• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to Read Timegrapher Results!

Gulley

It’s just a watch…. or is it?
Certified
19/12/19
South Africa
Super helpful information thank you.

I find myself a little intimidated by the more technical aspects of this Rep hobby but the willingness of members to share information makes the journey an enjoyable one.

Reactions: #1 Hack

#1 Hack

Complete Noob
Certified
5/9/23
Surprise, Arizona
Super helpful information thank you.

I find myself a little intimidated by the more technical aspects of this Rep hobby but the willingness of members to share information makes the journey an enjoyable one.
Completely agree.

Thanks for the great post. I plan on getting a timegrapher soon and now I know at least a little of what I'm looking at.

DonZoro

Got into this hobby by mistake
5/10/23
Middle East
I have had a few member reaching out in regards to the timegraph and how to read it. Repost from RWG.

Beat Number

Frequency, the vibration of a movement. The number of balance wheel swings per hour or how many times the watch ticks per hour. This is a preset, depends on the watch you order.

14,400 bph = 4 beats per second

18,000 bph = 5 beats per second

21,600 bph = 6 beats per second

28,800 bph = 8 beats per second

etc

Lift angel

The angle the balance passes through while interacting with the pallet fork. Important to be set correctly in order to calculate the Amplitude. This preset is per caliber specs.

Most modern watches have a lift angle of 50 - 52 degrees. Generally lift angles range from 44 to 58 degrees. Some other settings are present, for instance Gen co-axials angle is 30 degrees.

Results

Rate

How fast / slow the movement runs (in seconds per day)

great : +/- 5 s/d

acceptable : +/- 12 s/d

If higher / lower?

It is possible to adjust this yourself or ask your dealer to nudge it a bit.

Amplitude

The measure of the amount of rotation in the swing of the balance wheel, in either direction.

Amplitude is higher when a watch is lying flat and usually falls when the watch is in a vertical position, due to increased friction. Amplitude can also fall as the watch winds down and the mainspring delivers less power.

Amplitude is a good indicator of the movements health and if is too high or too low, or that changes too much in different positions, can indicate a problem with the movement.

great : 270-310

acceptable : 250-270

If higher / lower?

Ask for a different watch or have your watch serviced

Beat Error

The amount of time by which the duration of swing differs from one side to the other in the oscillation of a balance wheel. Generally speaking to get a beat error of zero, the roller jewel in the pallet fork must be perfectly centered.

great : 0.0-0.5 ms

acceptable : 0.6-1 ms

If higher?

Ask for a different watch or have your watch serviced.

* Please note that if you are reading your QC from the dealer, you will generally receive only the results of the watch lying flat. All the above recommended measurements are from that position. The measurements in other positions may vary

https://rwg.cc/topic/143934-how-to-read-timegrapher-results/
Very valuable information. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: johnlogan

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Certified
18/12/15
Excellent
H4IvO4.jpeg

aye154

Getting To Know The Place
10/12/23
i thought 200-250 for a 2824 movement is acceptable.

Sossy

Known Member
Supporter
MULTI ACCOUNT
Certified
28/12/21
🇩🇪
Today, I was told by a TD that the DD3285 was measured at an angle of 59 degrees, with an amplitude of 264. I asked him to conduct a new measurement at an angle of 53 degrees, but he declined, stating that it was incorrect. Can someone confirm this?

aye154

10/12/23
in a watch you will keep a few years, and if the watch runs fine, yeah for a cheap clone.
But it indicates the movement is either dirty or dry.
Since it’s a 2824. Wait until it dies or service it?

Reactions: Dave2302

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Since it’s a 2824. Wait until it dies or service it?

Not many rep movements are worth servicing, so yes, when it explodes into a mass fireball of bits flying across the room just buy another movement ;)

If ya can get an upgrade all the better but remember that Crown height, Dial fitment, Hands sizing and Case fitment all need to match unless you are a Franken God with serious experience and Case Lathes etc (y)

aye154

10/12/23
check the prices on AliX for a seagull movt for a swap

ask around for cost of a service knowing the official watchmakers won't do it

learn how to do a mvt swap

😁
you telling me no one would put in a movement after one dies?
Not many rep movements are worth servicing, so yes, when it explodes into a mass fireball of bits flying across the room just buy another movement ;)

If ya can get an upgrade all the better but remember that Crown height, Dial fitment, Hands sizing and Case fitment all need to match unless you are a Franken God with serious experience and Case Lathes etc (y)
thanks boss :p

• Haha
Reactions: Dave2302

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
thanks boss :p

LOL, far from Boss, but simply passing on what I have learned which is that some of these replica Mvts are like half the price of a proper serevice / rebuild / update.

Now if it was a mvt that crapped out every 6 months i'd consider updating it or buying a better version of the same watch.

Another thing I learned recently is some of these reps actually use original movement, a good example being the Ronda in TAG Heuer Chrono's, because it is relatively cheap Swiss Mvt to begin with, so the higher quality TAGs use Ronda.

Reactions: flashu and Karbon74

lovegensandreps

Kodo Constant-Force Tourbillon rep when?
Supporter
Certified
22/9/22
EU
Nice post, I knew that the amplitude needed to be high but never knew what the amplitude represented or that it can even be a problem if its too high.

xander8

Do not accept unsolicited offers
22/7/24
Very clear explanation, thank you for this.
Just received QC pics and vids so its very nice to double check it with this 👌🏻

Air4TK

Known Member
2/8/24
I have had a few member reaching out in regards to the timegraph and how to read it. Repost from RWG.

Beat Number

Frequency, the vibration of a movement. The number of balance wheel swings per hour or how many times the watch ticks per hour. This is a preset, depends on the watch you order.

14,400 bph = 4 beats per second

18,000 bph = 5 beats per second

21,600 bph = 6 beats per second

28,800 bph = 8 beats per second

etc

Lift angel

The angle the balance passes through while interacting with the pallet fork. Important to be set correctly in order to calculate the Amplitude. This preset is per caliber specs.

Most modern watches have a lift angle of 50 - 52 degrees. Generally lift angles range from 44 to 58 degrees. Some other settings are present, for instance Gen co-axials angle is 30 degrees.

Results

Rate

How fast / slow the movement runs (in seconds per day)

great : +/- 5 s/d

acceptable : +/- 12 s/d

If higher / lower?

It is possible to adjust this yourself or ask your dealer to nudge it a bit.

Amplitude

The measure of the amount of rotation in the swing of the balance wheel, in either direction.

Amplitude is higher when a watch is lying flat and usually falls when the watch is in a vertical position, due to increased friction. Amplitude can also fall as the watch winds down and the mainspring delivers less power.

Amplitude is a good indicator of the movements health and if is too high or too low, or that changes too much in different positions, can indicate a problem with the movement.

great : 270-310

acceptable : 250-270

If higher / lower?

Ask for a different watch or have your watch serviced

Beat Error

The amount of time by which the duration of swing differs from one side to the other in the oscillation of a balance wheel. Generally speaking to get a beat error of zero, the roller jewel in the pallet fork must be perfectly centered.

great : 0.0-0.5 ms

acceptable : 0.6-1 ms

If higher?

Ask for a different watch or have your watch serviced.

* Please note that if you are reading your QC from the dealer, you will generally receive only the results of the watch lying flat. All the above recommended measurements are from that position. The measurements in other positions may vary

https://rwg.cc/topic/143934-how-to-read-timegrapher-results/
Thanks you so much, this post helped me understand the QC results i received for my 1st order.