• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help me know: REP or GEN

kameelperd

30/4/19
Hi guys, they are selling me this AP ROO.

Do you care take a look and telling me if its gen or not.

Appreciate it.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Gen. kthxbai

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Its a gen F or G series and it looks to be in good condition. Congrats if you’re picking it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Its a gen F or G series and it looks to be in good condition. Congrats if you’re picking it up.

How can you tell this is not a franken without a movment pic? Or even a side pic to see the thickness?
It could be a gen dial, hands, bazel and strap on a rep case and movment?

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
How can you tell this is not a franken without a movment pic? Or even a side pic to see the thickness?

DW is a good hint, can’t be mounted on a rep or LWO movement. I like to look for pushers and bezel too as they give away much IMO.

Plus this very reference has been frankened only once (to my knowledge).

Last edited:
Reactions: csthe

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18

this is possible, date wheel is a big giveaway. Besides that you'd have to open it up to be 100% sure. Always check serial numbers to be safe

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
From these photos I would say that the only 100% gen parts are the dial and the hands.

If you provided photos of the caseback with the little doggie and the clasp with the golden standard stamp it will be a bit easier to judge.

Ideally put this on a scale and see what the weight is.

And then again, best thing is to have it inspected by AP.

edit: gold’s weigh is approx. 2.5 times that of steel. So if a steel watch weighs 180gr, the golden one should be closer to 300gr - given that they both use same mechanics. But maybe legend could chime in

Last edited:

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
From these photos I would say that the only 100% gen parts are the dial and the hands.

If you provided photos of the caseback with the little doggie and the clasp with the golden standard stamp it will be a bit easier to judge.

edit: gold’s weigh is approx. 2.5 times that of steel. So if a steel watch weighs 180gr, the golden one should be closer to 300gr - given that they both use same mechanics. But maybe legend could chime in

My franken RGRC has the correct series and 18k doggie stamps per recent JF production.

Need to check series, see the movement and weigh and then you are done... at that point the only bad news from AP would be that it is stolen.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
My franken RGRC has the correct series and 18k doggie stamps per recent JF production.

Need to check series, see the movement and weigh and then you are done... at that point the only bad news from AP would be that it is stolen.

The JF doggie stamp is quite shallow from what I remember, it’s more of a laser engraving than a stamp. But they might have changed that. Care to show us a photo of your caseback? Txs

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

Dial, tachy, hands, crystal and movement are 100000% genuine. Case looks very genuine as well judging by geometry and overall features that 99% of all frankens lack. Bezel appears to be service ceramic / cermet bezel doesn’t happen rarely. I’ve seen many now converted ceramiclads.

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
interesting observation from gen date wheel for sale on ebay. 2nd digit on 12 and 19 non serif.
edge/legend and mikey all done good job to assist the franken builds

s-l1600.jpg

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Dial, tachy, hands, crystal and movement are 100000% genuine. Case looks very genuine as well judging by geometry and overall features that 99% of all frankens lack. Bezel appears to be service ceramic / cermet bezel doesn’t happen rarely. I’ve seen many now converted ceramiclads.

I would add the bezel screws too :) but bro, that’s not the point, if you are asking for help then at least provide better photos (or ask the seller for those). I am not seeing a photo of the movement and the font on the dw is not clear enough to go by. Plus case geometry could be played with. Anyway, back to the movement - I’ll give you an example here - which one is the gen dw on the photo below ?)
D283886-C-1-A79-4-F53-9834-A760-E112-CF16.jpg

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

For pics on “gen or rep”, there needs to be a line drawn to base the assumption on since we are unable to assess the watch physically in hand. In this case I’ve seen enough to fairly draw the conclusion that this watch is gen. If the question is being asked on a forum with pics and not actual watch provided, then any answer given must be in respect of solely observing the pictures.
It is not realistic to expect a tear down of the part into parts and then scrutinizing each part to ascertain its authenticity.
It is the OP’s responsibility to make his own discernment based on our replies and to understand the limitations of said replies.

I stand by my reply that this watch is genuine. It’s a combination of observation, probability and instinct.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
For pics on “gen or rep”, there needs to be a line drawn to base the assumption on since we are unable to assess the watch physically in hand. In this case I’ve seen enough to fairly draw the conclusion that this watch is gen. If the question is being asked on a forum with pics and not actual watch provided, then any answer given must be in respect of solely observing the pictures.
It is not realistic to expect a tear down of the part into parts and then scrutinizing each part to ascertain its authenticity.
It is the OP’s responsibility to make his own discernment based on our replies and to understand the limitations of said replies.

I stand by my reply that this watch is genuine. It’s a combination of observation, probability and instinct.

I agree with the general assumptions.
However I'm asking here 2 questions: how common is to see a franken that good? And why not ask for side and back photos?

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I agree with the general assumptions.
However I'm asking here 2 questions: how common is to see a franken that good? And why not ask for side and back photos?

None of the frankens I’ve seen here have the same case geometry. That, plus the gen dw which fits only in the gen movement, dispenses the need to see the watch from the side and back.
Like I implied, it can never be 100% from pics but 99.9% is good enough for me to draw a conclusion

Reactions: Allure and csthe

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
Another thing I’d like to point out is that the crown might be a newer version (25940OK.OO.D002CA.02 geometry), hard to tell from those pics. If this is true paired with QueTips assumption about the bezel you have a watch in good but altered condition if that’s what the OP is looking for.

Last edited: