• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How often do people spot your APs?

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
9 Years. Wow, great job

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
QueTip its a mega necro-post yes, but I do think its an interesting topic/question which is relevant even until today. :hehehe:

Reactions: Allure

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
Yup, I was searching for something completely different to the topic and it popped up and I didn't even bother lookin at the date. :p​​​​​​... Not that it matters. It is a good subject.

Reactions: Tobel

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yup, I was searching for something completely different to the topic and it popped up and I didn't even bother lookin at the date. :p​​​​​​... Not that it matters. It is a good subject.

Well, 9 years and the rule is still the same:

If you are confident, have the right attitude and don't give a damn, it won't matter what others think if you like the watch.
I do agree that its a good subject/question which can basically apply to every luxury brand in existence, especially the more popular ones like Rolex and AP.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
The term “no ones knows AP” really depends on your social circle(s).

Generally speaking, and in my personal experience only, the ones that DO know AP, are the ones that want to take a closer look out of general interest....it’s only takes 1 in your circle to really rock your boat, especially if you’re a paranoid rep buyer that thinks the whole world spends days on end in their mums basement memorising gen vs rep differences to a point where they can spot a rep from space.

In reality, as legend says you need to get to the point where you just don’t give a dam and it’s at that point where you’d struggle to convince even seasoned AP buyers that it’s a rep (on the wrist).

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Interesting indeed, like a long term "how do I feel looking at myself in the mirror" type of social analysis LOL.

I was wondering if the original question from 9y back was about how one feels when wearing an AP as a luxury watch in general, or really about the fear (or lack of fear, it can be seen that way too) to be spotted with a counterfeit one on the wrist.

I guess second option is the right one. Times flies, concerns and their answers remain the same.

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Wore one AP roo panda noob to a car show and received a few comments, felt good however I wanted to wear a Schumi at first, glad I did not!
No problems with the diver lineup they make a great daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
Wore one AP roo panda noob to a car show and received a few comments, felt good however I wanted to wear a Schumi at first, glad I did not!
No problems with the diver lineup they make a great daily.

Heh, yeah, at a Tesla meet up wore a gen Breitling and saw a guy's gen Patek blue dial Nautilus and said "Nice watch!" he immediately took it off and handed it to me saying, "feel how light it is" where I got a nice look and thought, wow 70k, sure feels "Light" :rolleyes: glad that I didn't wear my only roo rep, cause I'd have to tell him it was a 3 dollar bill. Then we got to talk watches. Better than talking Tesla anyways. :p

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Been wearing gen AP Royal Oaks for a decade and just now switching to gen. Everyone knows me as a serious AP and Patek collector and no one would ever call me out.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Been wearing gen AP Royal Oaks for a decade and just now switching to gen. Everyone knows me as a serious AP and Patek collector and no one would ever call me out.

I think everyone on this board has read your serious collector mollector type of posts at least once. So are you done then?

Reactions: JTO

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I think everyone on this board has read your serious collector mollector type of posts at least once. So are you done then?

Well bro maybe he is thinking that he’s the only one owning gen (in CAPS and bold red letters 15ft high) APs and Pateks here and the mere mention of which will put the community in worship mode. :hehehe:

Pardon me Accord11 for not being impressed the slightest. It’s sad when you feel the need to mention your *yawn* Patek collection in every post you make. Like you I own gen Pateks, APs (and brand new unworn Rolexes too and guess what I’m far from being the only one!) but unlike you I don’t need to use this little irrelevant and boring trivia as my calling card in every post I make. It gets boring and shallow after the 6000th time. If you’re here after a rep then get the rep and go on your way. No need for the monotonous and repetitive posts stating the same thing over and over.

Why not create a signature for your posts proclaiming your status as a renowned gen patek collector so that you don’t have to keep reminding everyone? It’s a lot more efficient than having to repeat it daily like a mantra. While you’re at it don’t forget also to include every accolade you’ve earned since your nursery days, I’m sure they are equally impressive.

Reactions: Allure and JTO

Globex

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/8/20
To be honest I rarely look if it's a gen or a rep, I like to more just admire the watch and it's esthetics and even if I spot someone that it's a rep I wouldn't call them out on it. The only time I do is when someone tries to brag with a DH Gate quartz shitter and claiming it to be gen :facepalm: Then I really can't help it.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
To be honest I rarely look if it's a gen or a rep, I like to more just admire the watch and it's esthetics and even if I spot someone that it's a rep I wouldn't call them out on it. The only time I do is when someone tries to brag with a DH Gate quartz shitter and claiming it to be gen :facepalm: Then I really can't help it.

I attend the local AP collector meet ups and believe it or not you get guys who wear reps (including 2-3 frankens which are just more expensive reps) to the meetings for reasons of their own. Of course most if not all the gen owners at the meetings have no clue that the fancy looking rep APs are reps but I do.
To be completely candid these rep owners are nice people and I saw no reason to call them out at all, even if they have no business attending the gatherings in the first place.

I agree with you therefore, that people get called out more for their attitude than the tells on their rep watches alone.

Reactions: Allure

macarone

Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
I attend the local AP collector meet ups and believe it or not you get guys who wear reps (including 2-3 frankens which are just more expensive reps) to the meetings for reasons of their own. Of course most if not all the gen owners at the meetings have no clue that the fancy looking rep APs are reps but I do.
To be completely candid these rep owners are nice people and I saw no reason to call them out at all, even if they have no business attending the gatherings in the first place.

I agree with you therefore, that people get called out more for their attitude than the tells on their rep watches alone.

Great attitude! It’s like we all fear getting called out and never come to mind actually calling someone else out! If so at the end of the day I wonder how I’d feel now knowing this hobby is great, has meaning, worth and skills to appreciate the talent within by bringing someone’s pride of their possessions to a lower level? If they present it as gen well lol they have it coming.

Reactions: legend

Roguetheory

7/9/20
EU

You should send each of them an anonymous letter saying “I know what you did at the AP meeting last summer”.

Last edited:

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
“Call out” fucking lol

Who actually does that?? other than the odd 18 year old jealous kid trying to get one up on their pal.