• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I put in a Raffles 14060 dial.

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/10/19
I'm not sure what you mean by "luminous points". I'm talking about the pearl, commonly referred to as the "pip".

$6.61 10%OFF | Silver/Golden Border Luminous Watch Bezel Pearl Point Parts,Watch Parts Green Luminescence Bezel Jewel for Rlx Watch Bezel

It is possible to swap a pearl while the insert is installed. You have to remove the existing one first of course. If you can tap the old one off with some gentle to moderate side taps using a blunted toothpick after taping off the aluminum, then re-gluing a new one is simple. Some glue may spread to the bezel underneath but would be of no consequence if you're careful with the amount and the click / click spring is not close by.

It is a much easier task with the insert removed. Tape the pearl on top, glue from the bottom

Zs6yZS.jpg
When replacing PIP
The size of the hole in the insert may differ.
In this case, is it necessary to widen the hole to fit the PIP itself?
HqOmzp.jpeg

HqOavb.jpeg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Acetone is great for dissolving glue.

@trash3939 Apply just a tiny amount if the insert is still installed. It can eat through plastic so it shouldn't get near the crystal gasket. It can be applied with an artist's paint brush. I've soaked removed aluminum inserts in it to remove large amounts of glue like when the whole insert had been glued on. It won't harm painted aluminum.

It will eat into marker fill on ceramic inserts, in fact I use it to remove factory fill prior to doing a paint mod. So be aware if using it on a ceramic insert.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
When replacing PIP
The size of the hole in the insert may differ.
In this case, is it necessary to widen the hole to fit the PIP itself?
HqOmzp.jpeg

HqOavb.jpeg
Yes, make the receiver hole large enough to fit the replacement pip snugly. You can use a jeweler's diamond round file or a micro drill bit. If using micro drill bits, work from the finished side (from the outside, the top side). Drill bits can leave some pitting or gouging on the exit side. Same is true if enlarging dial holes (center hole or marker holes), work from rhe finished side.

You can work from either side with a file. Just be ultra careful and don't use large angles off the perpendicular. Practice on the BP pip hole after it's removed.

If you don't have either tool, you can use a very narrow (~2 - 3mm) strip of 600 or 800 grit sandpaper. Fold the sandpaper in half, insert it in the hole then put a toothpick or a springbar tool tip inside the fold. Now you effectively have a roundish sanding tool. Turn and burn. Pay attention to evenness and don't be over aggressive.

Last edited:

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/10/19
Yes, make the receiver hole large enough to fit the replacement pip snugly. You can use a jeweler's diamond round file or a micro drill bit. If using micro drill bits, work from the finished side (from the outside, the top side). Drill bits can leave some pitting or gouging on the exit side. Same is true if enlarging dial holes (center hole or marker holes), work from rhe finished side.

You can work from either side with a file. Just be ultra careful and don't use large angles off the perpendicular. Practice on the BP pip hole after it's removed.
I transferred the PIP from a bezel insert I purchased at Cain's (wrong size and could not install).

HqOypE.jpeg

Reactions: Nur-Uhr and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I transferred the PIP from a bezel insert I purchased at Cain's (wrong size and could not install).

HqOypE.jpeg
That looks so much better!

I've re-used a lot of BP 5 digit pips, they are very good.

Here's a NOS blistered gen on top next to a TC

j7gbFE.jpg

j7g7vi.jpg

And a BP

15759147750033.jpg

RAFARF pips are good too, just the aftermarket pips on inserts that are mostly bad.

• Love
Reactions: trash3939

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/10/19
I've re-used a lot of BP 5 digit pips, they are very good.

RAFARF pips are good too, just the aftermarket pips on inserts that are mostly bad.
Thank you very much.

Now I would like to try to transplant BP's PIP in the way you taught me.

Yellowsubmarine

Patron
Certified
17/5/23
UK
This is a great read and super helpful @trash3939

Can I ask which crystal you’ve used for your JF build - I’m not sure if there’s anything gen that would fit?

I have a spare 114060 vsf crystal which I’m hoping could work.. I think I’ve read that 116610 crystals have been installed on 16610 cases ?

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/10/19
This is a great read and super helpful @trash3939

Can I ask which crystal you’ve used for your JF build - I’m not sure if there’s anything gen that would fit?

I have a spare 114060 vsf crystal which I’m hoping could work.. I think I’ve read that 116610 crystals have been installed on 16610 cases ?
The glass part number for 16610 is 25-295C.
I removed the glass cyclop that came with both BP and JF and used it.
I think you can probably use the VSF 114060 glass as is.

Reactions: Yellowsubmarine

Yellowsubmarine

Patron
Certified
17/5/23
UK
The glass part number for 16610 is 25-295C.
I removed the glass cyclop that came with both BP and JF and used it.
I think you can probably use the VSF 114060 glass as is.
Thanks for the info, yes might make sense to just remove the cyclops in that case. I’ll wait and see, hopefully the ARF crystal isn’t terrible..

Last edited:

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/10/19
Thanks for the info, yes might make sense to just remove the cyclops in that case. I’ll wait and see, hopefully the AR crystal isn’t terrible..
My personal opinion is that JF is better in terms of appearance, but given the shape of the case, BP is closer to 14060.

Reactions: Thecloudhopper

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/10/19
I attempted this task by purchasing a drill bit from Amazon based on the YouTube video Karbon74 posted above.
The work took about 1 hour to drill the holes
About 2 hours to deburr (polish the lugs) around the hole

The holes are drilled at a slight angle because the drill bit is inserted from the back.
I had to use a thin round file to correct the hole because it opens a little upward from the outside.

It took a lot of courage to do this work by myself, but in the case of this watch, I was able to do it successfully.

• Love
Reactions: KJ2020 and C Master