• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Explorer I -124270 Gen & Clean Comprehensive Comparison

Genuine

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
3/4/22
You do realize that a gen is never going to run perfectly and keep perfect time, even if it's straight out of a fresh service.

The best mechanical watches generally gain or lose a few seconds a day, depending on temperature, position, and how you wear them. Most of my reps are comparable in accuracy to my gens. To be honest, most of my low end watches are, too.

Timex or Rolex, expect to be a few seconds off of the atomic clock at the end of a typical day.
Yeah, I do know.
This is my fourth movement and it is the worst, although it isn’t that bad, and it is in my most perfect rep.
I had one before wich was running almost as good as a genuine one so I know it can be better.
Mine gains a minute in two weeks and that’s just a bit too much I think but I’m glad it isn’t running too slow, now I just have to stop it for a minute now and then.

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
A minute in 2 weeks is under 5 seconds per day, which makes it comparable to a chronometer rated Gen.

You might get it to zero in the bench, but on your wrist, that’s about as good as a watch is capable of.

gym chan

Known Member
Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada
You do realize that a gen is never going to run perfectly and keep perfect time, even if it's straight out of a fresh service.

The best mechanical watches generally gain or lose a few seconds a day, depending on temperature, position, and how you wear them. Most of my reps are comparable in accuracy to my gens. To be honest, most of my low end watches are, too.

Timex or Rolex, expect to be a few seconds off of the atomic clock at the end of a typical day.
It's not uncommon for gen Rolexes to run at 0.5-1s/day, if it's more than 2 you better get them checked.

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
It's not uncommon for gen Rolexes to run at 0.5-1s/day, if it's more than 2 you better get them checked.
Are you serious?

You planning on taking your gen in for service when it's +/- 2 seconds per day? Might as well just buy a new one every couple years, it would actually be cheaper, and it wouldn't be in the shop for a month every few months.

My car is rated for 20 mpg, I don't take it to the dealership when I'm only getting 19. I chalk it up to different conditions and leave it at that.

A mechanical watch is subject to changes in temperature, position, and even relative activity. When it's new, you can tune it to be +/- 0 seconds, on the bench, in a couple traditional positions, at room temperature. Take it to a different climate, temperature, altitude, even pressure and those things will slightly alter the way the parts interact with one another, and the viscosity of the fluids that lubricate it.

Cliff's Notes: Your Submariner isn't running at the same rate when you're ice diving vs when you're sitting on the beach. Your Explorer isn't running at the same rate while you're climbing Mt. Everest as it is when you're flying home. And your Daytona isn't running at the same rate when you're in the pits, timing a driver, as it would be while you're fighting for the pole position in the cockpit of a Formula 1 car.

Hell, you can tune an Asian 21J to be dead accurate on the bench, but that's not what you'll get in the real world, nearly ever.

If you absolutely need a watch to be perfect, get a digital watch, any digital watch, for $5 from AliX. Better yet, get one that synchs with a satellite, like a Garmin or Apple watch.

But expecting a rep, or even a gen, to be accurate to less than 2 seconds a day, every day, in the real world is absolutely unrealistic.

Last edited:

gym chan

Known Member
Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada
Are you serious?

You planning on taking your gen in for service when it's +/- 2 seconds per day? Might as well just buy a new one every couple years, it would actually be cheaper, and it wouldn't be in the shop for a month every few months.

My car is rated for 20 mpg, I don't take it to the dealership when I'm only getting 19. I chalk it up to different conditions and leave it at that.

A mechanical watch is subject to changes in temperature, position, and even relative activity. When it's new, you can tune it to be +/- 0 seconds, on the bench, in a couple traditional positions, at room temperature. Take it to a different climate, temperature, altitude, even pressure and those things will slightly alter the way the parts interact with one another, and the viscosity of the fluids that lubricate it.

Cliff's Notes: Your Submariner isn't running at the same rate when you're ice diving vs when you're sitting on the beach. Your Explorer isn't running at the same rate while you're climbing Mt. Everest as it is when you're flying home. And your Daytona isn't running at the same rate when you're in the pits, timing a driver, as it would be while you're fighting for the pole position in the cockpit of a Formula 1 car.

Hell, you can tune an Asian 21J to be dead accurate on the bench, but that's not what you'll get in the real world, nearly ever.

If you absolutely need a watch to be perfect, get a digital watch, any digital watch, for $5 from AliX. Better yet, get one that synchs with a satellite, like a Garmin or Apple watch.

But expecting a rep, or even a gen, to be accurate to less than 2 seconds a day, every day, in the real world is absolutely unrealistic.
My sub is 30 year old, even it runs at -1s/day on the wrist. It's been 7 years since its last service. Kinda weird you find that hard to believe, there's no need to move the goal post to digital watches. I enjoy my watches even more when it's well built, mechanical, good looking and running like a champ reliably for years on end at the same time.

Reactions: TagHeuerFan1963

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
My sub is 30 year old, even it runs at -1s/day on the wrist. It's been 7 years since its last service. Kinda weird you find that hard to believe, there's no need to move the goal post to digital watches. I enjoy my watches even more when it's well built, mechanical, good looking and running like a champ reliably for years on end at the same time.
It’s not that I don’t believe you, but you have to realize that your anecdotal evidence is an outlier, not the norm.

My car hasn’t been to the shop in several years, and sometimes it gets 21 mpg, but that’s all it is, anecdotal data.

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
-/+ 20s with good amplitude is more than enough in a watch, gen or rep

Never in my life, did I ever have to rely on a watch to be so accurate. When I needed to be, I had a big ass digital chronograph.

Also, most of us have a collection. I never wear the same watch two days in a row. Most of the time, the watches will get out of power and I will have to set the time.

Now, when a build is on the bench, I will try my best to get it under 6s/day…but that’s more of a personal challenge than anything. A TD watch? I don’t even bother to open it.

Reactions: dpd3672

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Don't know how is the current situation. I am looking at qc photos and in the last 2 weeks the steel_inox clasps are used again (were known for bracelet issues with endlinks). In last 2 months there were only correct ones on the qc photos (also no broken bracelet reports)...just my observation :)

That’s funny
It never crossed my mind to look at the inside of the clasp 😂

gym chan

Known Member
Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada
It’s not that I don’t believe you, but you have to realize that your anecdotal evidence is an outlier, not the norm.

My car hasn’t been to the shop in several years, and sometimes it gets 21 mpg, but that’s all it is, anecdotal data.
-/+ 20s with good amplitude is more than enough in a watch, gen or rep

Never in my life, did I ever have to rely on a watch to be so accurate. When I needed to be, I had a big ass digital chronograph.

Also, most of us have a collection. I never wear the same watch two days in a row. Most of the time, the watches will get out of power and I will have to set the time.

Now, when a build is on the bench, I will try my best to get it under 6s/day…but that’s more of a personal challenge than anything. A TD watch? I don’t even bother to open it.
I get you both. I was just saying that Rolex brags about their +/- 2s/d movement accuracy so much, any new owners can simply have their watches regulated for free over those 5 years warranty if they happen to deviate outside advertised specs. Only Rolex has the most accurate data, but I imagine, like any company, they prefer to do the least amount of warranty work possible.

Will most people care? nope but personally, I admire those extra r&d that went into a mech movement. Just like some people prefer mirror chamfers / Geneva stripes / blued screws on movement bridges.

Reactions: TagHeuerFan1963

Kup1712

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/1/21
That’s funny
It never crossed my mind to look at the inside of the clasp 😂
I always look, because 2 steel_inox bracelets broke and the correct one is working fine.

It was a fast change with all the reports about the failure from cf.

I am waiting now for correct batch to buy another 36 model. It's perfect for me (design, feel, sits amazing on my wrist).

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I always look, because 2 steel_inox bracelets broke and the correct one is working fine.

It was a fast change with all the reports about the failure from cf.

I am waiting now for correct batch to buy another 36 model. It's perfect for me (design, feel, sits amazing on my wrist).

You really need to try a 1016
I like the modern explorer, but the watch that wins in all my collection is the 1016

Biggest wrist time too

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I get you both. I was just saying that Rolex brags about their +/- 2s/d movement accuracy so much, any new owners can simply have their watches regulated for free over those 5 years warranty if they happen to deviate outside advertised specs. Only Rolex has the most accurate data, but I imagine, like any company, they prefer to do the least amount of warranty work possible.

Will most people care? nope but personally, I admire those extra r&d that went into a mech movement. Just like some people prefer mirror chamfers / Geneva stripes / blued screws on movement bridges.
Yes, but I don't think you understand what that 2 seconds per day actually means. It means that if you take it in for service, they'll put it on a scope and tweak it so the display says 2 seconds per day, probably in one position, face up, motionless, in the climate controlled workshop...heck, it's not hard to get it to 0 seconds per day, on the bench...with just about any well sorted watch, Rolex or not. Maybe they print out the result and hand it to you with your watch.

But as soon as you put it on, the watch starts to warm up to your body temperature. When you leave the store, on a chilly April morning, the outside face of the watch cools down. When you walk, the movement of your wrist makes it run a bit faster. When you drive to work, maybe it slows down a bit because it's now facing crown up with your hand on the steering wheel. Then you park the car and run to catch the elevator, which makes it run a bit fast again. Settled in at your desk, it's now face up while you type on the computer, then crown up while you take a phone call, etc, etc, etc.

At the end of the day, many of the differences cancel each other, and you may get +/- 2 seconds/day, on most days. Some days you'll gain 10 seconds, some days you'll lose 8. At the end of the month, you might wind up a minute off, which averages 2 seconds a day exactly,
My point, originally, was that the poster who expected 2 seconds a day from a rep was being unrealistic, and that kind of accuracy, even in a gen straight from the factory, is not really what the watch is doing. And while some may chase that perfection, it's really a waste of time and money, and will drive most to insanity or the poor house.

And I promise you that your 30 year old Sub, 7 years out of service, is almost certainly not running as well as you think it is. If you were to somehow keep it on a timegrapher for the next month, as you went through your day, you'd see variations all over the place, although it's quite possible that at the end of the month it winds up averaging 2 seconds a day. Some months it might be quite a bit faster or slower, however, based on a lot of factors mentioned above.

Andrew_watchlist

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/4/24
very usefull, what i noticed right away is the font is ever so slightly different on the font used for the rehaut. if you look at the number seven the gen has a slight curve to the upright where are the clean looks straight.