• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To Service Your Movement Tutorial!(complete Breakdown)

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
Man old post... but worth the read. This guy is definitely a pro who loves what he does. The Lab looks so frickin sterile, which is awesome. When I go to my watchsmith it's like parts everywhere... pieces everywhere... but this guy is so clean and tidy.

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
Hey , its nice to still be appreciated:) Even when i have been away a while

panto

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/7/10
pm how much and where your located in the us.

fkom13

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/1/14
Congrats on assembling this fine guide.your workspace serves as an inspiration!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fistball

5/5/15
WORTH a read definitely....that movement is asian clone A21?

DavidsCoaching

14/11/17
England
A very detailed breakdown of movement servicing. It's pretty heavy stuff and not for the faint hearted or inexperienced. It is surprising how the most tiny of things can have a critical impact on the performance of the mechanism.

theclaw25

Known Member
3/3/16
Great detail of servicing a watch movement. Very professional machines here. Great Photos and the most important! the names of some of the précised tools and cleaners to start learning how clean our watches. I don't want to be critics but we used a lot of abbreviation here for watch parts so with this post I don’t need to run like a crazy to the dictionary of abbreviation who we created here for take a word and recognize what mean,so great job here, he used some names of cleaners and special objects (great job by the way for the abbreviation guy, you make a great job too). But I still looking for some “basic cleaning method” less complicated. Service a watch in home with basic. Spend US$450. To US$500.00 on basic tools and cleaners. I don’t need an ultrasonic machine who cost US$4000.00 and regulator to cost US$1600.00. I know people using Rolex and Seiko for 20 year without any service and the watch give a great time. So we need just the basic on less you want to be a watchmaker ,so this is another History. Before the server down we have a lot of all this information but just disappear.

Last edited:

Chuckchewable

Horology Curious
21/1/17
United States
When I opened this thread I was thinking "Oh this is great, I'm going to save so much money learning how to do this myself"
Now I'm thinking "Wow this is complicated. Those guys should charge more."

intransit

Horology Curious
28/5/23
NYC
Now I'm over here in my head calculating the costs of slowly adding (some, most?) of this equipment to my future watch tinkering lab! All I have no is a little set which helps me change the bracelet on my current collection. Spring Bar, hammer, and a little plastic watch band holder.

Time to start upgrading!