• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Grand Carrera Calibre 36 - A7750 or Japan Quartz

ck6459

11/9/10
Yes it is, I just got mine today. The watch looks really nice although it's kinda big for my hand. I will suggest you go for the A7750 although quartz version looks good as well.

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
I have the quartz version from Rob at T4D. It was my first rep, PVD wih a PVD bracelet, and I couldn't be happier. Awesome watch, awesome price, awesome transaction.

Can't go wrong - the TAG 36 has a sense of gravitas. Every time I wear it, it gets compliments.

Works great, chronos function, keeps great time.

GL.

Will

miketorbaz

Known Member
4/2/09
All the functions in the A7750 are exactly like the ones in the original?????
Really????

I thought that the dial at 9 was fixed.

Clock79jb

Known Member
6/7/09
Can anyone tell me if the rubber strap and deployment clasp that come with 7750 good quality or are they very cheap feeling?

kan3

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/4/11
Hi,

I am going to buy this one,

a1scuu.jpg

Can anyone please tell if this version of watch (with this strap) is ok?

Thank you.

bobbyt

Horology Curious
28/3/11
I've got both versions of this watch. The 7750 I got about 5 months ago in stainless steel. It has performed flawlessly. It is a few millimetres thicker than the gen, but that hasn't worried me. The watch in general has that precision look about it that says "expensive". BTW, the seconds are at 9, in the vertical slot.
All the functions operate just like the gen.

I have received 2 quartz versions only a couple of weeks ago. One is the stainless steel the other is the black PVD with rubber strap. These quartz versions use the Miyota OS20 movement. So far they hold good time, but they don't have quite the caché of the 7750. The AR is not as good if it exists at all, the functions don't operate like the gen, e.g. forget sub second timing, as the seconds pulse a second at a time, making the caliper slider useless, also the vertical slot counts minutes not seconds and the wheel at 6 counts seconds not hours. The clasp on the rubber band is bulky and looks cheap, but the SS band is quite good and similar to the 7750 one.

The quartz models are thinner, but that doesn't make up for the other shortcomings. The 7750 also has the glass back which is nice, the others a solid back. Overall you get what you pay for, the 7750 is about $350, the quartz (in my case) $150. If you wanted the look (while on the wrist) without going the bigger $$$, I'd go for the quartz stainless steel. It doesn't have the absolute look of the 7750, but it is less than half the money.

Calibre367750-1.jpg

Calibre36quartz.jpg

Calibre36PVDquartz.jpg

Just make sure you get photos first, as the quartz models start at around $60 with some dealers and at that level they are much worse than the $150 versions.

can you recommend the dealer you purchased the quartz models from?

thanks

fushi79

Horology Curious
24/5/11
Smoov the link you provided with the quartz has a 7750 case. Does that mean it has a glass backing to see the movements? Thanks.

ugoderosa

Renowned Member
12/9/10
Smoov the link you provided with the quartz has a 7750 case. Does that mean it has a glass backing to see the movements? Thanks.

No, the 7750 case Grand Carrera's with a quartz movement have a closed caseback (and that is a good thing).

fushi79

Horology Curious
24/5/11
ugo Im new to this site and watches. Please humor me and tell me why is a glass caseback bad? Is it because the movement isn't authentic so why view it at all? I just figured it was closest to the real deal. Thanks!

ugoderosa

Renowned Member
12/9/10
ugo Im new to this site and watches. Please humor me and tell me why is a glass caseback bad? Is it because the movement isn't authentic so why view it at all? I just figured it was closest to the real deal. Thanks!

No worries. A glass caseback is not a bad thing per se, but you never see them used with quartz movements. A quartz movement is not the best looking device around, and as a result, you just don't see any gen or rep makers using a display back with a quartz movment. Nobody really wants to see the battery, etc.

The gens and reps with mechanical movements show off the beauty/intricate detail of the movement via the glass back. Quartz movements are better off unseen.

fushi79

Horology Curious
24/5/11
Thanks again your knowledge is much appreciated. So if I get the more expensive version (is that the 7750 movement) then I should get a glass case? I actually liked the look of the glass case and the ability to see the movements. And is the 7750 movement a kinetic? Sorry with the dumb questions. Is there a 101 or a for dummies which I can read? Thanks again!

HPoirot

31/3/11
The 7750 version of this watch that most dealers have comes with a glass case.

It's usually not up to us to decide what kind of case back we want though.

The most important thing is that the rep is as close to the gen as possible.

Therefore, if the gen has a solid caseback, the rep will not have a clear (glass) caseback.

And yes, 7750 is kinetic, or automatic, as we like to call it.

Don't worry about asking questions, that's what we're here for.

For more general questions, try the Flame-Free Zone.

Most people will be there to answer your questions.

twix

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/12/10
Does the movement suffer from the chrono needing to be stopped before reset problem?

Ablakebaldwin

Horology Curious
11/6/11
Just got mine from Lay 2 weeks ago and the strap buckle has already broken on me. Any suggestions?