• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

General procedure broken clasp.

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
I am wondering what the general procedure is for a broken clasp after wearing the watch for the first time.. Explorer I I noob factory. My TD said they don't sell just the clasp I'd have to a) buy another bracelet $80 plus shipping... Or send the watch back.. I was told the manufacturer only warranties the movement...? But what about the rest of the watch? I'm going to try and fix it myself but was curious why the manufacturer offers no warranty on the rest of the watch.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
If that's the case just buy a new aftermarket clasp, or put it on a leather.

Sent using Tapatalk

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Next time inspect your watch fully upon arrival. That should be common sense its a rep and aren't known for high quality.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
It is amazing to me that the policies have changed so much now that these watches are twice the price of what we used to pay years ago. I had two defective clasp issues with previous reps and both Josh and Angus were Johnny on the spot with sending me a replacement. Literally same day. I snapped a few pics and they sent them out. I didn't have to pay anything and I certainly didn't have to send back anything. In fact, Josh sent me a whole bracelet and clasp for my GMTIIC. Excellent service from both of them.

Sounds like the TDs aren't offering the same level of post sales service anymore. [emoji53]

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
That's what I thought and that's exactly why I asked..

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
Sub4me this was the first time wearing it and the clasp spring bar grove is defective and also the spring bar. Inspecting without fully disassembling the whole clasp would have been impossible. So you are saying I drop 300-500 on a rep and I have to take it apart to make sure it was built correctly? This is a noob factory product.. Aren't they "the best" factory? That's my impression of them from reading about them. It's only a clasp... But still!

looks like I will stick to GUG they have real Swiss ETA movements and actually care when their product breaks. Thank you for your time.

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
From looking I don't see anything that looks damaged. It's possible that the springbars just weren't seated properly into the holes? Did you try putting them back in?

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
I did try but they won't grab the inner walls. The holes aren't lined up correctly or the frame they fit in is bent slightly..? Who knows. On a side note the gmt hand does not tell the correct time.. I can adjust it but it doesn't function the way it should.. Maybe that's a rep thing? I'm not sure... But I was willing to live with that.. Then the clasp explodes. This purchase may have been a mistake.

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
It states functioning GMT hand. So does that mean you can adjust it but it doesn't keep time? Or should it work like a GMT hand usually does?

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
It doesn't keep the correct time. It moves at its own pace and that pace is always the wrong time. The other hands work fine. I thought maybe the gmt hand was just there for looks not to tell gmt time? It's a rep so anything is possible I'm learning this now.

flyr

Renowned Member
15/9/12
THE GMT hand moves at half the speed of the normal hour hand and only goes around ONCE in 24 hours.
If you have trouble setting it here are some procedures to use.
Try this:

Setting the A2836 GMT

If the watch has stopped or is showing the wrong time.( like when you get it)
Give it a swirl or a bit of a wind to get it running,then,

1. Unscrew crown
2. Gently pull out crown and stem to 3rd position (time setting)
3. Turn crown CCW to move main hands FORWARD to desired time. (try not to move hands backwards at any time)
4. Push stem in.
5. Gently pull out crown and stem to 2nd position (date and GMT setting)
6. Turn crown CCW till the GMT hand is where you want. The GMT hand only goes backwards in time so don't worry. There is a detent at each hour that you will see that the GMT hand wants to stay at.
7. Turn the crown CW to set the date.
8. Push in crown and screw down the crown (remember to turn it backwards till you feel the threads match up)

If the watch is running and you want to change the position of the GMT hand but the date is OK

1. Unscrew crown
2. Gently pull out crown and stem
3. Turn crown CCW to set GMT hand where you want.
4. And this is the important one
Turn the crown CW a bit till you see the date shift a tiny bit. ( this ensures the GMT setting gear is disengaged)
5. Push in and screw down crown

If for some reason the GMT is lagging or shows the wrong time for some unknown reason

1. Unscrew crown
2. Gently pull out crown and stem to 3rd position
3. Turn crown CCW to move hands forward through 24 to 48 hrs. and set at correct time
4. Push in crown
5. Gently pull crown and stem out to 2nd position
6. Turn crown CCW to set GMT hand
7. Turn crown CW to set date (even if you have to go through the whole month)
8. Push in and screw down crown.

The bottom line is, the last thing you should do before screwing down crown(besides the backwards turn to line up threads) is to see the date shift a tiny amount.(to make sure the GMT setting gear is disengaged)

I don't know if it makes a difference with the 2836 movement but to be on the safe side, Don't change the date between 9pm and 3am.

Hope this helps. (now you know as much as I do about them)

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
My impression from my fellow forum members is "it's a rep" so just be happy the watch you received was actually the watch in the QC pics.. Lol what a racket.

flyr

Renowned Member
15/9/12
Remember the GMT hand (if you set it to local time) must be set according to the 24 hour clock eg: 4pm is 16 on the bezel and 4am is 4 on the bezel.

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
From what I do know is a gmt hand tells gmt time. So it should be 4 hours ahead of my local time at all times?