• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Have you ever asked a local watch smith to service your rep?

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Oh, BTW, I have it on good authority that if UK H MR C seize a watch addressed to Mr x that address is recorded and when they have the time they will check future parcels.

Way back when I was selling, our parcels would be sent to PO Boxes ;)

One of the reasons many many get through as they do is sheer volume of parcels vs resources available (y)

Andy83n

Patron
1/3/20
Jersey
Yes.
With a CF Datejust 41 that has an issue where the date doesn't auto advance, he looked at it, saw the problem, cleaned the dial of a tiny hair and said 'get a new movement and I'll fit it' he didn't charge for the other bits.
Oh yeah. I also had a national chain of watch repairers quote me for a repair on Vacheron 4500V which has a sticky movement. I was honest in the description and they said 'probably a miyota mvmt, shouldn't be a problem' and quoted me cost plus time

Reactions: Dave2302

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Oh yeah. I also had a national chain of watch repairers quote me for a repair on Vacheron 4500V which has a sticky movement. I was honest in the description and they said 'probably a miyota mvmt, shouldn't be a problem' and quoted me cost plus time

!00% agree with you (y)

The Miyota is a reliable and accurate movement, cheaper to simply replace it over a full strip, service and rebuild too.

I have and like Submariners, YM, etc (so non Chronographs) with that movement, the looks and feel of the watches are perfect and the movements remain invisible anyway until the back cover is off.

The accurate rep Chrono watches are harder to find with clone movements since they often don't have as Gen Subdial functions, I have one or 2 like that, which are fine aesthetically, and I rarely use the Chronos anyway, bought purely because I like that particular watch and no factories were producing anything more accurate, Omega Apollo XI being a prime example.

There are also Chrono reps available where the Sub Dial functions are perfectly correct, like Daytonas, Breitling, Tag Heuer F1's etc, of which I have several, since I do love a Chrono, also love the limited editions.

I'll get slated for this, but personally, I've never had any issues with an A7750 either, even with the extra bridge parts for sec @ 6 on Daytonas.
I do follow the golden rules including having "mechanical sympathy", and I don't use the Chrono's much, but I'm not afraid to.

When I'm timing Motorsport and other things I just use a proper stopwatch anyways, although the TAG Heuer F1's with 1/10 th sec functionality are very useful if I "end up" at a motorsport event unintentionally, (well that's what I tell Mel anyways) :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

aaronglass

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
19/9/18
Found a guy where I'm located who was able to fix a broken spring, turned him on to reps too, lol. But he went the dhgate route.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
But he went the dhgate route.

A watchmaker may well be good at that (DHG) ;)

DHG is used by many on here, (not that some would admit it), there is nothing wrong with it as long as you use decent sellers and know exactly what you are buying .............

At least you can get your money back if it goes sour.

I fully admit I'll use it now and again, normally because I wan't a particular model that is not available through TD's, I always ask TD's here first (y)
Sure if you are a AAA 1:1 kinda guy it can be disappointing, but some I buy I will never wear, visually with naked eye they are good, and I just want the 2 I bought recently for my Display Cabinet, they will get a little wrist time, but not the same as my regular purchases.

Last edited:

rolex4me

often nice, sometimes evil😜
Supporter
10/4/16
I took one of my real watches to a watchmaker (who was unknown to me up to that point) to have a small repair done. During the conversation with the watchmaker's wife (since he was very busy at that moment), his wife told me that she was man wouldn't work on replicas because he's had bad experiences with them in the past.
When I was able to pick up my watch a few days later, the watchmaker came from his workshop to hand me my watch and we then talked about replicas. I showed him my hulk that I was carrying on my arm and he wanted to take a closer look at the watch.
After looking at the watch, he was very surprised at how good the replicas turned out and he wanted to find out more about it.
It is now the case that I can come to him with all my rep watches and he will deal with it.
but do you know what's best?
The watchmaker is only 32 years old and will (hopefully) be able to work on my watches for a long time.

Jimbothegreat

Known Member
Patron
Certified
30/12/23
I found someone in South FL who can do servicing on rep watches, I haven’t bought their service yet though apart from resizing watches.

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Only one, back street watchsmith, found him on eBay, he was happy to help, chucked my VSF 126610ln* on his timegrapher, pulled the back off, said "fuck me, that's nearly a Rolex mech, I wouldn't like to touch it as parts are either Rolex or unobtainable", replaced the back and gave it back to me.
He didn't even want any money, I gave him £50 for his time.

*had an odd issue, minute and hour hands stopped, seconds hand didn't, then 20 mins later jumped back to life, I say had cause since then I've raided it for links and popped the bezel off (cracking it :rolleyes:) and lost the bezel clicker springs)

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Thanks, it's good to know. (y)

Makes sense but in our case, I didn't feel like driving all over town in traffic only to be rejected. Also, not sure what would happen if you tell them it's a no name Chinese watch, and then show-up with something that's brand labeled. That might get interesting if they think you were lying to them. Then again, as long as you keep position of it, all they can really do is tell you to get out.
I was chatting in the local TAG Heuer AD about this the other day.
Neither of the salesmen there were full on watch enthusiasts like we are, they wouldn't recognise a regulator in a fake Rolex mech for instance or a watch beating at 21600 bph not 28800.
And they had heard talk of obvious fake wearers being asked to leave the nearby Rolex AD.
But they laughed at the idea they would even challenge a potential customer over his watch, even if it was a fake TAG.
What law do you think they're going to use to deprived you of your personal property? Do you think Ford can drive to the local drag strip and take possession of a space frame with Chevy V8 and a Mustang fibreglass body over it?

Flip it another way, I buy a Pagani Design Daytona lookalike and shoehorn a gen Rolex dial, crown and clasp onto it.
What law have I broken?

No one (except customs and that's border control, withholding suspicious goods and potential tax evasion) can take it off me, that would be theft.

Last edited:

tomriddle

25/6/07
Only one, back street watchsmith, found him on eBay, he was happy to help, chucked my VSF 126610ln* on his timegrapher, pulled the back off, said "fuck me, that's nearly a Rolex mech, I wouldn't like to touch it as parts are either Rolex or unobtainable", replaced the back and gave it back to me.
He didn't even want any money, I gave him £50 for his time.

*had an odd issue, minute and hour hands stopped, seconds hand didn't, then 20 mins later jumped back to life, I say had cause since then I've raided it for links and popped the bezel off (cracking it :rolleyes:) and lost the bezel clicker springs)

you sure he wasn't politely refusing it after opening the case back..? :) sounds like he saw it was a rep and didn't want anything to do with it.. unless he knew beforehand already you told him it was a rep and such

but yeah, i've seen/heard of similar experiences and of course, my own personal experience of being turned away from servicing a rep haha

no longer an issue for me now but my very first ever attempt of getting a rep service.. was professionally and politely turned away haha

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
I told him it was a rep on the phone, he was happy to look and was hoping it was a rep with an Asian rep of a mech he knew inside. An ETA clone or similar.
I'd said it was Chinese 3235 rep, he said he doubted it. He changed his mind, he also said the watch itself until he pulled the back would have fooled him.
Bearing in mind he didn't want my money, I struggle to see why he'd lie.

Last edited:

tomriddle

25/6/07
I was chatting in the local TAG Heuer AD about this the other day.
Neither of the salesmen there were full on watch enthusiasts like we are, they wouldn't recognise a regulator in a fake Rolex mech for instance or a watch beating at 21600 bph not 28800.
And they had heard talk of obvious fake wearers being asked to leave the nearby Rolex AD.
But they laughed at the idea they would even challenge a potential customer over his watch, even if it was a fake TAG.
What law do you think they're going to use to deprived you of your personal property? Do you think Ford can drive to the local drag strip and take possession of a space frame with Chevy V8 and a Mustang fibreglass body over it?

Flip it another way, I buy a Pagani Design Daytona lookalike and shoehorn a gen Rolex dial, crown and clasp onto it.
What law have I broken?

No one (except customs and that's border control, withholding suspicious goods and potential tax evasion) can take it off me, that would be theft.

I've heard of one.. back in the day.. here in nyc.. a tourist of all people went to an actual Rolex Service Center to get his "Rolex" serviced.. it was a fake. They confiscated it.. (I used to work at 5th ave, a block away from the diamond district so would hear/see stories).

Also got offered $8,000 once walking down diamond district with my Rolesium YM :) probably the owner of the shop goes, "I'll give you 8,000 for that watch. I yelled back no thank you.. lol

possession of counterfeit goods is technically illegal.. and Rolex being the actual IP holder confiscated the item. Only one I heard of but the balls/stupidity of the guy to take his fake to an actual rolex store.. well.. (n)

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
I've heard of one.. back in the day.. here in nyc.. a tourist of all people went to an actual Rolex Service Center to get his "Rolex" serviced.. it was a fake. They confiscated it.. (I used to work at 5th ave, a block away from the diamond district so would hear/see stories).

Also got offered $8,000 once walking down diamond district with my Rolesium YM :) probably the owner of the shop goes, "I'll give you 8,000 for that watch. I yelled back no thank you.. lol

possession of counterfeit goods is technically illegal.. and Rolex being the actual IP holder confiscated the item. Only one I heard of but the balls/stupidity of the guy to take his fake to an actual rolex store.. well.. (n)
I actually know someone stupid enough to bring her Rolex rep to the Rolex Center in Hong Kong, things turn south quickly, eventually escalate to a Karenesque street brawl and end up in a police station.

tomriddle

25/6/07
I actually know someone stupid enough to bring her Rolex rep to the Rolex Center in Hong Kong, things turn south quickly, eventually escalate to a Karenesque street brawl and end up in a police station.

yeah honestly the stupidity of some people!! i mean i understand bringing it to say a panerai AD or wherever.. but to bring the actual fake to the actual official store is just insanity

and yes they have all rights to confiscate said property since it's technically theirs

Reactions: MaximillianGT

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
Is someone is dumb enough to wear a rep into an AD and then actually hand to them to look over then he deserves to have it confiscated. But, if you're still dumb enough to wear one in and they demand if off your wrist I 'd expect they get a little pushback on that. But stupid is as stupid does.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
Is someone is dumb enough to wear a rep into an AD and then actually hand to them to look over then he deserves to have it confiscated. But, if you're still dumb enough to wear one in and they demand if off your wrist I 'd expect they get a little pushback on that. But stupid is as stupid does.
You usually can get away easily in any AD shop since they are independent businessmen, they won't make a scene out of it, but not in Rolex Service Center.

Last edited:

Lagunax

I'm Pretty Popular
18/4/15
CONUS
Mom and pop independents usually don’t have a problem. Just tell them straight up it’s a rep and they’ll say yes or no. You can also ask it they will service a 2813 2836 Miyota etc. Once they hear the familiar movement they might be more comfortable.

Andy83n

Patron
1/3/20
Jersey
There's a jeweller near me, long established, and his son is now using his store to sell watches.

I've spotted three absolutely clear as day fakes in his window so far. Daytona, PP5712 & VC 5520, and I understand he's been pulled up about them but claimed they're just for display...yet appear for sale on his insta

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
yeah honestly the stupidity of some people!! i mean i understand bringing it to say a panerai AD or wherever.. but to bring the actual fake to the actual official store is just insanity

and yes they have all rights to confiscate said property since it's technically theirs
Buying and possessing fake goods in the UK is not illegal.
If anyone just tried to deprived me of what I can prove is my property that's theft I'd just call the police.

The AD if they attempt to retain it is going to end up in court, after they've had police cars outside with blue lights on and the guy who's retained my watch will be arrested.
They're just not going to do it!
They'll hand it back, say "sorry sir, we believe this is a replica and we'd politely ask that you leave our premises and don't wear it here again" (the open door gives an implied right of access to the premises so I can just walk in).

Besides if it's Clean/VSF/BTF etc they ain't busting it without pulling the back off. They might suspect, but suspicion is a lot different to being 100% sure.