• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

FAKE Watches for FAKE PEOPLE!!!

jeffmtbr

Known Member
26/1/09
Anti-couterfeiting campaign

I not sure if this has been posted before but the Hautehorlogerie foundation is lauchning this campaign for 2009.
http://www.hautehorlogerie.org/en/haute-horlogerie-preservation/anti-counterfeiting-campaign/

What do you think? I can't see how replicas hurt their business as much as they are saying. My first replica is a Rolex Daytona, my second and third are an Omega and a Submariner. These are watches I would never buy gen versions of.
The Omega, yeah I have the money for it, but I wouldn't pay that much for a watch.
That's just me though.

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Re: Anti-couterfeiting campaign

pinch.. pinch.. yep.. I'm real.. and have a fake watch on.. lol.. actually.. it's a real watch, not a fake watch, and one that looks 95% of the genuine.. at 95% less than the genuine cost.

They talk about astronomical cost.. they are not kidding... the prices of the genuine are crazy! lol..

PHicks

Renowned Member
29/8/08

FAKE WATCHES ARE FOR FAKE PEOPLE

Ok, they are trying to protect their market by convincing the general public that anyone that buys a Rep (I prefer this term to fake) is of shallow character. Good plan but I think most working class people really couldn't care a damn; they probably own one.

The Swiss watch industry has put such a high price on there products that most people think of them in the say way they perceive Wall Street CEO's; which is not good. If you buy any regular designer product, like a pair of sneakers, you expect to pay double or maybe triple the price of a comparable street product. The Swiss are simply screwing you with the price of most of their products; hell, most of them use basic ETA movements. There are exceptions of course, like some of the Patek Philippe watches with 'complications'. These are marvels of mechanical engineering with really complex moon phase mechanisms; but they are the exception IMHO.

If a basic Rolex (for example) was $600, about what it's worth IMO, then I think people would treat Reps differently. Of course people like wm9 would be out of business pretty quickly along with Rolex that spends vast amount of money on marketing the image.

Hey, I wonder if there is some guy from Rolex is reading this and will quote me in his report to the 'executives'?

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06

damnit!!! my wife and i both wear rep and gen rolex's!!! are we half fake? what about my unborn daughter? is she already 1/4 fake before she is even born???

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!! I..... CAN'T.......TAKE....MUCH ...MORE!!!

PHicks

Renowned Member
29/8/08

Your newborn should be OK as long as she doesn't wear a FAKE Rolex to his/her first kindergarten class.

subseeker

Renowned Member
Advisor
27/9/06

wasn't there a rumor saying that "if you buy fake goods, you are funding/sponsoring the terrorists"?
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PHicks

Renowned Member
29/8/08

Yes, Bin Laden wears a PAM.
The lume nearly gave him away when a predator was flying over Afghanistan but the CIA couldn't tell if it was a fake or not and so they missed the opportunity. I've heard he's switched to Timex now; so don't buy Timex, they're sponsored by terrorism!

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07

If I discriminate against rep wearers does that make me a Fakcist?

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08

Until recently I would have never bought a gen Breitling. Then the BCE rep came out and I loved the look of it so much that I went out and got myself a Breitling gen. Now, would Breilting have made that sale hadn't it been for the rep industry? No. Perhaps they should change their marketing campaign from "You wear fake watches? You are fake" to "Liked the rep? Then upgrade to the real thing". They might have some leverage there... But insulting rep buyers is hardly going to improve their image.

zedd

Known Member
4/7/08

If prices weren't astronomical, I would have bought lots of gen. The few nice gen watches I bought was because they are priced reasonably. Steinhart/Debaufre has nice watches for the money, so do Seikos(in-house movement and all). I would have bought gen Pams, but i don't see how a nicely cased up 6497 movement should cost 6-20 grand when Tourby watch co. can do bespoke pieces for so much less.

As far as swiss/german manufactures are concerned, I'll support the privately owned co. I don't believe in paying few grand for watches which are worn by your fav celeb.

optimis9

25/8/07

I had a friend whose wife buys lot of gen Lux good, hand bag, scarf, watch etc.
His wife once show off her new find to us and say how lucky she was to have got this bag. You can't just buy it, even if you have the money.
The husband quickly interjected that yeah " you have to be dumb too". :D

I'm not saying gen buyer are dumb. I'm just saying that " to each his own" . As evident in this forum member, there are lots of us who are gen and rep buyer (including me).
So if one really feel for it one could buy a gen. Like what rooster123 did. But if you like the look but feel the gen too overprice (like rep panerai owner did) then buy a rep.
Personally I think the rep world really helps promote a lot of unknown brad to the general public. I wouldn't have known about PAM , Dewitt, B & R etc.. for example if not for the rep. I am an average buyer who knows Lux watches = Rolex, Omega, Patek. So the rep world has actually enlighten me in the world of swiss luxury watch.

just my .01 cent

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08

If I discriminate against rep wearers does that make me a Fakcist? :rofl:

Pam's sucess is down to Sly Stallone, not us. Companies like Ebel prob owe us a bit tho. I wonder how many gens the Discovery rep has sold? After all it's not out of reach of a lot of people who bought the rep and loved it. I know quite a few folk who buy a rep before droping upwards of ten grand on the gen. Only makes sence to have a test drive first.

May be we should do a campain of our own. Hire Victor Kiam to stand there and say " Rep Rolex, I liked it so much I bought the gen." :)
It worked for shavers!

Col.

Hogan

Renowned Member
26/1/09

So people that build Cobra and Porsche Speedsters or other replica cars are fakers? Granted you cannot by some of these cars, but I also agree with a comment made here that most people by reps only to move into gens later in life when $$$ becomes lesser of an issue. I know the latest rep I ordered is making want a gen.

kitersoze

26/11/08

i'm sorry, but why is no one mentioning the terrible quality of the rep?!

i mean, there are so many tell's on that that i could've spotted that fake from across the room. the skin tone, texture, and sheen on the skin look all wrong. the nail polish could probably pass because it's enamel anyways, but what about the finger positions? who the hell walks around with their fingers held like that? n don't even get me started on the metal rod stickin' out on the end (it doesn't even slightly resemble bone)!!!

you would definitely get called out on it at a party, regardless of how nice your handbag and clothes are.

p.s. the rep watch looks pretty crappy, too.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06

I am wondering who cares about this campain....nobody! or less then 1 %

TAGfan

26/1/09

guru said:

Well said - I was thinking the same thing.

In addition - most of us could likely afford 75% of the gen watches out there worth owning, but who wants to pay that much for a watch, honestly? Not to mention if you want to dress up your wrist with more than one solitary watch it'll cost you a bloody fortune.

vgd1

Getting To Know The Place
27/1/09

hell, every person wearing a rep at any given time is a mini-billboard walking around advertising that company. They should pay us for wearing the reps, or give us gens at least, those selfish money-eaters.

zedd

Known Member
4/7/08

True that, other than the swiss companies themselves ;)

guru said:

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06

Well, just my 2 cents here. Just don't bother with their campaigns, that's the most productive way that we can do. Why are we upset to see their wordings?

We can always quote:

Buy yourself a real Hublot Big Bang, we can have one at 5% of your genuine price.

No after sales service, no problem, just buy another piece!

"I wait 4 months to get my AP ROO serviced." Worry not! We have the solution. Buy yourself a rep ROO. For 1/4 of your service bill, you can get yourself one.

yada yada yada.

Seriously. I couldn't be bothered.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06

takashi said:
Well, just my 2 cents here. Just don't bother with their campaigns, that's the most productive way that we can do. Why are we upset to see their wordings?

We can always quote:

Buy yourself a real Hublot Big Bang, we can have one at 5% of your genuine price.

No after sales service, no problem, just buy another piece!

"I wait 4 months to get my AP ROO serviced." Worry not! We have the solution. Buy yourself a rep ROO. For 1/4 of your service bill, you can get yourself one.

yada yada yada.

Seriously. I couldn't be bothered.

You are right my friend, good speach.

From 100 John Doe or Max Mustermann maybe 1 person could affort a +5K watch. The rest would buy a rep....but from this 99 persons left, only a small group of people know about reps and how you can get them.

Since I try to use everyday a different watch my manager asked me 2 weeks ago which one my most expensive watch was. Beeing nice ( still want to get a raise) I told here that I only can affort reps. The funny part is now, that she wanted the link of trusted dealers and I am suppost to get her one.

She really liked the idea of reps and I got a compliment about such a great hobby.