• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to install genuine datewheel onto JF SH3135 (no sanding + no gen part needed)

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
pompompurin do you know how thick is gen DW?

You want to know how thin or how deep the SH date plate is? The issue is the fact that the date plate isn't deep enough. A lot of these issues are almost a mute point now. This has been repaired by the VR movement and the last SHV2 that I have I had no issue putting a real date wheel in it.

The older SH the date plate 3135-600 wasn't deep enough for the date wheel to freely move. There were tricks, removing the jewel or pushing the studs up to give it room. Also people got this mistaken with the date wheel getting stuck on the finger if quick setting which is a different issue.

Reactions: Cadows and KJ2020

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
The older SH the date plate 3135-600 wasn't deep enough for the date wheel to freely move. There were tricks, removing the jewel or pushing the studs up to give it room. Also people got this mistaken with the date wheel getting stuck on the finger if quick setting which is a different issue.

Did they fix the dateplate on the SH3186 ?

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Did they fix the dateplate on the SH3186 ?

Yes. That is the movement I picked to throw right into the build. I put a real date wheel right on that bad boy and it works fine.

The main thickness issue with the 3135 and the 3185/86 is the date plate. It is different and deeper to accommodate the GMT wheels and jewel. The VRF also zero issue with replacing the date wheel.

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
You want to know how thin or how deep the SH date plate is? The issue is the fact that the date plate isn't deep enough. A lot of these issues are almost a mute point now. This has been repaired by the VR movement and the last SHV2 that I have I had no issue putting a real date wheel in it.

Im doing a DW project (3135, 2824, 2836) so I want to know the thickness of gen 3135 DW

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
I don't want to risk scratching the paint on any of my day wheels to check the thickness.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
This is the method I plan on doing when I install my gen datewheel on my JF 16610. I’ve read this on a few forums now and apparently, it works like a charm. I’ve heard about people sanding the gen datewheel. That just sounds like blasphemy. R Factory parts should not be messed with!

Oh and be careful. Apparently those little studs or whatever they are, are very brittle so they can snap. However, they really don’t really do anything except hold the datewheel in place, from what I’ve read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Im doing a DW project (3135, 2824, 2836) so I want to know the thickness of gen 3135 DW

I don’t have digital calipers but make of this what you will.
dd3c4c521186f885954dcfa4ea23a83a.jpg

I would say it’s about 0.25mm. Or less. You can buy a basic overlay. That should be about the same thickness.

What’s odd is.. every rep 3135 datewheel I have seen is much thicker than this because it’s an overlay sitting on top of a blank datewheel. I don’t think the thickness is the issue bc the teeth on the gen are wider that the teeth on the rep. I think that is what gets jammed up more than the thickness. Seating it correctly gives the teeth more wiggle room to flip over bc it has room to move outward to get to the next gear.

That’s my guess anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cadows

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
I don’t have digital calipers but make of this what you will.
dd3c4c521186f885954dcfa4ea23a83a.jpg

I would say it’s about 0.25mm. Or less. You can buy a basic overlay. That should be about the same thickness.

What’s odd is.. every rep 3135 datewheel I have seen is much thicker than this because it’s an overlay sitting on top of a blank datewheel. I don’t think the thickness is the issue bc the teeth on the gen are wider that the teeth on the rep. I think that is what gets jammed up more than the thickness. Seating it correctly gives the teeth more wiggle room to flip over bc it has room to move outward to get to the next gear.

That’s my guess anyway.

Thanks bro

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
I've just come back to this all this time later. - You're such a gem Pom! Such an awesome video. This worked beautifully for me! Yahoo!!

Last edited: