• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT II - DD3285 & SH3285

duderino

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/6/24
Hey everyone!

Long-time (genuine) watch collector here. I wanted to share my experience with my first replicas: the GMT II with movements SH3285 and DD3285.

Hont had a promotion for the GMT II with the SH3285 movement, so I decided to give it a try. After seeing the quality of modern replicas, my reaction was basically, "What the fook?!" I placed the VSF Batgirl next to a genuine Pepsi and I knew this wouldn't be my last replica.

I then contacted Steve and ordered a Clean lefty/sprite.

I'm not a movement expert, but from what I understand, the DD movement is a true clone with only minor differences from the genuine movement. The SH, on the other hand, is a modified movement with an added GMT module.

When comparing the Clean and VSF GMTs, I have to say they both look excellent. When I put them, along with the genuine watch, side by side, the main difference I noticed was that the Clean GMT has a slightly thicker date font. I'm not sure if it's due to a slightly more aggressive cyclops magnification or if the actual font is thicker, but it's a discernible difference if you're looking for it and have a genuine watch for comparison.

The VSF is pretty much flawless.

Now, I'm wondering: how much better is the Dandong 3285 movement really compared to the SH3285? Sure, it has a smaller power reserve at 40 hours compared to DD's 72. But is it otherwise as reliable? If so, I'd almost say that the VSF is a better deal since it looks slightly better and is roughly 150 euros cheaper.

What do you guys think?

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Hi:)

VSF? You dont mean ARF?

VSF released a GMT, but with old CLEAN parts, and under other factory name, and they built in VR3186 movement.
DD movements are all very reliable, they are made by "Peacock" in Dan Dong region.
Bracelet quality from CLEAN is way better IMO.

Reactions: CTime and KJ2020

duderino

11/6/24
Hi:)

VSF? You dont mean ARF?

VSF released a GMT, but with old CLEAN parts, and under other factory name, and they built in VR3186 movement.
DD movements are all very reliable, they are made by "Peacock" in Dan Dong region.
Bracelet quality from CLEAN is way better IMO.
No, I actually mean VSF. They have the GMT II with a SH3285 movement.

duderino

11/6/24
I think the SH is also referred to as VR (sorry for double post, couldn't edit)

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
VSF: Old CLEAN parts, but: better xtal, better bezel action. (Sadly not genlike construction, but if you dont want to mod anything, no problem)

CLEAN: overall the one to go.
Better rehaut, movement, all except bezel action and xtal:)

duderino

11/6/24
VSF: Old CLEAN parts, but: better xtal, better bezel action. (Sadly not genlike construction, but if you dont want to mod anything, no problem)

CLEAN: overall the one to go.
Better rehaut, movement, all except bezel action and xtal:)
I honestly don't see a difference between the Clean and the VSF rehaut; they're both excellent (with the naked eye). The bezel action is definitely better. It's basically the same as the genuine watch. The Clean version has too much friction, as if you're turning in the mud.
Could be, I have no idea to be honest. I do know that it's known movement that has been modified with a gmt module. Other than the fact that it has a 40 hour power reserve in stead of 72, is this a good movement? Or a time-bomb (I'm guessing this means a super unreliable movement that can break at any moment.)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I honestly don't see a difference between the Clean and the VSF rehaut; they're both excellent (with the naked eye). The bezel action is definitely better. It's basically the same as the genuine watch. The Clean version has too much friction, as if you're turning in the mud.

Could be, I have no idea to be honest. I do know that it's known movement that has been modified with a gmt module. Other than the fact that it has a 40 hour power reserve in stead of 72, is this a good movement? Or a time-bomb (I'm guessing this means a super unreliable movement that can break at any moment.)
The VSF has a VR3186 movement. It's modeled after the gen 3185. Yours is simply engraved 3285, it has no other relationship to SH DD or gen 3285.

It's been around since Nov 2019 and was the gold standard true clone GMT movement until recently. There are two versions of it, the only difference being the V2 (what you have) has a fake free spring balance deco plate to make it look like gen. As a result, the regulator arms (not present on a gen) had to be pushed to the far side of the balance wheel. This makes it harder to regulate the movement, and was not seen as a positive upgrade by most. But it doesn't change the reliability of the movement.

Both VR3186 versions are modeled after the gen 3185, the main difference from 3186 being the GMT parts. Both gen 3185s and VR3186s exhibit hands wobble while hour jumping. There was also an SH3186 that came out around the same time that was modeled after the gen 3186. It is not a reliable movement and should be avoided.

The gen 3186 was made to fix the hands wobble in the 3185. It took Rolex three attempts with modified jump click parts to get one that didn't break frequently. The SH3186 (found most often in early ARF models) never did come with a reliable GMT jump click.

You can learn a lot more about rep movements in the thread below.

Dogwood's Comprehensive. Movement Guide

Your VSF also has an innovative and IMO better than gen bezel assembly which I call the Rollerball. It's crazy good, Rolex have you seen it?

A different type of rep GMT bezel - The Rollerball!

Last edited:

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland

Clean version HAS mud underneath, thats why it feels like that. Can be seen here:

Rehaut: VSF uses CLEAN cases, maybe I wasnt clear:)

You are safe with both movements. (As safe you can be with rep movements)

duderino

11/6/24
The VSF has a VR3186 movement. It's modeled after the gen 3185. Yours is simply engraved 3285, it has no other relationship to SH DD or gen 3285.

It's been around since Nov 2019 and was the gold standard true clone GMT movement until recently. There are two versions of it, the only difference being the V2 (what you have) has a fake free spring balance deco plate to make it look like gen. As a result, the regulator arms (not present on a gen) had to be pushed to the far side of the balance wheel. This makes it harder to regulate the movement, and was not seen as a positive upgrade by most. But it doesn't change the reliability of the movement.

Both VR3186 versions are modeled after the gen 3185, the main difference from 3186 being the GMT parts. Both gen 3185s and VR3186s exhibit hands wobble while hour jumping. There was also an SH3186 that came out around the same time that was modeled after the gen 3186. It is not a reliable movement and should be avoided.

The gen 3186 was made to fix the hands wobble in the 3185. It took Rolex three attempts with modified jump click parts to get one that didn't break frequently. The SH3186 (found most often in early ARF models) never did come with a reliable GMT jump click.

You can learn a lot more about rep movements in the thread below.

Dogwood's Comprehensive. Movement Guide

Your VSF also has an innovative and IMO better than gen bezel assembly which I call the Rollerball. It's crazy good, Rolex have you seen it?

A different type of rep GMT bezel - The Rollerball!
Why, this reply is golden; thank you!

One last question: how do I know I have the good movement and not the one that should be avoided? The only thing the TD told me was that this was a VSF GMT II with an SH3285 (Shanghai) movement.
Clean version HAS mud underneath, thats why it feels like that. Can be seen here:

Rehaut: VSF uses CLEAN cases, maybe I wasnt clear:)

You are safe with both movements. (As safe you can be with rep movements)
Thank you!

This has to be the most positive community I have ever experienced. You guys rock!

• Love
Reactions: derjenigewelcher

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Why, this reply is golden; thank you!

One last question: how do I know I have the good movement and not the one that should be avoided? The only thing the TD told me was that this was a VSF GMT II with an SH3285 (Shanghai) movement.

Thank you!

This has to be the most positive community I have ever experienced. You guys rock!
Great we could help you.
I guess it was your luck that @KJ2020 found your thread - never have read a "I cant tell you, cause I dont know this" from him before.

duderino

11/6/24
Great we could help you.
I guess it was your luck that @KJ2020 found your thread - never have read a "I cant tell you, cause I dont know this" from him before.
Yeah, that was amazing and actually cleared up a whole lot!

You know what's ironic? That I've been collecting genuine watches since I bought my first Submariner 20 years ago, on my 21st birthday. Never have I been particularly been interested in movements and movement quality. Now that I discovered how good replicas actually are, a whole new world opened up. Ha!

• Haha

duderino

11/6/24
Oh, I also found this video, where they refer to it as SH3285. I think this movement is in my GMT

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Oh, I also found this video, where they refer to it as SH3285. I think this movement is in my GMT
AFAIK the SH3285 is also something different. Its the VR3285 (SH stands here for Shanghai, company which makes the VR movements) also built in in the GMF explorers for example.
VR3186 has for example no ball bearing holders for the rotor.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
That video compares these 3285s

Gen --- CL (CLEAN), which is DD --- SH

There are only two new true clone 3285 rep movements

DD --- SH

From my previous post
"The VSF has a VR3186 movement. It's modeled after the gen 3185. Yours is simply engraved 3285, it has no other relationship to SH DD or gen 3285."

Your CLEAN Sprite has a DD3285, if that's what you were referring to. As of now, CLEAN has exclusive rights to the DD3285. So it's easy - all the rest can only have an SH3285 IF they have a true clone 3285 (VSF does not).

Last edited:

duderino

11/6/24
That video compares these 3285s

Gen --- CL (CLEAN), which is DD --- SH

There are only two new true clone 3285 rep movements

DD --- SH

From my previous post
"The VSF has a VR3186 movement. It's modeled after the gen 3185. Yours is simply engraved 3285, it has no other relationship to SH DD or gen 3285."

Your CLEAN Sprite has a DD3285, if that's what you were referring to.
Yeah, I asked specifically because the comprehensive guide refers to a few movements which should be avoided and this movement specifically:

SH3285 aka VR3285 (Correct Hand Stack)

So I wondered how I could know whether I had the good, modified 3185 movement, or this SH/VR3285 which should be reliable, but has show some issues in the past, with someone.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Yeah, I asked specifically because the comprehensive guide refers to a few movements which should be avoided and this movement specifically:

So I wondered how I could know whether I had the good, modified 3185 movement, or this SH/VR3285 which should be reliable, but has show some issues in the past, with someone.
I personally had issues on the VR3285 keyless works wise. to be fair, in the beginning the rotor skrew of the DD3285 broke off at some members here also. They both are relatively new movements, so time will improve I guess:)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

You can spend hours poring over the pictures of the movements and learning all of the minute differences.

Or, you can just believe what I told you ;)

Ofc there is always a chance that you didn't actually get the movement that was advertised in the sales link. This has happened many times. Sometimes a factory is trying to offload some older movements after a new one is released and buyers get stuck with last year's model. TD's get caught in the middle of this sometimes and it can create friction. Most TD's will remove the caseback and send movement pics, some will not. Other times you can tell what movement it is by which way the hands move.

So you can verify yours is a 3186 if the hands rotate clockwise when you move the crown forward in time setting mode. AFAIK no factory has used the SH3186 for years so if you have a 3186, you can rest assured it is a VR, the good one. Also SH never made a V2 with a fake free spring balance deco plate so that's another way to tell. Post a pic here if you want confirmation.

Last edited:

duderino

11/6/24
You can spend hours poring over the pictures of the movements and learning all of the minute differences.

Or, you can just believe what I told you ;)

Ofc there is always a chance that didn't actually get the movement that was advertised in the sales link. This has happened many times. Sometimes a factory is trying to offload some older movements after a new one is released and buyers get stuck with last year's model. TD's get caught in the middle of this sometimes and it can create friction. Most TD's will remove the caseback and send movement pics, some will not. Other times you can tell what movement it is by which way the hands move.

So you can verify yours is a 3186 if the hands rotate clockwise when you move the crown forward in time setting mode. AFAIK no factory has used the SH3186 for years so if you have a 3186, you can rest assured it is a VR, the good one. Also SH never made a V2 with a fake free spring balance deco plate so that's another way to tell. Post a pic here if you want confirmation.
I believe you! I’m just generally curious and want to know why people think what they think.

I’d love to take a picture but I don’t know how to remove the caseback. Is it worth buying some kind of tool for that? What would yoi advise for home use?