• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To Service Your Movement Tutorial!(complete Breakdown)

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
Unfortunately the picture hoster account was terminated. Could you please re-upload the pictures?

TIA
Dr.verylong

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
it would be nice, but this guys last visit was such a long time ago it doesnt even say it in his profile!

budo

Known Member
28/7/09
Wow! this post looked just like what I needed, and then the pics are gone. What a shame if a handy tutorial like this is lost.

None of the vets here who have made copies?

hpy540

Renowned Member
17/10/08
none of the pic's show up

I need to work on my keyless works and none of these pics show up. How do you move the hands to noon if yo cannot adjsut them via the crown and stem? Or do i just pull them and work withthe date change after eveything is back together?
Many say this has helped them with doing it themselves and many just like this kind of stuff so i felt i and my friend would give u a nice show, and yes we do offer this service investigated, it is a repeat but i felt being one of the members who helped get this board started that this kind of stuff is what we r all about!! ENJOY

Starting out we inspect the watch visually and listen to the movement for any anomalous noises that could lead to clues toward problems yet to be seen.

1startingout.jpg

Next we demagnetize the watch for the first time during service. We will also demagnetize the watch again after servicing, right before regulation. Magnetised parts are problematic both for timekeeping and when working on a movement. There is nothing more bothersome than a microscopic screw that sticks to your screwdriver or tweezers. Our machine is a classic bakelite Elimag, it's a common machine you'll find in many watchmakers shops.

2firstwedemagnetize.jpg

Then we open the caseback in our opener. This type of opener is designed to be able to open and tighten casebacks without slipping and marring the caseback.

tightencaseback.jpg

Once the caseback is loose, we go back to the bench and let the mainspring down slowly and carefully.

3thenletthemainspringdown.jpg

After that is done, we release and remove the stem.
4releasingthestem.jpg

5removingthestem.jpg

Then we remove the rotor.

6removingtherotor.jpg

Now we can remove the clamps and take the movement out of the case.

7movementoutofcase.jpg

We put the movement in a movement clamp, replace the stem and and place the hands at 12:00, readying them for removal.

8movementholderhandsat12.jpg

Next we protect the dial and carefully remove the hands with a specially designed tool.

9dialprotecthandremoval.jpg

Once the hands are off they are wrapped in special lint-free watch tissue to protect them from scratches.

10handsremovedpaperwrap.jpg

We do the same with the dial.

11dialremovepaperwrap.jpg

Now the movement is ready to be inspected and disassembled.

12movementreadyinholder.jpg

We remove the balance cap jewels with a special tool made from pegwood for Kif-style springs, normal tweezers for Incablocs.

removebalancecapjewel.jpg

removingcapjewelkifspring.jpg

Once we've got them off we place the cap jewels into a small vial of a toxic chemical called "One dip", or Trichloroethane. The jewels are two-part assemblies that are held together by the capillary action or surface tension of the fine grade of oil used on them. The chemical we put them in dissolves the oil and cleans and "splits" the jewels so we can inspect them and oil them freshly.

capjewelsonedip.jpg

Here they are being oiled again after cleaning. The dot of oil in the middle of them is incredibly small. It must be precisely placed and sized to act and last properly over the years on this critical part of the movement.

oilingcapjewels.jpg

The oiled cap jewels are set aside and we move to disassemble the rest of the movement. Here it is pulled apart and ready for the cleaner.

readytoclean.jpg

Before we clean everything else, first we clean the whole balance assembly in One Dip. It's too delicate for the parts cleaners, and is only further disassembled if there is a serious problem with the hairspring, balance or pivot.

cleaningbalance.jpg

Placing parts in one of the specialized baskets for cleaning. This is one of many different types of baskets we use.

placingpartsinbasket.jpg

Next we move over to the cleaning machines. The machines use special watch-specific flammable cleaning fluids, and care must be exercised around them. Here we see the technician using the mechanical machine, with the powerful industrial ultrasonic going beside it. Both machines are made by L&R, they have been in the watch parts cleaner business for years. They also make the cleaning fluids we use.

Both are effective methods of cleaning, using the same three steps. One cleaner step, using the yellowish fluid seen in the picture, and two rinse steps; the mechanical also having a spin-dry cycle. The ultrasonic is a little slower to use, but sometimes the extra power is required. Usually when busy both machines are running at the same time.

cleaning.jpg

Everything out of the cleaner and ready to go back together.

outofthecleaner.jpg

Once everything is clean and blown or spun dry, we reassemble and lubricate the mainspring barrel. It gets its own large basket for cleaning. 3 different grades of lubricant are used on this one part. It's critical that it work smoothly as this is the power delivery system for the whole watch. That long spring must be tightly wound into the barrel which is smaller than the diameter of a dime.

mainspringunwound.jpg

mainspringrewoundlube.jpg

Then we start reassembling and lubricating the watch. We use 7 different grades of lubricants on a typical ETA automatic. Here the wheel train bridge assembly is back together and the technician is removing any fingerprints or oil smudges with a special cleaning putty on pegwood. This task is performed throughout the reassembly process along with the dust blower to keep the parts perfectly clean.

wheeltrainandmainspringbarrel.jpg

oilingwindbridge.jpg

windingback.jpg

Once reassembled and oiled, we're ready to put the dial and hands back on with our handsetting tool. Again, care is exercised to insure nothing is damaged and the hands are all correctly aligned.

settinghands.jpg

After we get them on, we give them a quick wipe to clean them, again checking that their alignment has not been disturbed by the cleaning.

cleaninghands.jpg

The watch is given a once over again, and is ready to go back into the case. The caseback is placed on loosely to facilitate the adjustments we will make during regulation. All functions are checked for proper operation before we proceed further.

casing.jpg

We give the movement a wind, then if it's an automatic it goes on the automatic winder for 48 hours to help distribute the oils and make sure everything is working well and there are no problems.

winder.jpg

Once it's passed that test, it goes to the timing machine. This machine works both on its own and interfaces with a computer. Here the watch is being tested in the dial up position.

timingdialup.jpg

Here we see one of the readouts as we adjust both the timing machine and the watch for accurate readings.

readout2.jpg

The watch being moved to another position for testing.

changingposition.jpg

Readings will be taken and recorded on a printout for the owner in 5 positions once the watch has been regulated to the technician's satisfaction. After all that, the gaskets are lubricated sparingly with silicone grease, and the caseback is tightened properly.

The rest of the paperwork is filled out, anything worth noting about the watch is recorded, the 1 year guarantee is stapled to the results and notes, and the watch is given a quick wipedown with a 3m microfiber cloth. Finally the watch is ready to return to its owner. And there you have the anatomy of a general watch service!

hope u learned something and enjoyed it

joe

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
this sounds like a very good tutorial but any chance of getting the pics back up to go with the descriptions? :)

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
Nice thread, but your pics arent shown bud. Sort out your Photobucket account ;)

hpy540

Renowned Member
17/10/08
Can some one get the pics in this back up?

Can Someone get the pics here back up? I am working on date chage cog and spring assy

Many say this has helped them with doing it themselves and many just like this kind of stuff so i felt i and my friend would give u a nice show, and yes we do offer this service investigated, it is a repeat but i felt being one of the members who helped get this board started that this kind of stuff is what we r all about!! ENJOY

Starting out we inspect the watch visually and listen to the movement for any anomalous noises that could lead to clues toward problems yet to be seen.

1startingout.jpg

Next we demagnetize the watch for the first time during service. We will also demagnetize the watch again after servicing, right before regulation. Magnetised parts are problematic both for timekeeping and when working on a movement. There is nothing more bothersome than a microscopic screw that sticks to your screwdriver or tweezers. Our machine is a classic bakelite Elimag, it's a common machine you'll find in many watchmakers shops.

2firstwedemagnetize.jpg

Then we open the caseback in our opener. This type of opener is designed to be able to open and tighten casebacks without slipping and marring the caseback.

tightencaseback.jpg

Once the caseback is loose, we go back to the bench and let the mainspring down slowly and carefully.

3thenletthemainspringdown.jpg

After that is done, we release and remove the stem.
4releasingthestem.jpg

5removingthestem.jpg

Then we remove the rotor.

6removingtherotor.jpg

Now we can remove the clamps and take the movement out of the case.

7movementoutofcase.jpg

We put the movement in a movement clamp, replace the stem and and place the hands at 12:00, readying them for removal.

8movementholderhandsat12.jpg

Next we protect the dial and carefully remove the hands with a specially designed tool.

9dialprotecthandremoval.jpg

Once the hands are off they are wrapped in special lint-free watch tissue to protect them from scratches.

10handsremovedpaperwrap.jpg

We do the same with the dial.

11dialremovepaperwrap.jpg

Now the movement is ready to be inspected and disassembled.

12movementreadyinholder.jpg

We remove the balance cap jewels with a special tool made from pegwood for Kif-style springs, normal tweezers for Incablocs.

removebalancecapjewel.jpg

removingcapjewelkifspring.jpg

Once we've got them off we place the cap jewels into a small vial of a toxic chemical called "One dip", or Trichloroethane. The jewels are two-part assemblies that are held together by the capillary action or surface tension of the fine grade of oil used on them. The chemical we put them in dissolves the oil and cleans and "splits" the jewels so we can inspect them and oil them freshly.

capjewelsonedip.jpg

Here they are being oiled again after cleaning. The dot of oil in the middle of them is incredibly small. It must be precisely placed and sized to act and last properly over the years on this critical part of the movement.

oilingcapjewels.jpg

The oiled cap jewels are set aside and we move to disassemble the rest of the movement. Here it is pulled apart and ready for the cleaner.

readytoclean.jpg

Before we clean everything else, first we clean the whole balance assembly in One Dip. It's too delicate for the parts cleaners, and is only further disassembled if there is a serious problem with the hairspring, balance or pivot.

cleaningbalance.jpg

Placing parts in one of the specialized baskets for cleaning. This is one of many different types of baskets we use.

placingpartsinbasket.jpg

Next we move over to the cleaning machines. The machines use special watch-specific flammable cleaning fluids, and care must be exercised around them. Here we see the technician using the mechanical machine, with the powerful industrial ultrasonic going beside it. Both machines are made by L&R, they have been in the watch parts cleaner business for years. They also make the cleaning fluids we use.

Both are effective methods of cleaning, using the same three steps. One cleaner step, using the yellowish fluid seen in the picture, and two rinse steps; the mechanical also having a spin-dry cycle. The ultrasonic is a little slower to use, but sometimes the extra power is required. Usually when busy both machines are running at the same time.

cleaning.jpg

Everything out of the cleaner and ready to go back together.

outofthecleaner.jpg

Once everything is clean and blown or spun dry, we reassemble and lubricate the mainspring barrel. It gets its own large basket for cleaning. 3 different grades of lubricant are used on this one part. It's critical that it work smoothly as this is the power delivery system for the whole watch. That long spring must be tightly wound into the barrel which is smaller than the diameter of a dime.

mainspringunwound.jpg

mainspringrewoundlube.jpg

Then we start reassembling and lubricating the watch. We use 7 different grades of lubricants on a typical ETA automatic. Here the wheel train bridge assembly is back together and the technician is removing any fingerprints or oil smudges with a special cleaning putty on pegwood. This task is performed throughout the reassembly process along with the dust blower to keep the parts perfectly clean.

wheeltrainandmainspringbarrel.jpg

oilingwindbridge.jpg

windingback.jpg

Once reassembled and oiled, we're ready to put the dial and hands back on with our handsetting tool. Again, care is exercised to insure nothing is damaged and the hands are all correctly aligned.

settinghands.jpg

After we get them on, we give them a quick wipe to clean them, again checking that their alignment has not been disturbed by the cleaning.

cleaninghands.jpg

The watch is given a once over again, and is ready to go back into the case. The caseback is placed on loosely to facilitate the adjustments we will make during regulation. All functions are checked for proper operation before we proceed further.

casing.jpg

We give the movement a wind, then if it's an automatic it goes on the automatic winder for 48 hours to help distribute the oils and make sure everything is working well and there are no problems.

winder.jpg

Once it's passed that test, it goes to the timing machine. This machine works both on its own and interfaces with a computer. Here the watch is being tested in the dial up position.

timingdialup.jpg

Here we see one of the readouts as we adjust both the timing machine and the watch for accurate readings.

readout2.jpg

The watch being moved to another position for testing.

changingposition.jpg

Readings will be taken and recorded on a printout for the owner in 5 positions once the watch has been regulated to the technician's satisfaction. After all that, the gaskets are lubricated sparingly with silicone grease, and the caseback is tightened properly.

The rest of the paperwork is filled out, anything worth noting about the watch is recorded, the 1 year guarantee is stapled to the results and notes, and the watch is given a quick wipedown with a 3m microfiber cloth. Finally the watch is ready to return to its owner. And there you have the anatomy of a general watch service!

hope u learned something and enjoyed it

joe

This is kinda a invalubale resource

http://people.timezone.com/mdisher/WatchSchool/pdfs/TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

Toolman12345

Horology Curious
10/12/10
This is a beautifully documented explanation of what goes on, and I appreciate it very much, I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it and studying the pictures. But it is not a tutorial on "how to service your movement", it is an explanation of how an expert with many special tools services a movement. The title is very misleading. The very word Tutorial suggests that one is going to be able to follow the instructions and do something one's self - but many steps obviously assume that one already knows what is being done and how to do it already.

...release and remove the stem - uh, what? How did he do that?? Push? Pull? Move left? Move right?
...remove the rotor - again, how? Does it just lift off, there is nothing securing it?
...remove the hands with a special tool.
I'll stop giving examples now.

This is NOT a tutorial in any way shape or form. Why did it become a sticky with that title? Please understand, I do appreciate this posting, I just disagree with it being called a Tutorial, and it saying "how to service your movement". A much better title would be "How a skilled and trained technician with many special tools services a movement". And leave the word Tutorial off entirely.

colt45gto

Renowned Member
22/12/10
i just read this tut and well....

i am a mechanic or car doctor, i can receive a car in two wheel barrows of nuts and bolts and the bigger parts on a truck. i can put the car back together blind fold. especially a GTO (mitsu) this includes engine and gearbox but...

i have no clue what just happened in the OP of this thread. i can not even think to imagine i could do that! you guys that mess with these watches surely have a talent!

i suppose a watch to you guys is like a car to me only yours is on a smaller scale!

keep up the great work! :D

froggy

Horology Curious
18/1/11
I wish there would have been a little better explanation on how he let the mainspring down before removing the stem. This would have at least got me to the point to where I could remove a movement. Thanks.

yo!

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/12/08
Get post and I agree that is a explanation of what a skilled watch technician does when he/she services your movement.

Anyway, where do I send in my watches for service & repair?