• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

FAKE Watches for FAKE PEOPLE!!!

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
Re: Anti-couterfeiting campaign

its funny

before i got my first rep (Tag Carrera), i'd never even think or consider spending thousands of dollars on a gen. but now that i've been wearing it for a month or so, i've been looking around trying to source a reasonably priced gen Carrera chrono.

who said reps are bad for business again?

TatsNguns

4/12/08

Great Point MW ,

not that the gens would think that a great business plan , I can see the ads now ,, buy a rep and after a while come and buy a real one we will be waiting for you with our nice wood boxes and fancy watch clothes waiting for you ! =)

Tatsnguns

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07

hk45ca said:
damnit!!! my wife and i both wear rep and gen rolex's!!! are we half fake? what about my unborn daughter? is she already 1/4 fake before she is even born???

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!! I..... CAN'T.......TAKE....MUCH ...MORE!!!

Holy cow that's funny. Does this mean you need to have sex more frequently due to half genuine bullets? Half potent enough to help conceive your 1/4 child. :D Things that make you think...

If you see Kay

Respected Member
26/1/09

PHicks said:
If a basic Rolex (for example) was $600, about what it's worth IMO, then I think people would treat Reps differently. Of course people like wm9 would be out of business pretty quickly along with Rolex that spends vast amount of money on marketing the image.

?

That is why you don't see any Citizen Eco Drive Perpetual Calendar watches being repped. Or any Seikos (except for maybe a handful) being repped. I see more Seikos and Citizens on wrists and in display cases around town than I do Rolexes, Omegas and Breitlings.

Practically every single shopping mall watch store has Citizens and Seikos filled to the brim. Most if not all are under $1,000 and the average price is about $500 for a decent model. My Citizens watch was $450, 8 years ago.

IMHO the high end watchmakers are not doing themselves any favours by appealing to the mass market, but then again, I don't think they ever were) :|

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06

The Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie and the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry issue these statments every now and then as the Haute Fakerie de la Reperisti only continue to flourish amisdt the warnings. Besides, with PeaceMark holdings, a China based company now owning several swiss movement companies including SOPROD, fat chance of the Swiss telling the Chinese what to do. Heck, they own the swiss. :D

hs2001

Getting To Know The Place
22/1/09

guru said:
Since I try to use everyday a different watch my manager asked me 2 weeks ago which one my most expensive watch was. Beeing nice ( still want to get a raise) I told here that I only can affort reps. The funny part is now, that she wanted the link of trusted dealers and I am suppost to get her one.

Good call, I probably would have said something inappropriate like "I bought it with embezzled company funds" and worry for the next week if they can take a joke or not.

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
I guess we are all fake and dont exist.

Dont know if this was posted before or not.

http://www.hautehorlogerie.org/en/fonda ... lease.html

A global response to counterfeiting worldwide « FAKE WATCHES ARE FOR FAKE PEOPLE ! »
The Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie and the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry are joining forces to launch an international anti-counterfeiting campaign. Their objective is to inform the public on the damage caused by this global scourge.

In spite of the many efforts made, the problem of counterfeiting and piracy continues to wreak havoc on virtually every economy worldwide, and is expanding rapidly through multiple distribution channels, especially online.

Astronomical amounts
Calculations based on Customs seizures show that counterfeits and piracy worldwide amount to US$ 200 billion to 360 billion a year, or 5% to 7% of international tradeSwiss watches are no exception, as the sector is hit full-on by this modern-day plague.

The Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry (FHS) estimates that over 40 million fake Swiss watches are made each year (compared with exports of almost 26 million authentic Swiss watches in 2007) and that they generate net profits of around one billion dollars. This illicit trade, whose main victims are the most prestigious Swiss brands, is equivalent to around 6% of total Swiss watch exports for 2007.

Everyone suffers
In this context, it would be naïve to imagine that counterfeiting can be defeated simply by targeting the counterfeiters and their means of production. This wouldn’t be such a thriving industry without the individuals who buy fake watches, and who fail to realise the full extent of the damage they cause, in particular in human terms. The priority in the fight against counterfeiting must therefore be to speak directly to these potential customers and have them realise that what they believe is a harmless purchase has serious consequences on companies and nations. Legislative weapons and international measures still lack the impact to defeat this global scourge; hence the customers themselves must realise that wearing a fake luxury watch is empty of meaning.

Counterfeiters increasingly target internationally renowned Fine Watch brands, whose reputation, capacity for innovation and sales all suffer as a result. These brands must also invest significant amounts in the fight against illicit copies in all their forms and to protect their intellectual property. As counterfeiting continues to spread, an even more serious consequence is the generalised loss of confidence in companies that nevertheless create jobs and added value. At national level, counterfeiting forces governments to invest heavily in the fight against fakes while losing out on tax revenues, and takes away employment opportunities. Finally, the phenomenal amounts of money generated by counterfeiting go on to benefit the mafias, criminal organisations and terrorist groups that reign over this illicit trade, where child labour is commonplace, and health and safety standards are openly flouted.

A powerful message
Faced with a scourge that undermines companies and countries alike, the Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie (FHH) has joined forces with the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry (FH) to launch a vast information campaign aimed at the general public. It will take the form of powerful visuals backed by a simple, hard-hitting message: "Fake Watches are for Fake People." The campaign will be unrolled in the international media that are supporting this initiative. Clearly, the Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie, whose vocation is to defend and promote the values of Fine Watchmaking and its professions, could not stay silent in the face of counterfeiting. The time has come to challenge this plague on innovative, socially-responsible, high-tech businesses.
We can no longer stand by and do nothing, so let’s say it out loud:

« FAKE WATCHES ARE FOR FAKE PEOPLE ! »
The anti-counterfeiting campaign was unveiled at the Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie 2009: http://www.sihh.org

Contacts :
Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie
Press service
22, avenue du Mail
CH-1205 Genève
Tel : +41 22 307 09 90
Fax: +41 22 307 09 95
E-mail : [email protected]

Fédération de l’industrie horlogère suisse
Jean-Daniel Pasche
Rue d’Argent 6
CH-2501 Bienne
Tel : +41 22 328 08 28
Fax: +41 32 328 08 80
E-mail : [email protected]
http://www.fhs.ch

My eyes have been opened. I must now report ALL of us! LOL!

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Re: I guess we are all fake and dont exist.

OMG! I'm going to go to a dark corner, put on some Linkin Park while cutting myself in the fetal position crying myself to sleep! :p

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia

@ahw... you are real.. I saw your pics.. :)

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08

alviando said:

True. If I were buying parts, I'd probably have gotten a more substantial size on some of them. :)

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Certified
1/10/08
Texas

ahw676 said:
alviando said:

True. If I were buying parts, I'd probably have gotten a more substantial size on some of them. :)
It's never too late to upgrade!! :twisted:

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08

levelmanroger said:
ahw676 said:
It's never too late to upgrade!! :twisted:

Bite me.

Better yet, bite THEM.

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis

ahw676 said:
alviando said:

Nothing like a "+2" upgrade!

(adds 2 points to your 1-10 rating)

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06

ahw676 said:
alviando said:

5 posts and we're derailed by the mere concept of AH's boobies. AGAIN.

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08

coop said:

I think that the upgrades are measured in letter sizes, not numbers of 1-10.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06

ahw676 said:
coop said:

Does anyone else find it interesting that of 1300 of AH's posts, 1100 of them are about her boobies or some derivation thereof, 150 are slamming me, 49 are medical related (and thoroughly gross), and 1 has been about a watch? Remind me again how you became a mod?

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08

seanf said:
Does anyone else find it interesting that of 1300 of AH's posts, 1100 of them are about her boobies or some derivation thereof, 150 are slamming me, 49 are medical related (and thoroughly gross), and 1 has been about a watch?

No. Only you.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant

seanf said:
ahw676 said:
coop said:

Does anyone else find it interesting that of 1300 of AH's posts, 1100 of them are about her boobies or some derivation thereof, 150 are slamming me, 49 are medical related (and thoroughly gross), and 1 has been about a watch? Remind me again how you became a mod?

Well, boobs will get you far... *looks at avatar* ... I mean, maybe.

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08

guanaco said:
Well, boobs will get you far... *looks at avatar* ... I mean, maybe.

No doubt. Every time I look at your avatar, I wonder when my own puberty is going to kick in.