• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Have you ever asked a local watch smith to service your rep?

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
If anyone just tried to deprived me of what I can prove is my property that's theft I'd just call the police.

LOL, your post is 100% correct regarding UK (y)

However if some snotty little man in an AD shop tried to withold anything I owned I'd just drag him over the counter by his neck and leave with my property ......
Then again I wouldn't be silly enough to take a Rep to an AD in the first place :ROFLMAO:

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
There's a jeweller near me, long established, and his son is now using his store to sell watches.

I've spotted three absolutely clear as day fakes in his window so far. Daytona, PP5712 & VC 5520, and I understand he's been pulled up about them but claimed they're just for display...yet appear for sale on his insta
There's a local Cash Monkey (they're a UK pawn broker franchise and a bad one at that, horrific retention fees, they prey on the desperate, it's next door to a fruit machine arcade which is about right really), they've got three or four very suspect "no papers" Rolex in the window, three of them for sure in fake boxes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dave2302

Andy83n

Patron
1/3/20
Jersey
There's a jeweller near me, long established, and his son is now using his store to sell watches.

I've spotted three absolutely clear as day fakes in his window so far. Daytona, PP5712 & VC 5520, and I understand he's been pulled up about them but claimed they're just for display...yet appear for sale on his insta
I discovered earlier today that said 'dealer' had recently been stung paying £10k for a fake Submariner (which he then sold and the buyer took to the local AD to get appraised ...) and also closer to £15k on a bad Pepsi GMT with a similar outcome after having tried to pass it on to another guy i know who does deal in very good gens and has access to trade price lists from Hatton Garden.

£25k out of pocket and still with snides in the window and really poorly described watches on his website.

• Haha

Andy83n

Patron
1/3/20
Jersey
...back on track - i'm taking my old 8f VC 4500 into the local watchmakers to get it serviced today. Will let you know costs and time frame as likely to list it on the Members' Sales thread

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Some jewellers shop owner that one :ROFLMAO:
Although I suppose he may have had to say he paid £10k for the rep Rollie to make a plausible story that he thought it was gen.

He's not gonna get away wi' it on the second one though ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: rolex4me

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
Just as a hypothetical exercise, I wonder if anyone has ever worn a little seen gen into an AD and been accused of it being fake simply because it's so rare.

Or am I being obtuse? :cool:

• Haha

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
I used to wear Rolex Sub Reps (very good reps for back then), into an AD in Bluewater, Kent and ask to look at a different model eg Daytona, GMT etc, never once got questioned.

Wouldn't try it these days though ;)

Also got called out on a Gen 2 tone Bluesey once in a club :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

tomriddle

25/6/07
Just as a hypothetical exercise, I wonder if anyone has ever worn a little seen gen into an AD and been accused of it being fake simply because it's so rare.

depends how rare and little known it may be

like worth millions..

here's a recent example.. the Tiffany collection

prepare to be judged most definitely.. and if the OWNER of the shop is there? definitely may be called out on a sales pitch.. "hey that's a $5mil watch. Want to buy one for a measly 30k?"

Yellowsubmarine

Supporter
Certified
17/5/23
UK

!
I know exactly who you’re on about.
The kid in there is such a tit. I went in and asked about a 5 digit seadweller they’d had in the window and he just looked panicked and was very evasive to any of the questions I asked. Seemed very dodgy so I just walked away..

He does just seem like an ultimate blagger, using daddy’s money up at the auctions trying to find good deals to then sell in town whilst pretending to ‘know about watches’.

It’s unsurprising that tiktok has now also brainwashed him into buying fakes and having the audacity to display them in what was once a respected jewellers. But it’s expected these days with these wannabe kids..

@AlpineM

Last edited:

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
He does just seem like an ultimate blagger, using daddy’s money up at the auctions trying to find good deals to then sell in town whilst pretending to ‘know about watches’.

It’s unsurprising that tiktok has now also brainwashed him into buying fakes and having the audacity to display them in what was once a respected jewellers. But it’s expected these days with these wannabe kids..

Sadly there is one in every town :mad:

I don't get it, I sold literally thousands in the mid 2000's, and I didn't want the sort of buyer who was expecting to buy a Gen for £300, for a (back then), lets say £4k Submariner.

Some of those watches are still going strong ;)
I was up front with everyone, they were reps, they were not "bazzar canal street shit" they were the best you could get back then.

The type of guys i sold to were Accountants, Solicitors, Car Dealers, Club and Pub owners, Business owners, even friends at the Waterski Club.
All folks I had either done other business with before or friends I knew well, some who frequented our local country pubs etc.

Never the scuffy town / city bar room ex spurts, except on one single ocassion when we were in a Folkestone night club on my birthday, and some pissed up pikey kept pestering me about the 7750 Breitling Navitimer I was wearing, he obviously thought it was a Gen ..........

He was a real big geezer, a "drunken and bolshy" pain in the arse who kept on and on :ROFLMAO:

So after a few "Kesh now M8" offers of a few hundred then he hits me up for a Grand "Kesh now M8 !!" as he bunged a wad of nifty's on the bar .............

So I slapped his hand very firmly, took his money and gave him the £120 watch.

He goes back across the floor to his bretheren, showing off his purchase, at which point I said to Mel, "Sup up Minxie" as I swallowed me beer, and then we fucked off quick smart to another establishment nearer home, never to go back to Folkestone again as it turns out :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Andy83n

Patron
1/3/20
Jersey
!
I know exactly who you’re on about.
The kid in there is such a tit. I went in and asked about a 5 digit seadweller they’d had in the window and he just looked panicked and was very evasive to any of the questions I asked. Seemed very dodgy so I just walked away..

Crazy.

Especially when there's Seb Manti doing a great trade in all sorts of gens not far away

AlpineM

Horology Curious
19/6/23
UK
I had a very strange experience with the Jersey guy, he really didn’t like to talk details…

What I found most amusing is that he was trying to pull off the yacht club loafer, chinos and open shirt look, but looked more like his dingy got wrecked on the way to buy shirt buttons!

I’ll make a point of popping in again soon 🤣

AlpineM

Horology Curious
19/6/23
UK
He obviously didn't have proper big boyz toyz then, or he wouldn't have needed to pull anything off :ROFLMAO:

He’ll be taking a one way trip on Daddies dingy if he rips off the wrong person over here 🤗

Fantastic car btw. The Scud is my grail, shame VSF don’t rep them 🤣

• Haha

Andy83n

Patron
1/3/20
Jersey
He’ll be taking a one way trip on Daddies dingy if he rips off the wrong person over here 🤗

Fantastic car btw. The Scud is my grail, shame VSF don’t rep them 🤣
Everseen the Ferrari P3/4 'homage' over here?

Oddly, I bought a new Wrangler a few years ago from Meriden Portsmouth and they delivered it along with a scuderia when I went to collect and take to DVS for registration

Last edited:
  • Love

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Nice !! I've driven one but never owned, I did build a GT40 rep eons ago, the hunched MkIII, had a hooligan Big Block in it that ate Hewland Trans for breakfast :ROFLMAO:

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK

I don't think many AD's care.
Or even know, I go into the local TAG AD and chat to a couple of the sales guys, they're not even massive watch enthusiasts. One of them wears a Connected!
I'm not stupid with it, I don't flash it under their nose and I've only been in with my Starbucks and my Seamaster, I wouldn't go in with the Daytona one week, the GMT the next, then the no date etc.

They said they'd heard of people in blatant terrible reps being asked to leave the Rolex AD but said themselves whatever the potential customer was wearing, be it a fake Patek, a gen Casio or £35 AliExpress homage, they'd just offer them a coffee and try to sell them a watch, cause that's their job!

And that's right, who here has reps and gens? Most people. Just cause you wear a rep doesn't mean you're not going to buy a gen.

They're just doing their job, chatting to me passes their time, we've talked about MSRP Vs eBay and secondary market prices, quartz TAG F1 chronograph £1950 in the shop, £1700 new on eBay, £1000 boxed, papers, second hand.
I understand they've got costs to pay but it's hard to justify shopping there.