• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to spot Standard / Elaborated / Top / Chronometre Versions of 7750?

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22
The search is on...
According to this:
"the ETA 7750 is only sold in Elabore, Top and Chronometer grades"
This mnakes the search a bit easier, Top and Chronometer grades are the same for me (I do not need the extra certification) so I only have to sort out the Elaboré grade ones.

It would also be helpful to know what type of ETA7750 movement will be used in TAG-Heuer watches.
Most 7750's on ebay are with a TAG-Heuer rotor...

Last edited:

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
Standard and Elabore grades use a Novodiac/Etachoc shock absorber. Top and Chronometer use Incabloc. This is the easiest way to tell.

Pallet jewels on a Standard and Elabore grade are Polyruby, Top and Chronometer are Red Ruby.

Balance wheel and hairspring are also different between Standard/Elabore and Top/Chronometer.

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22
Standard and Elabore grades use a Novodiac/Etachoc shock absorber. Top and Chronometer use Incabloc. This is the easiest way to tell.

Pallet jewels on a Standard and Elabore grade are Polyruby, Top and Chronometer are Red Ruby.

Balance wheel and hairspring are also different between Standard/Elabore and Top/Chronometer.
Thank you - how do I identify Polyrubi vs. Red Ruby? Colour differences on pictures are sometimes not easy to tell.
Can I see the differences between balance wheels on a picture?

I checked now the 7750-pictures in a lot of ebay-deals - i have only seen Incabloc schock absorbers, also by the ones advertised as "elaboré" from Switzerland.

Last edited:

Energo

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/4/18
7750 Top and Chronometer have Balance wheel is made of the glycidur alloy. This wheel has not straight, but curly needles, as in Asian 7750

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22
7750 Top and Chronometer have Balance wheel is made of the glycidur alloy. This wheel has not straight, but curly needles, as in Asian 7750
Thanks,

found only this picture - left side: normal, right side: Glucydur balance wheel?

Unfortunately it is not always easy to see the difference, if the movement was still running as the picturec was taken - you do not see it.

Last edited:

Energo

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/4/18
Top and Chronometer is always decorated with a perlage or Geneva waves.

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22
Top and Chronometer is always decorated with a perlage or Geneva waves.
Thanks again, found some on ebay stated as top - but without any decorations. It seems that there are no strict rules at all.
There are a lot of TAG-Heuer Calibre 16 movements offered - also some with genova waves - but I read somewhere that TAG-Heuer uses only elaboré and no top or chronometer movements from ETA. They adjust the movements themselfs. (?)
This is nóone offer which seems to be a "top" movement with glucydur balance wheel: