• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fundraiser for OZ bushfire Victims. Raffle, CLOSED!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Re: Fundraiser for OZ bushfire Victims.Win stuff, 5 watches+more

Hey folks. Belive it or not due to the generosity of great people more prizes have been added!

We have an example of the best wireless keyboard ever made and a DateJust. Thats FIVE WATCHES IN TOTAL!
Thanks to WBK and Whoosh70!
See the main post for details and keep the donations comming. We have to make this worth the kindness of all who have given so freely for the prize pool!!!!
Thanks to all who have allready given.

Regards, Col.

spider87

Known Member
9/2/09

Do they accept paypal? I have the paypal card too but I'm trying to decide if I should go through transferring some USD to AUD to just pay with paypal or if I should just pay with my paypal cc?

shundi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/12/07

I say just use the paypal cc and take the exch. rate they use...pain in the ass to transfer otherwise.

spider87

Known Member
9/2/09

shundi said:
I say just use the paypal cc and take the exch. rate they use...pain in the ass to transfer otherwise.

That's my other question... it will just do it automatically right? If I put in 1.5AUD(eg.) it will just charge the card for that and paypal will automatically give them 1USD right?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08

Yes mate. You will be paying in AUD. So, if you donate say 25AUD for five tickets your cc will be debited for roughly 16.25USD. The CC company do the conversion for you. If you need any help PM me. I'm here prety much arround the clock for the next week.

Col.

36anne63

Known Member
7/1/09

Hey guys tried to donate through the red cross site using my master card.

It didn`t work, I`m wondering if this is why so few donations are being made.

Why don`t they use the old pay pal ?

Trailboss do you have a link for paypal / red cross ?

surviber

Horology Curious
25/1/09

Anne I used mastercard when I made my donation and it went through fine. just make sure all information inputted relates to billing address on card or bank.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08

UPDATE

All who have donated as of 05.50 GMT should have had tickets sent. If you have not PM me. We are working on the issue of paying by PP but it doesn't look good ATM. Most of us will have CC anyway.

KEEP DONATING!
What's 3.3USD? Hardly buys a beer does it? We don't care if you can only afford one ticket or 100.It all makes a difference! Due to the number of book buyers I feel that people are not giving small amounts 'cause they think it won't help. Nonsence! Even 5 bucks makes a difference and is as welcome as 50. Also, the Geeks are now in the lead for total donations! Shurly that's not on? Keep it comming folks, there's a whole swag of prizes our there to be won. See the main post for the start of the auction for the NFL jersey. It's at 50 bucks ATM. The jersey itself is worth 300 and it's signed!

Many thanks to all who have donated so far. Give yourselvs a pat on the head. And more of you post here when you do please? It looks like no one is giving!

Reagrds, Col.

madcatlancelot

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/08

Trailboss: I admire your selflessness and effort for the fundraising drive, happy to help even with a small amount. Have emailed to [email protected] the e-receipt.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant

Just donated twice, one for $5 which will be the one for my only ticket. Call me old fashioned. :p I encourage everyone to do so, not for the prizes but for the people affected; this is truly a worthy cause!

so...

Everyone donate FTW!

BTW I'd like to see the gen forums doing this. Trailboss you're admirable. :)

1234768777185.jpg

Mr.Majestyk

15/2/08

It's not so much a worthy cause, rather REAL life guys....
My sister-in-law lives in Whittlesea, just south of where the fire swept through last weekend fanned by 80-100K/PH winds. Luckily in the afternoon, the wind swung from a NW to a SE & although it missed most of her township, it did claim some of the homes on the outskirts.
The devastation & effect on survivors will be felt for years.
We know of families who've lost everything, not just homes, which can be re-built.
It was drummed into us again the other day with news of my 8yr old niece's friend from school who, along with her whole family had been confirmed to have perished in the inferno....
We have helped where we can, with clothing, support, food, time yet still feel utterly useless, never able to understand their circumstances. As tragic & sad as things are, the Australian people have come together & pledged a great deal, but every little bit helps.

So even if you can't donate, 'cos you really need that lume-job, or that strap is in need of replacing......send you prayers to the people affected by Black Saturday, a day never to be forgotten....

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08

Thanks guys, every donation counts and helps. $5 or $500 to bowwor a line from Marx:" from each according to his abilities" Don't feel embarased by a small donation. As i told someone yester day who felt bad 'cause as a student he copuld only afford a fiver: Five bucks from a student is as great a donation as five hundred from a Doctor" And while the size of some donations has been truly amazing I have a feeling that some folk are still holding back on small ones due to embarasment at the size of what they can afford to give. DON'T! 5 is a larger number than zero!

I have heard stories from down there I wouldn't repeat, I have seen pics I simply wouldn't expose you to. I spoke to one of my Victorian counterparts via IM yesterday. He is a firecare counciler (they work with fire fighters after bad fires and crashes). He is trying to figger out how to approch a crew that discovered a group of eight adult bodies huddled arround the remains of a three mth old baby . . . I think after all is done he is going to need more help than those he is helping thru this. Truely tragic events.

I don't think I have used this pic here yet. It's taken in Melbourne, the capitial of Victoria quite a ways from the worst of the fires. It speaks for itself.
smokeand737copy.jpg

As Croc Dundee would say "Now THAT'S a fire!"

Col.

offshore

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
17/3/06
Re: Fundraiser for OZ bushfire Victims. Raffle, 5 watches+more

I was reading earlier, that the mass destruction of trees and undergrowth, in the water catchment areas, may have a major impact on water supplies in the future.
http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/conten ... 493567.htm
This, in an area, already in drought conditions, is another cruel blow.
The impact of this tragedy will be felt for many, many years.
Offshore

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08

Yep, the water board are pumping billions of mega liters of water away from the area before it's contaminated.
WTF are you doing up? I have a thread to babysit and tickets to write, at least I have an excuse!
Some kind soul who shall remain nameless on Geeks just gave $250!!!!!!!
Beat that fellas!

Col.

tehflea

Known Member
10/11/08

trailboss99 said:
Yep, the water board are pumping billions of mega liters of water away from the area before it's contaminated.
WTF are you doing up? I have a thread to babysit and tickets to write, at least I have an excuse!
Some kind soul who shall remain nameless on Geeks just gave $250!!!!!!!
Beat that fellas!

Col.

well, cant beat that, just started my new job and waiting for that first paycheck to hit...

but did send $100 their way

i am a red cross member here and i have worked brush fires before, but i have >never< seen anything like that... hopefully they catch a break over there

boo

Known Member
3/5/08

Donation sent...good luck with the fundraiser!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08

Big Bump. More prizes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, I'l soon to be anounceing some more prizes! For starters WBK has come thru with a boxset for the DJ. That about doubles the value of that prize folks. There's also a Mont Blanc pen from the same great guy as well as another piece TBA.
Australia003.jpg

Australia011.jpg

Thanks again Wacko Bird Keeper!

Were on our way to two grand but with the combined membership of thirty or forty thousand we can do a hell of a lot better than that! Look at the prize list folks!

GIVE!

On a far less happy note the death toll is now over 200 and Kenburg informs me that a firefighter from Canberra has been killed by a falling tree while on deployment in Victoria. My condolences to his fellow firefighters and his family.

Col.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07

Donated.

madcatlancelot

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/08

Trailboss: The email re: AUS Red Cross receipt bounced back after 2 days! I'll be sending the email again today.

Message from yahoo.com.
Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

<[email protected]>:
Resources temporarily unavailable, please try again later [#4.1.9].
/I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

--- Original message follows.