• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Greetings, getting ready to pull trigger on my first Rep

turbojesse

Horology Curious
30/6/13
I've owned a GEN GMT Master circa 1980 which I bought for ~ $1200 new (with trade in) and sold 25 years later for $7000. In all that time I've had many people ask to look at my watch but no one ask if it was real or take a critical look at every nuance about it. So, if the watch looks real, feels real and tells decent time then I'm all in since I can no longer afford $10K watches. Soooo.....I'll probably be damned to the 7th level of hell but I'm looking to get the the Rolex - GMT-Master II 116710 LN A3186 Best Edition with the Swiss ETA 2836-2 25j automatic movement at 28800 bhp from Puretime. I'm a little conflicted (after reading a lot of the great info on this website) about the "Swiss" movement vs the Asian 2836 25j clone.

My question for the experienced guys is: is the "swiss" clone worth the extra $120 in terms of longevity and ability to keep time?

I'll have another question about servicing when I actually get the watch. Appreciate your thoughts.

- Turbo

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
You said you've read a lot. And still asking this question?
It was answered 14,826 times.

turbojesse

Horology Curious
30/6/13
yes I am. I don't claim to know it all or to have read it all with a critical mind. If you have some insight I'd appreciate it. My inclination is to go for it.

DVNE

7/11/12
Save your money and go with the Asian clone 2836-2.

Welcome to RWI BTW!

threeputtbogey

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/6/13
I have a 2836-2 Swiss that runs like a champ. Haven't had a it or an asian clone long enough to say which one will last longer however.

Jeremy

Renowned Member
16/6/13
Get the a2836 and save your money for your next one, which will inevitably be ordered while you're waiting for the first one to arrive.

turbojesse

Horology Curious
30/6/13
I knew I was going to fu*k up my first post. You guys are as bad as Marines are to boots! I know, I've been on both sides of that particular fence.

Ok then, I'll do the Asian 2836 and report back on my experience. After that I'm looking at A. Lange & Sohne Rep for a nice dress watch.

threeputtbogey

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/6/13
I knew I was going to fu*k up my first post. You guys are as bad as Marines are to boots! I know, I've been on both sides of that particular fence.

Ok then, I'll do the Asian 2836 and report back on my experience. After that I'm looking at A. Lange & Sohne Rep for a nice dress watch.

Nice. Good luck!

dznrguy

Known Member
3/4/12
Get the asian. Sometimes the swiss are re-makes of older movements, or worse yet, not actually swiss.

turbojesse

Horology Curious
30/6/13
Pulled the trigger

After re-researching the forum articles on ROlex's and the different movements and on the advice of members to go with the "Asian" 2836 movement, I ordered the
"GMT-Master II 116710 LN REAL CERAMIC BEZEL (Asian 2836 clone automatic movement)"
from Puretime.

After failing with Visa I used Western Union and the payment went through fine with a 10% discount on the price. I used EMS and so far it has cleared Chinese customs and is still in GUANGZHOU with dispatch from sorting center.

My only confusion relates to the version I ordered vs the so called "Best Edition" supposedly made from a Gen sample. Aren't they all?

This is confusing since it uses the same movement and I doubt any but an expert can tell the difference. Am I right? In all the years I owned a Gen GMT Master, no one ever asked me if it was real or asked to examine it.

Here are the QC photos:

Ruski91

12/10/12
only big time difference that will stand out (from less than 4 ft away only) is the ceramic bezel insert. One of our members here piliworx just made a franken by getting a gen insert and it truly is a night and day difference.

But its a beautiful watch and your qc looks great, Enjoy it!

aligborat69

I'm Pretty Popular
11/6/12
UK
Post a pic of your original you sold! Also your findings on this GMT because I'm going to get the same one for my collection :)