• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

H-factory AP Ceramic Diver

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
A few notes about modding HFAC ceramic Diver:
1.) A Swiss 2824 does fit in HFAC cer Diver. But you will not be able to use the HFAC rep Datewheel (it aligns and fits, but it is too thick and rubs against bottom of dial) or a Swiss rotor (hits movement ring, you need to use the HFAC rotor).
2.) If you want to go closed case back, none of the SS Diver or FC Diver closed case backs will fit on the watch unless you change the case back screws (they need to be longer).
3.) The HFAC cyclops has no AR and is highly reflective. I replaced mine with Profs 2XAR Diver cyclops (fits fine).
4.) The bezel crown for HFAC cer Diver is particularly problematic and prone to malfunction.
5.) The Asian movement that HFAC uses has poor keyless mechanism parts: result, it will chew up your winding stem over time.
6.) Prof 2XAR Diver crystal is a little too thick and will be a little high over cer bezel.
Other than that, it is a nice base to work on.
/QUOTE]

Hey [MENTION=58374]slaughterer62[/MENTION] & [MENTION=53629]hub6152[/MENTION], these are some interesting observations and remarks that you're making on the HF ceramic diver. I briefly had that last year and regret that I let it go (I'd be happy to have it handy at the minute to take some measurements, but well). As both of you may remember, I'm struggling with a franken diver project and still have my mind in a trap: do I do a SS diver or a Cer one - the open case of the ceramic would do better justice to the cost of the gen 3120... I didn't even consider that the HF diver might have a thicker movement (although 2836 should indeed be thicker as to accommodate the original day wheel). So here's the thing: having a gen dial, a gen rehaut and a gen 3120, would I encounter issues with the ceramic case and bezel - not being SS, that would not allow Domi to modd easily, so if you have any ready ideas and suggestions, please share these with me!

Many thanks in advance, and thanks a lot for the input, irrespectively of personal projects, these details are very helpful to have handy.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Hi tosoboso,
I think it all comes down to how you are going to accommodate that gen rehaut/ring in a rep Diver case. As I recall, the gen was a bit wider than the rep rehaut. Steel is easier to mill/reshape than ceramic to accommodate it. Also, you have the rehaut for the SS Diver, and tt would be the wrong colour for a Ceramic Diver (white for orange). Why not just do an open case back SS Diver? There is a gen of it.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
What you guys think about that one? The new ceramic diver from V6. available soon at chazingtime

a4be2f25842794e91eea7da3267af32a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6

Except for the semi-gloss dial with rounded mega-tapisserie, it would make a nice build with a replacement movement and 2XAR cyclops.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Hi Hub. The gap between the dial and inner tach ring is not really very noticeable with the Swiss 2824 (see photo). If one wanted to eliminate it fully, one could just elevate the dial about .25 mm further up. I also had no problem swapping in the 2836 DW onto the 2824--except that the 2836 DW rubs against the dial. If you wanted to use a 2824 DW on a 2836 you would only need to remove the day wheel and day corrrector wheel. I prefer the Swiss 2824 over the Asian 2836. The Asian 2836 I inspected had some faults.

Oh that's very interesting. I did try it out just recently but thought twice about it. Interesting about using a 2824 DW in the 2836. Now that's going to position the DW lower down so I wonder how the date mag will be after that? In theory it should appear bigger? Will play around tomorrow and see how it looks. It might be the answer to the incorrect HF font! I've also got a spare V7 cyclops which I might use too.

Thanks for explaining it.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
But..... I think I did try to put the 2824 DW in the 2836 recently. It doesn't go as the alignment track the DW runs in won't allow the teeth to engage with the date changing wheel. Going to double check this.

But you're absolutely right that a 2836 DW will work in a 2824 as far as the date change mechanism goes.

Sent from hell

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
Oh finally my HF is being delivered tomorrow. I'll post photos when recieved and before I ship it out to prof for some custom thin AR. Possibly bezel brushing as my qc were a bit too grainy to be definitive.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Hi tosoboso,
I think it all comes down to how you are going to accommodate that gen rehaut/ring in a rep Diver case. As I recall, the gen was a bit wider than the rep rehaut. Steel is easier to mill/reshape than ceramic to accommodate it. Also, you have the rehaut for the SS Diver, and tt would be the wrong colour for a Ceramic Diver (white for orange). Why not just do an open case back SS Diver? There is a gen of it.

Hey [MENTION=58374]slaughterer62[/MENTION], I'm very curious myself. Not in a particular hurry though, still trying to gather a few more things. If I manage to get a gen SS bezel, I'd go with the SS version 100%; if not, I may try the ceramic - I'm not a big fan of the orange anyways, so I'll just use the gen black rehaut and white hands instead of the stock orange ones. If I was sure that a DLC SS case would hold well, I'd go for that, but the ceramic would work just fine for me too. SS divers are just magnets for scratches, so the ceramic durability would be a great plus if everything else fits well. A gen bezel however may tilt the balance, let's see. Will keep you updated.

kleinermoses

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/5/13
Oh finally my HF is being delivered tomorrow. I'll post photos when recieved and before I ship it out to prof for some custom thin AR. Possibly bezel brushing as my qc were a bit too grainy to be definitive.

Where are the photos? [emoji6]

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
Customs processed longer than anticipated, but it's out for delivery now.

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
06b351eea36b16f1eff3a0cd51c72f5c.jpg

0415bd0f07a7a8dbb25cc7ad31414ba3.jpg

c326da3436a978f7b8c6b7925cabd13d.jpg

Rep strap is the first thing that got tossed. I don't think I'll do AR either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Congratulations rjk.
With the Prof crystal and Prof cyclops and ETA 2824:
HFAC%2520modded_zps1hygqrq9.jpg

AlanW3010

Renowned Member
4/8/11
UK
So, mine arrived on Thursday.

Beautifull, nicely aligned and < +10 seconds so far. ("Smooth" version of bezel).

It adjusts perfectly (both date and time) and, with the crown in position 1 it winds. Not that it matters to me but in position 1, it also spins the rotor even while screwing down the crown.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
So, mine arrived on Thursday.

Beautifull, nicely aligned and < +10 seconds so far. ("Smooth" version of bezel).

It adjusts perfectly (both date and time) and, with the crown in position 1 it winds. Not that it matters to me but in position 1, it also spins the rotor even while screwing down the crown.

Does that on a gen Bremont I have with a chronometer grade Sellita 2824. Especially when the mainspring is at full wind. Nothing to worry about.

Sent from hell

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
I decided to get it and a bezel brush from Steve. Should have it back by next week so I'll post photos. I've been toying with the idea of building a modded FC but swap in the ceramic crowns because the rubber ones just cheapen the watch. There are some good modded ones already available too..

Easier on the eyes with Prof 2XR.

Stormtropper75

Horology Curious
29/5/16
Hi new here bit confused on the movement in these Ap ceramics ,as the pictures on the forums are different to the ones that are picture on the dealers site such as pure time and in time any info would be much appreciated
Thanks

BuddhistGirafe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/13
Just in the process of tracking one of these down now. What is the weight on ceramic. I am assuming light, but I really have no clue. How does it compare to say a titanium Pelagos (only asking because that is what is on my wrist haha) or a SS AP Diver?