• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How many of you guys have had customproblems in EU?

FedeROLEX

Horology Curious
2/9/06
Italy
... by the way, items shipped from one EU country to another EU country are not subject to customs control...

robc_uk

25/11/06
FedeROLEX said:
... by the way, items shipped from one EU country to another EU country are not subject to customs control...

Yes, but I think the question was about Norway. Norway is in the EEA (European Economic Area) but isn't in the EU. [smilie=icon_rr.gif]

DP.DarkSide

Known Member
27/12/06
Last week I posted an article about custom problems happenning in Europe. If you did not get a chance to read it from there find it below.

German Customs Seize Record Amounts of Pirated Goods
The German customs service seized record amounts of pirated goods in 2006. Drug seizures were up too, although fewer smuggled cigarettes were uncovered.

Want to buy a pair of counterfeit Nikes or a fake Rolex in Germany? You might have to look a bit harder than usual this year -- German customs officials have announced they seized record amounts of pirated goods in 2006.

German customs seized pirated goods to the value of €1.2 billion ($1.6 billion) in 2006 -- more than five times the 2005 total of €213.4 million.

Product piracy was "not a trivial offence but real criminality," German Finance Minister Peer Steinbrück said Tuesday, speaking at Munich airport at the annual press conference of the customs service. Piracy "damages the economy and is abhorrent," he said, adding that it puts an estimated 70,000 jobs in Germany in danger and causes losses of around €25 billion each year for German companies.

According to customs officials, a third of pirated products come from China, with a further 20 percent from Thailand, Malaysia and other east Asian countries. Hamburg harbor, which is Germany's biggest port, is the main entry point in Germany for counterfeit goods. The largest single incident was at Hamburg harbor in the fall of 2006, where 117 containers full of counterfeit shoes, clothes and watches to the value of over €380 million were found.

The scale of the problem is illustrated by a spectacular case of piracy discovered in November 2005 in the Dutch city of Venlo. Customers officers found a complete counterfeit Nike store in a warehouse, complete with exact copies of shelves, counters, changing rooms and even the swinging doors typical of Nike stores. The intention was clearly to open a complete replica store selling counterfeit wares, customs officers said.

Steinbrück said that stricter checks on consumers in Germany would not solve the problem. "I would not be able to walk through downtown Munich or Nuremberg and check the soles of everyone's sneakers," he said.

Drug seizures were also on the up last year, with 3.2 metric tons of hashish seized, up from 1.6 tons in 2005. The amount of cocaine found also increased from 896 kilograms in 2005 to 1.5 tons in 2006. Seizures of heroin also were up, increasing from 456 kilograms seized in 2005 to 529 in 2006, but the amount of amphetamines nabbed stayed relatively stable at 263 kilograms seized in 2006, compared to 269 kilograms the previous year. However seizures of smuggled cigarettes decreased in 2006, going down to 415 million from 735 million in 2005.

Seizures of smuggled endangered plants and animals also saw an increase in 2006, from 39,000 items seized in 2005 to 53,000 in 2006. These included both live specimens and species made into handbags, belts, shoes, medicines or musical instruments. Experts say that the smuggling of endangered species is a growing problem.

Steinbrück thanked the 40,000 employees of the customs service "with a certain pride and massive respect." The customs service are responsible for half of Germany's tax income, contributing around €104 billion in taxes per year from customs and excise duties.

v00id

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/6/06
POLAND. Three - EMS - watches held by CUSTOMS. All destroyed. Omega & Cartier didn't have any law problems. Rolex Yes. Still waiting for letter from Rolex. Lets hope everything will be fine.

And still waiting from replacment from great dealer Angus - this time FEDEX and other adress.

Custom agent told me whole Euro Union have same EMS database info with same blacklisted adreses from clients and suppliers.

Cheers

gjermund123

Known Member
22/5/06
I've had multiple replicas shipped to Norway from Trusty, and a couple of UK sources (you know who you are..) plus gens, although mostly from US sources, but also Jordan and Hong Kong. Either EMS or airmail. Never a problem, a couple stopped briefly to check if they should have VAT on them. But that never happened. And that's about 15-20 watches, maybe half of them replicas. No transactions since January though, things may have changed since then.

eyes1000

1/11/06
Just today I've been at the spanish customs post office to reject a shipment by EMS. Watches are now back to Josh, and waiting for a new shipment, I hope by FedEx this time. This is the third time this happens (... and I hope the last), and always with EMS. I'll never, NEVER buy any watch shipped by EMS again.

FedeROLEX

Horology Curious
2/9/06
Italy
In my opinion, EMS from the Far East to Europe (but the UK) shall be avoided.
I would suggest dealers to exploit more the use of Registered Airmail (Poste Raccomandé): it takes some more days to arrive, but it is cheaper and generally passes thru customs more easily, unless the customs declaration states "watch" on it!!!!

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
A dealer from Thailand (not from this board) sent me a watch and it got caught by the dutch customs. It was shipped via FedEx. I got a letter from them in a threathening tone where they asked me to agree with the confiscation or I will be prosecuted. Of course, I agreed with them confiscating the watch.

Andrew sent me my SMP via China Express something courier. It arrived in three days. The watch was hidden inside a toy (a plastic police car) and it said "TOY FOR GIFT" on the box, so much for the gift theory.

Garablaster

14/1/07
Definitively

- 15 watches by TNT, in packets of 3. All seized and destroyed in Belgium customs. :( :(

NAVIGATER

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
31/10/06
Garablaster said:
Definitively

- 15 watches by TNT, in packets of 3. All seized and destroyed in Belgium customs. :( :(

That is your own fault, sorry for saying that but ordering 15 watches in only 3 packets is just stupid and using TNT into Belgium is also stupid. I gues it was Trusty again who used TNT to Belgium and the TNT center in Liege got them

Greetings Navi :wink:

Garablaster

14/1/07
:roll: Sorry for my horrible English. I want to say:

- 5 packets of 3 watches in diferent dates

I know another guys with seized shipments in this dates, with only one watch in a packet. :(

- The packets were to Spain (through belgium)

NAVIGATER

Banned
31/10/06
Garablaster said:
:roll: Sorry for my horrible English. I want to say:

- 5 packets of 3 watches in diferent dates

I know another guys with seized shipments in this dates, with only one watch in a packet. :(

- The packets were to Spain (through belgium)

No problem with your english i think mine is also like shit...

Ok that make it a little bit better but for now everytime i here somebody who used TNT and reps they got seized by the customs in Belgium, strange that it always go via Belgium so i think this guys a realy realy god or the already know every dealers shipment adress till know and they know where to look.
But was it from trusty? DO you get a refund for the seized watches?

paulV

4/11/06
I don't know for other countries, but for Belgium
"Recorded mail" is best and cheapest way.
Never use courier company or EMS.
Keep packet as small as possible.....

Garablaster

14/1/07
- I think Lieja Customs it's being hard and hard with controls....

- Not they were from Ruby and Ruby sent me again by another courier. :roll:

NAVIGATER

Banned
31/10/06
paulV said:
I don't know for other countries, but for Belgium
"Recorded mail" is best and cheapest way.
Never use courier company or EMS.
Keep packet as small as possible.....

I would saythe same, last little package from ruby to belgium was also registered mail and it did not even had to go via customs at all

Garablaster said:
- I think Lieja Customs it's being hard and hard with controls....

- Not they were from Ruby and Ruby sent me again by another courier. :roll:

Realy nice from here giving a refund for 15 watches in total, that is a lot of money

FedeROLEX

Horology Curious
2/9/06
Italy
That's strange...
It dates back to Oct 2006. A package was shipped from CN to Italy thru China Express/TNT and crossed EU customs in Belgium without problems in spite of the really bad attached customs documentation (no invoice, just an almost illegible customs declaration...). It was a small package anyway...

I am trying to get RWI dealer Trevor to test Registered Airmail, but I failed so far....

FedeROLEX

Horology Curious
2/9/06
Italy
Just one watch seized and desappeared, shipped with EMS. (to Italy)

I confirm: the best shipping method to the continental EU is Registered Airmail...

robc_uk

25/11/06
For UK EMS is still ok. Once it arrives in the UK it is handed over to our tried and detested ParcelForce to be delivered. This tends to mean it sails through customs but it may get lost if the driver drops it to the local sorting office if you aren't in to sign for it :shock:
I always get mine delivered to work for this reason but have to keep the mailroom informed as having timing devices put through the postal xray machine tends to set off the BOMB alarm :shock:
Rob

spooky driver

29/4/07
ok rob where ta fe*k do you work?

i've get 10 watches through HM Revenue & Customs, Coventry uk then on to Belfast without any issues......