• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Explorer white face/black markers found

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Will do. The silver/grey markers are actually correct for an early 80's Exp 2. Bit if mine has them, after I was repeatedly told they were black, I'm going be soooo pissed!

prsist

Known Member
1/2/09
I wonder if pbdad can fix the swiss made 6 o'clock issue? That along with the hour rings are really the only tells.

gapple

I'm just hanging in there trying to decide where to buy one. Today I looked at 6 separate dealers. They all had pictures of the exact same watch. So much for: what you see is what you get.

The black markers look great. Let's see if anybody gets one of those.

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Obiviously the Chinese think gun metal grey is black! Argh!!! Mine's not black either. Everybody has the same watch regardless of the damn pictures I think. One surprise was I opened mine right off the bat to see if I had the 2836 movement I asked for. I didn't. A closer look revealed a 220-1 marking. It's a Selita! Not the 2836, but a good movement none the less. I was lucky and my BK WM9 showed up today as well. The second hand on the 220 is noticeably less smooth than the 2836 I know the WM9 has. Still, very smooth operation for the 220. The Exp2 is a damn fine looking watch, and other than wanting the black markers and getting silver ones, it's a great piece. Also, my gen dial looks like it would fit, but who knows? I may have to send it to Katt to see if it would. Sorry, no pics as I just have my iPad right now. Pics in a day or two.

prsist

Known Member
1/2/09
Obiviously the Chinese think gun metal grey is black! Argh!!! Mine's not black either. Everybody has the same watch regardless of the damn pictures I think. One surprise was I opened mine right off the bat to see if I had the 2836 movement I asked for. I didn't. A closer look revealed a 220-1 marking. It's a Selita! Not the 2836, but a good movement none the less. I was lucky and my BK WM9 showed up today as well. The second hand on the 220 is noticeably less smooth than the 2836 I know the WM9 has. Still, very smooth operation for the 220. The Exp2 is a damn fine looking watch, and other than wanting the black markers and getting silver ones, it's a great piece. Also, my gen dial looks like it would fit, but who knows? I may have to send it to Katt to see if it would. Sorry, no pics as I just have my iPad right now. Pics in a day or two.

What did you get from BK?

budoobudoo

29/8/08
The TimeShop model is a fantasy model as of today. It is on the GMT/Ceramic Sub oversized case. The Gen is rumoured to be released next year. But Mark's version is good looking enough, though.

prsist

Known Member
1/2/09
The TimeShop model is a fantasy model as of today. It is on the GMT/Ceramic Sub oversized case. The Gen is rumoured to be released next year. But Mark's version is good looking enough, though.

So the Exp II from Timeshops has the wrong case?

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Here's my Exp 2 and the gen dial I was thinking of putting in. The date wheel opening is much wider on the gen than the rep. I'll probably put it on ebay, and just send the watch out to get lumed and try and be satisfied with that. Really pisses me off I got lied to about the black markers and hands though.

045gs.jpg

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Why not keep it and pick up a date wheel that will work with it? Then have the appropriate DW installed with the dial? Shouldn't be a problem to take the overlay and swap them out (I would think). That's what I would do! :)

prsist

Known Member
1/2/09
Get used to it my friend. How much wider is the date window difference? What movt did you get? I'd say F*** it! have a modder put it on!

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
The deal is, to put the dial on the mounting feet have to be cut off. And if that happens, forget about selling it if it doesn't fit. The dial was $500. Of course I got gen hands with it, but I don't think they will work on a Selita. The gen dial window for the date is a good 1/3 wider than the rep. Damn the lume on the gen dial is just crazy bright, though. I was going to send it off to Katt and see what he could do. Or to Vac to get the stock dial and hands lumed. Decisions, decisions....... Any advice here guys? I'm not sure what to do.

prsist

Known Member
1/2/09
Honestly? I'd sell it then. A gen Exp II can be had pretty cheap, for Rolex's at least. I see them around $3k. In a couple years I plan on picking on up. It's always nice when the Rolex you love is not popular.

SilverEdge

Known Member
29/10/10
I am planning on waiting for the 2011 release of the Explorer II white dial from Rolex in hopes that a very nice rep will follow. For those who have not yet seen the newest version, here you go:

New%20Explorer%20II.jpg

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Hopefully, mine will look like that soon. It's off to Vac's tomorrow to see of the gen hands and dial can be made to work.

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
The Exp2 is off to Vac to get modded, and hopefully it will come back with a gen dial and black super lumed black hands. Now the hard part, waiting...... NUTS!

prsist

Known Member
1/2/09
Timesshop sent me a pic and I asked if I will be receiving what was in the photo. The photo showed and he conformed it has black hour rings. I doubt I will receive the black hour rings. We will see.

ExpII.jpg