• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help- need some advice on replacing a second hand

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Thanks Sir. I have indeed tried that in the past and found these presses to be a good tool. My biggest problem right now is actually positioning the hand to be pressed. I simply lack the dexterity and motor control for tweezing left handed. I either drop the hand or shake too much.

I thought I might try a pin vise to clamp the hand and position it that way but worried about damaging the hand.

Either way I am exceptionally grateful for all the advice.
The only thing i think might be good is soldering helping hand. Maybe grab a rodico with the jaws and grab hands with the rodico and position the "helping hand" above the pinion and press with your working hand.

Here is what I'm talking about

Reactions: APjumbo

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Many thanks to everyone who has responded here. I can’t express how much I appreciate all the advice. @KJ2020 , @Oascom ,@APjumbo you folks are all rockstars.
Bro try the tape technique. Put the hand upside down on a scratch free surface, pick up the tail. Rest your hand on worktop to place it. Fold the tape over for more control (closer grip) and no sticking to the tweezers.

z6G2GL.jpg

z6GhpQ.jpg

z6GLAR.jpg

z6Ge88.jpg

Using my non dominant hand for test purposes. Once in place, stabilize with the tip on the spring tool or your pen tool.

z6GOGX.gif

Last edited:

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
This is a great thread!

Today, I spent about 5 hours removing and installing hands on a GMT I bought about 10 years ago. I used a combination of tweezers, Rodico and Horotec pencil-style pushers. And a 40X loupe!

This is the video I used as a guide. There are two parts to it: one for the hour and minute hand, and one for the seconds hand. For me, it was very helpful.

I'll probably get a good quality 3-pin press, but I'm confident replacing hands this way now, which has always been where I've come unstuck. And, after 5 hours, the movement still works perfectly. However, the second hand is a little looser on the pinion.

Reactions: RDRoss

tbandy

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
16/6/21
Miami, FL USA
I was in your same situation trying to set the seconds hand on the pinion but my hands shake just a little enough to don't allowed me to
Set the seconds hand in the right spot, then I had this idea that worked very well.
I used a Pegwood and put a little piece of rodico at the flat end of the stick, that way the seconds hand stuck on the stick
Then everything worked just great, I recommend you to try it you wouldn't be disappointed.

Reactions: RDRoss