are willing to work on reps. Talk to them about it and tell them what you need. Also make sure the person you are taking to actualy works on the watches and does not contract work other than a simple battery change out. Thats were I failed. They did not do the actual work and when they said they were ok with doing the work they were speaking for a watchaker that would pick the watch up and take it to his shop.

be very careful and good luck!

-EZ-

13/3/07
If he opened up the PO and couldn't tell it was a rep, then he's not as knowledgeable as you think...good thing it seems he isn't the watchsmith.

Aquaracer

5/1/07
Don't be so sure-

I brought my PO Ultimate to my local "Watch Doctor" shop- the rotor was not spinning. This guy mostly repairs clocks and does the occasional restoratin of on old Gruen or Bulova.

Odds are the last Omega he opened was a 1964 model.

He never doubted for one second that it was a gen- opened it up, removed the rotor, lubes the bearings, reinstalled it clean as a whistle- even told me it was a nice watch... never said a word. Invoice said "Omega gents Sport Watch- bench repair". I've since brought him a few other problem watches- no issues except when you walkin with a Rolex- He spotted it from the street- but popped it open and said "Wow- where did you get this?? You know this is not a Rolex movment in here?? I'm afraid someone has taken you young man"

I told him thanks, but it was a gift from a friend and I think it's one of those "High End Swiss Replicas". He agreed.

So unless a watchsmith is authorized for an AD they may not be up on current watches. They probably only know Rolex and ETA movements- If it's got an ETA they're perfectly at home servicing it.

sollie

29/5/07
I really don't believe you have anything to worry about. The law is fairly clear in this area. It is not illegal to possess a replica, but it is illegal to manufacture, sell, receive money for, and ship replicas. On all the rep forums I belong to I have never heard one instance where someone actually got in trouble for owning a rep or attempting to get one fixed. I have taken my watches to my watchsmith twice with no problems whatsoever.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
not at all. just have enough money with you that you can pay the repair.

treeman said:

sam

Certified
6/4/07
usa
I would not worry about it.. These guys want your money for the service.. that is all they care about. I am curious as to why he did not recognize the PO as a rep. even after opening it.. was it a ETA or asian? I wonder if Omega is stamped on the rotor

treeman

9/4/07
Ok, thanks guys...I feel better now. I will be picking them up on Monday hopefully so I will have my fingers crossed.

The PO is an ETA and it does have Omega stamped on the rotor. It's funny because with the pasha he called it out, without even touching it (I thought the Pasha was a pretty good rep) but the PO he even opened it and still wrote Omega PO on the sales receipt and did not even question it.

I am in south florida, I know a few guys want to know the name of the shop but I prefer to see how it goes before I give any more details. ;) I will keep you guys posted.