• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help- need some advice on replacing a second hand

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Hey folks,
Thanks in advance for having a look in on this for me.

About a year and a half back I was in an accident that damaged my dominant hand. I have lost some sensation and mobility in it and haven’t been able to manage much in terms of watch work. I recently got my hands on a nice XF pelagos but it arrived with the hands buggered (swinging freely around). I figured I could manage that just fine as all they seemed to need was a quick pressing back in place and all would be good. Queue the fun.

Well, as clone 2824s are known to do, when I pulled the crown and stem, the keyless crapped itself. On to the replacement movement. Now I need to move the dial etc over to the new victim and damn it. My hands are near useless with setting the second hand in place (to my absolute effing frustration).

I was wondering if anyone had any good hacks / tips that might help this semi crippled idiot (aka me) out?

Once again, thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
RD

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
What do you use in terms of hand pressing? Regular pen style hand setters?
Old school pen style and bergeon 7026 tweezer. I’m thinking maybe a pin vice might help in this case?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You will find that even a fairly inexpensive hand setting tool like the one linked below will make things far simpler for you. Put your movement in a holder, and center the second hand pinion under the tool's tip. Then put a piece of yellow bracelet tape under the tail of the second hand and use that to place the second hand onto its pinion. Lower the pressing tip onto the hand's center plate and test whether or not the hand collar feels like it is centered over the pinion. If so, press it home. You can remove the tape while gently holding the unpressed hand down or after it has been pressed.

I can't overstate how much easier and more accurate hand setting becomes with the use of one of these tools.

I'm not endorsing this specific product, just shown as an example. You can spend a lot more and generally you will get what you pay for.

US $7.02 36%OFF | 1/3/5 Heads Watch Hand Presser Setting Fitting Remover Puller Plunger Set Aluminum Alloy Watch Parts Repair Tool for Watchmaker

Last edited:

Timmer

Known Member
Patron
Certified
17/1/22
Thank you KJ (again) for another pearl of wisdom; and a follow-up question if I may:

is it worth replacing/repairing a second hand pinion on a VR 3135 that I destroyed with pen style pusher, or just keep it for spare parts?

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Thank you KJ (again) for another pearl of wisdom; and a follow-up question if I may:

is it worth replacing/repairing a second hand pinion on a VR 3135 that I destroyed with pen style pusher, or just keep it for spare parts?
If you know how to it's worth it, but train wheel bridge has to come off. Thats quite involving

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

I would try to repair it, if it's just the shaft being bent a little. I've also managed to reseat the shaft onto its gear a time or two. But for most tinkerers. if that part is shot there's not much hope of fixing it. If you can get a replacement part that's always nice. Maybe buy a dead movement and scavenge the part from it.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I find my hand pressing spring tool frustrating, I also find holding with tweezers sometimes frustrating.

I like to hold the tip of the seconds hand with a piece of rodico with my left hand which is resting on the bench to hold steady, then press with a pencil style tool with the right hand, while looking through a loupe.

Sometimes it leaves a bit of residue on the hands, but then again sometimes tweezers scratch. That is what works best for me.

Timmer

Known Member
Patron
Certified
17/1/22
Thank you Oascom, I will save it for a project this coming winter. Would you recommend using an LCD microscope for working on movements - they're available now for about the price of a clone movement? My 'flip-down" 6x magnifiers don't quite cut it. Also, would you know where to buy the "bracelet tape" KJ mentions above?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I find my hand pressing spring tool frustrating, I also find holding with tweezers sometimes frustrating.

I like to hold the tip of the seconds hand with a piece of rodico with my left hand which is resting on the bench to hold steady, then press with a pencil style tool with the right hand, while looking through a loupe.

Sometimes it leaves a bit of residue on the hands, but then again sometimes tweezers scratch. That is what works best for me.
You could try some tweezers with plastic tips. There are cheaper ones.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you Oascom, I will save it for a project this coming winter. Would you recommend using an LCD microscope for working on movements - they're available now for about the price of a clone movement? My 'flip-down" 6x magnifiers don't quite cut it. Also, would you know where to buy the "bracelet tape" KJ mentions above?

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I’ve got those, kind of wish I got one a size smaller if they exist. Or maybe I’m not holding close enough to the ends, or maybe I have gorilla fists and have no business working on watches LOL.

with just a tiny bit of rodico to hold the seconds hand, the leverage arm is short so less wobble, with these long tweezers, any little shake or movement makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
For general inspection work microscope is great. I use it all the time. For actual work i use head visior

Timmer

Known Member
Patron
Certified
17/1/22
I would try to repair it, if it's just the shaft being bent a little. I've also managed to reseat the shaft onto its gear a time or two. But for most tinkerers. if that part is shot there's not much hope of fixing it. If you can get a replacement part that's always nice. Maybe buy a dead movement and scavenge the part from it.
It was initially bent, but after "monkeying" with it, I can't even see the pinion - so my guess is that it receded into the movement. Next step will be trying to source a replacement pinion.

Thank you all.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
I’ve got those, kind of wish I got one a size smaller if they exist. Or maybe I’m not holding close enough to the ends, or maybe I have gorilla fists and have no business working on watches LOL.

I have been using those for few years with no issues.

You can shape the ends.

Last edited:

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I hadn't thought to shape the ends smaller. good tip, I'll try that.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
It was initially bent, but after "monkeying" with it, I can't even see the pinion - so my guess is that it receded into the movement. Next step will be trying to source a replacement pinion.

Thank you all.

You can try that - but i never bought from him so do your own research

Reactions: KJ2020

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
You will find that even a fairly inexpensive hand setting tool like the one linked below will make things far simpler for you. Put your movement in a holder, and center the second hand pinion under the tool's tip. Then put a piece of yellow bracelet tape under the tail of the second hand and use that to place the second hand onto its pinion. Lower the pressing tip onto the hand's center plate and test whether or not the hand collar feels like it is centered over the pinion. If so, press it home. You can remove the tape while gently holding the unpressed hand down or after it has been pressed.

I can't overstate how much easier and more accurate hand setting becomes with the use of one of these tools.

I'm not endorsing this specific product, just shown as an example. You can spend a lot more and generally you will get what you pay for.

US $7.02 36%OFF | 1/3/5 Heads Watch Hand Presser Setting Fitting Remover Puller Plunger Set Aluminum Alloy Watch Parts Repair Tool for Watchmaker
T

Thanks Sir. I have indeed tried that in the past and found these presses to be a good tool. My biggest problem right now is actually positioning the hand to be pressed. I simply lack the dexterity and motor control for tweezing left handed. I either drop the hand or shake too much.

I thought I might try a pin vise to clamp the hand and position it that way but worried about damaging the hand.

Either way I am exceptionally grateful for all the advice.

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Many thanks to everyone who has responded here. I can’t express how much I appreciate all the advice. @KJ2020 , @Oascom ,@APjumbo you folks are all rockstars.