• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How often do people spot your APs?

Carib

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/10
Hello gents,
I'm thinking about getting an AP ROO, but afraid that I won't be able to pull it off if someone notices it on my wrist. So I'm just wondering for those of you rocking the APs, how often do you get spotted by people? And what were the their and your reactions?

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
I've never had anyone out in the public call me out. Half of the time they don't even have a clue what they're looking at. I'm 21 and it's not normal for someone like me to be wearing a $15k watch but then again, how do they know my dad isn't an oil magnate? All I'm saying is wear whatever makes you happy and don't care about what other people think. More than often the people that will call you out are some incompetent and arrogant jerks that are only trying to make someone else feel bad because they're life's bitch

Lorentzo

4/5/10
I have never got busted with my RO jumbo, but that is mainly because I wear it only at special occasions with suit or a coat.
If I would wear it every day many people would probably think that it is fake. A 21 year student can very rarely afford to put 10k$ and up on a watch. Perhaps they don't say it but I think 99-100 % of the 0.1 % that actually notice it and know the brand will think it is fake if I wear it with a normal everyday outfit.

Yannou

10/2/07
EU
I'm old enough to wear this brand but I have never been called...Nobody knows what it is....

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Most of the people do not know about AP, but everybody knows Rolex.
The Mans captain of my Golf Club said to me, you have a nice watch.
So I took off my modded AP black themes and gave it to him and he had it on during dinner. He gave it back to me after dinner and said, what a nice watch,
I will save some money and buy one soon.

Reactions: jcguo0516

skipow

12/2/10
Guy at my rooftop pool here in Chicago noticed my AP volcano on Monday. He loved it, said he never sees them.

Darthmemnoch

Renowned Member
10/9/07
I get stares when I wear my chronopassion. Maybe its just cause its a really nice watch :)

Carib

27/12/10
Thanks for the input guys! Sounds like I'll be relatively safe wearing a ROO :p I'm a 27-yo final-year med student, and spend most of my time in the hospital. As "high risk" as that environment might be, I think the majority of physicians only know about Rolexes. And for those few who can spot other brands I will just come clean when asked :D I have got on the good side of many fearsome attendings/preceptors through conversations about their expensive watches :D RWI has given me an additional way to survive the "meat grinders", LOL

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
You're safe wearing an AP :). I can remember only once somebody spotted it. While I was in the waiting line at the supermarket. The guy behind me was sporting a gen daytona en he was literally staring at my AP ROO Panda. His head followed the watch all the time... Funny thing was that he wanted me to spot his Rollie, showing up his wrist all the time and pulling his sleeve up...

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
How do you know it was a gen? It was probably LHOOQ :D

Dodgy

Renowned Member
20/12/09
My Blackthemes gets noticed all the time.

People here know watches.

LP640

18/1/09
so far no one ever spots my Survivor LOL, which is a good thing anyway.

eddiem32

Horology Curious
26/7/10
* living in NYC..i can tell you NEVER EVER judge a book by its color...i was in the offiical AP store in midtown once..and lady who you would have given a dollar to for food...bought a 120k$ ladies AP cash....thats right

* who cares what people think- the most well to do people you never know who they are...real APs,Pams, and even more expensive are everywhere...you never know a persons story.....wear it with pride and confidence...

LP640

18/1/09
* living in NYC..i can tell you NEVER EVER judge a book by its color...i was in the offiical AP store in midtown once..and lady who you would have given a dollar to for food...bought a 120k$ ladies AP cash....thats right

* who cares what people think- the most well to do people you never know who they are...real APs,Pams, and even more expensive are everywhere...you never know a persons story.....wear it with pride and confidence...

Dude,..that's why she was able to buy one. People walking around with gold hanging all over them tell you something...they probably dont have much in the bank ! LOL on thst note, your 100% correct.

jiddy

Renowned Member
15/4/10
Got my fair share of comments wearing my black theme, but so far no one ever asked "is it fake?" the just marvel over how awesome it is and that´it is their favourite watch.
As stated before, not many knows how much they cost but a few seen it in ads ;)

Had it on my wrist in Nice a few days ago checking out watches on the airport and the woman were more then eager to "help me try on a new watch" didn´t go as far as asking to try the platinum Breguet tourbillon they had there...

So wear it and enjoy it :)

k04s4

3/4/11
I have a total of 5 ROO's now. I've had three different events and they never noticed the flaws.
Once at starbucks with my rubberclad. The guy behind me said nice ap looked over and he had the same one on that was gen (crown side shot).
Then i was at a outdoor lunch with the rubberclad and a former co-worker said that's a serious watch (he was wearing a patek gen).
Then out at a nightclub with the Panda on white alligator band (screams attention) and the next table in Vip the guy had the gen on hornback. I actually found out that i knew the guy and he is an attorney (small world). I've never been called out!!

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
I think many people do not realize that they make reps of these watches, as opposed to Rolex. One of the reasons I always avoided getting a Rolex, rep or gen. They were so common hence the most repped.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
I think many people do not realize that they make reps of these watches, as opposed to Rolex. One of the reasons I always avoided getting a Rolex, rep or gen. They were so common hence the most repped.

Wow man, you went back in time to dedust this thread :D