• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

how to pronounce Omega? Is Bond is right?

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
chief3630 said:
"Patek Philippe - pa-tek fee-leep"

I don't agree with this one either......I pronounced it that way at an AD and the lady acted like she didn't know what the hell I was talking about. The times I've actually heard someone else say it was more like

Pat-ick Fee-leep

If you mean that Pa-tek is pronounced as Pay-tek (long a, as in the word "pay"), it's wrong. It shouldn't be pat-ick either, as far as french pronunciation rules go, the word Patek sounds like Pah-tek (a is pronounced as in 'bar' and e is pronounced as in 'bent').

Plus, I've heard several AD's call the brand Pah-tek Fee-leep, but I can't say how Patek people themselves pronounce it.

Not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, just sharing my opinion / interpretation [smilie=angel7.gif]

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
marinlicina said:
If you mean that Pa-tek is pronounced as Pay-tek (long a, as in the word "pay"), it's wrong. It shouldn't be pat-ick either, as far as french pronunciation rules go, the word Patek sounds like Pah-tek (a is pronounced as in 'bar' and e is pronounced as in 'bent').

Plus, I've heard several AD's call the brand Pah-tek Fee-leep, but I can't say how Patek people themselves pronounce it.

Not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, just sharing my opinion / interpretation [smilie=angel7.gif]

Yeah, I always thought and pronounced it like Pah-tek, but the AD manager corrected me. She knew her stuff too as far as I could tell, she talked about being flown to the Patek headquarters and knew the models extensively. Also here in the states, Pat-ick is how the shopnbc and watch show guys say it on the TV. Not that I take their word as golden (or else I would be convinced no watch with a eta- 2824 could be had for under $400 in the world in all of time), but they do go to Basel every year so they must have heard the Swiss say it. I am sure millions of people say it both ways, but it is one that I actually did change the way I pronounce it.

Rollex

Renowned Member
3/3/07
robc_uk said:
subseeker said:
No wonder Rolex sells tons of watches..

How easy it is to say the name!

Rolex. Rolex... Just say as written. Rol-Ex.

Don't you mean row (as in boat) lex :?:

Rob

so Rolex should should be spoken more like Row-lex? :)

amk000

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/3/06
Dukie said:
how to pronounce "Omega"

TimeZone has this to say.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

word pronunciation - a complete guide

Posted by K Dombrova on April 05, 1998 at 15:57:08:

I have seen many posts about correct pronunciation of watch brands. I have included below a more complete list as indicated in the book "Complete Price Guide To Watches" 1997 edition, published by Cooksey and Shugart. I hope I'm not infringing on any copy write laws. These are the more common names, the book, however is filled with many more:

1. Audemars Piguet - aw-dee-MAR, PEE-gay
2. Baume & Mercier - bome-MAY & mair-cyay
3. Blancpain - Blahnk-Pan
4. Breitling - BRITE-ling
5. Cartier - kar-t-yay
6. Chopard - show-par
7. Corum - Kore-um
8. Ebel - AY-ble
9. Girrard Perregaux - jir-ard per-ay-go
10. Heuer - HEW-er
11. Ingraham - ing-gram
12. Jaeger - YAY-gur
13. A. Lange & Sohne - A. lahng un zoo-nah
14. Le Coultre - luh-kool-tray
15. Longines - LAWNG-jeen
16. Movado - moe-VAH-doe
17. Nardin - nar din

*18. Omega - oh-me-guh

19. Patek Philippe - pa-tek fee-leep
20. Piaget - pee-uh-jaay
21. Piguet - pee gay
22. Rado - rah-doe
23. Schaffausen - shaf-HOW-zun
24. Tissot - tee-SOh
25. Vacheron & Constantin - VASH-er-on, CON-stan-teen
26. Wittnauer - Wit-nower
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest ..... I found most of the pronounciation for Time Zone ..... to be completeley wrong and rather ridiculous.
For exampe .... If you go to a luxury watch shop and ask for AY-ble (Ebel) , I can assure you that they tell you they never heard about it.

As rule: Names in foreign language should not change. Should be pronounced as in this language.
If you never heard the name / sound of it, in the original language, as a simple rule use the Latin mode (say it as you read it). It works in most of the cases.