• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT 116710BLNR - Batman - where to get a gen or gen like bezel ?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Good thread! However although we can struggle to get the right blue, the hole in the cannon pinion will be always there, for me a big flaw easy to see in pics

008224387156df1c07b8339739e7f318.jpg

That's a lot harder to see than the ICHS

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
Thanks for that tip bro. It's been doing exactly that. Too much build up in the corners. I may have to start over on the triangle. I've learned to be patient with this and not get frustrated. I can only do one coat a day anyway. It's not like I can't wear my Molotow paint modded Batman in the meantime. It's tolerable for the short term. Look at that triangle though - perfection! Need to achieve that with the enamel so it will last.

Fr6LA.jpg

Can you please a pic of the triangle on your molotow one? I’m still struggling to get the molotow paint to stay on my triangle. Keeps rubbing off after a few days. I’m thinking to put a clear coat of nail polish over it and see how it holds up. Thoughts?

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Good thread! However although we can struggle to get the right blue, the hole in the cannon pinion will be always there, for me a big flaw easy to see in pics

008224387156df1c07b8339739e7f318.jpg

The cyclops, hands, and dial markers don’t set it off for you?

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Can you please a pic of the triangle on your molotow one? I’m still struggling to get the molotow paint to stay on my triangle. Keeps rubbing off after a few days. I’m thinking to put a clear coat of nail polish over it and see how it holds up. Thoughts?

The pic you quoted is the Molotow one. The key to keeping a Molotow modded insert clean and lasting is never touch it. I wipe it occasionally with a slightly damp jewelry cloth lightly sprayed with Walmart eyeglass cleaning solution. May sound odd, but it works well and so far hasn't eroded the acrylic paint like alcohol or jewelry cleaning solution will. I take care to avoid getting any solution in the cuts. I quick-spray the cloth (one spritz) and let it air dry briefly then gently wipe the insert. My 6 month old paint mod on my ARF SD43 is still going strong.

BK used to put a coat of slow cure epoxy over the engravings after doing a paint mod. I've stopped short of doing that because you have to use acetone to clean off the excess and I didnt want to deal with that. The same would be true if using nail polish, nail polish remover is acetone. If using either epoxy or nail polish I would clip some bristles OFF the smallest brush I have and try not to get ANY of the product outside of the marker cuts.

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
The pic you quoted is the Molotow one. The key to keeping a Molotow modded insert clean and lasting is never touch it. I wipe it occasionally with a slightly damp jewelry cloth lightly sprayed with Walmart eyeglass cleaning solution. May sound odd, but it works well and so far hasn't eroded the acrylic paint like alcohol or jewelry cleaning solution will. I take care to avoid getting any solution in the cuts. I quick-spray the cloth (one spritz) and let it air dry briefly then gently wipe the insert. My 6 month old paint mod on my ARF SD43 is still going strong.

BK used to put a coat of slow cure epoxy over the engravings after doing a paint mod. I've stopped short of doing that because you have to use acetone to clean off the excess and I didnt want to deal with that. The same would be true if using nail polish, nail polish remover is acetone. If using either epoxy or nail polish I would clip some bristles OFF the smallest brush I have and try not to get ANY of the product outside of the marker cuts.

Aaah, gotcha. Damn RWI app doesn’t show many photos so after going to the website now I see your photo.

I think you’re having better luck too since yours is the noob insert with deeper engravings.

Mine is an aftermarket eBay one with shallow engravings. It’s fine for the numbers but the centre of the triangle gets rubbed easily when I go ever it with my shirt!

I’ll try the nail polish soon and take your advice into consideration. Thanks.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Aaah, gotcha. Damn RWI app doesn’t show many photos so after going to the website now I see your photo.
I think you’re having better luck too since yours is the noob insert with deeper engravings.
Mine is an aftermarket eBay one with shallow engravings. It’s fine for the numbers but the centre of the triangle gets rubbed easily when I go ever it with my shirt!
I’ll try the nail polish soon and take your advice into consideration. Thanks.

You might have better luck on your aftermarket insert if you carve out all the paint to an empty engraving. My aftermarket insert looked very shallow til I dug all the paint out.

Original

lU4Ga.jpg

All carved out

lkSiU.jpg

Repainted

Snzvr.jpg
​​​​​​

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
You might have better luck on your aftermarket insert if you carve out all the paint to an empty engraving. My aftermarket insert looked very shallow til I dug all the paint out.

Original

lU4Ga.jpg

All carved out

lkSiU.jpg

Repainted

Snzvr.jpg
​​​​​​

This is a great and useful thread...keep going guys wow

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16

Original

lU4Ga.jpg

All carved out

lkSiU.jpg

Repainted

Snzvr.jpg
​​​​​​

Right on, mate. I did scratch off all the white paint and it did help. But my insert has slightly thinner engravings, and shallower, than the one you got.

0392172349269df9481ee7cdafe672c1.jpg

jamilton

3/6/14
Germany
The cyclops, hands, and dial markers don’t set it off for you?

Of course, al this flaws are really more noticeable

By the way, I was looking the same dealer’s web (ts-station)

Isn’t BP inset darker and really better than noob one ?
c82e4e8b41270e1085b27270a582ed27.jpg
. (May be it is the light conditions)

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 do you have a pic from the 6 too have it a edge like the noobs ?

Here's a pic of all the markers with original paint dug out, and one of the 6 repainted. No transition bump like the Noob, but the recess bottoms are pretty rough.

TUN2R.jpg

TUftZ.jpg

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
Here’s my latest attempt at the molotow paint mod.

This time I attempted to protect the paint with a coating of clear nail polish. While the nail polish coating did protect the paint, I found that it was optically not pleasing. So I removed it just by scratching and peeling it away.

The interesting thing is that somehow the underlying molotow silver paint is much stronger now. It doesn’t rub off easily like it did before. Perhaps some of the chemicals in the nail polish penetrated it and made it more durable. Something others may want to as a cheap, loner lasting paint mod.

9b092f7b76070911ae723f0075639da7.jpg

1a39775ae64479e10623ceb317eacc5b.jpg

3b8cfca3c1bcd7d7dac705e77866e094.jpg

Reactions: watchboi

jamilton

3/6/14
Germany
Frankly speaking do not understand why you guys spend so much time in the mod painting while the fat hands or the cannon pinion hole are an instant flaw..

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Frankly speaking do not understand why you guys spend so much time in the mod painting while the fat hands or the cannon pinion hole are an instant flaw..

The bezel is a much more noticeable flaw, even at a distance.

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
I'd hold off for few more days with search for the gen insert - the new version of GMT Batman has been posted on Puretime, no specs and detail but at least from the photos it looks better than the previous version(s).

This way you can get the whole watch for less than the price of a gen insert only. Just IMO, anyway.

rlx2019010503-02.jpg

Reactions: Tacotuesday

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
I'd hold off for few more days with search for the gen insert - the new version of GMT Batman has been posted on Puretime, no specs and detail but at least from the photos it looks better than the previous version(s).

This way you can get the whole watch for less than the price of a gen insert only. Just IMO, anyway.

rlx2019010503-02.jpg

Will definitely keep an eye out for this one. Not gonna lie. Kinda hoping it sucks. Only because I know I'll buy it and I've spent way too much money on these things recently

brawndo

Thirst Mutilator
17/9/18

rlx2019010503-02.jpg

They added a new pepsi and black one as well, does the bezel look aluminum to anyone else? I can't tell if these are ceramic or not.