• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Experience perspective on completely opposite info from two highly respected TDs

RolAPBreitChop

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
19/5/23
Florida, US
Based on web and pics from two highly commended TDs, I bought an AP 24206 White Ceramic Chrono expecting white ceramic pushers and crown as per the multiple TDs web pics (like the gen).

Factory choices were: APF, APSF, and JF.
Per TD1's recommendation I went with APF.
QC pics arrive and reveal the pushers and crown are obviously not ceramic. They look gray and translucent. a buzz kill. Questioned if they were plastic and TD1 "confirmed with APF" they are NOT ceramic but indeed plastic.

Conferred with the TD2 and they said JF crown and pushers are ceramic, but JF are not available to order now.
TD2 then said APF are ceramic crown and pushers! (Would I like to order one?) I double-questioned TD2 and they "confirmed", "APF are ceramic".

So, TD1 and QC pic "confirms" crown and pushers from APF are plastic, yet TD2 "confirms" APF's are ceramic!?
Which one do I believe?

Potential courses of action:
1. TD1 says APSF are ceramic, but has not confirmed they can get APSF. If they can, I could get APSF from him, seems best outcome IF he can get it. (Hopefully a worthy rep)
2. Get a different watch from TD1, or a refund, and buy APF again from TD2 who contradicts TD1 and "confirms" APF IS ceramic.

At face value I'd believe TD1 because I got actual QC pics and they are plastic. The hesitation is: did he ACTUALLY source from APF or some other factory, so APF may have ceramic but that is not what he actually sourced, ergo the pic of plastic parts.

On the other hand, if I bail on TD1 and buy it (again) but from TD2, is TD2 actually wrong and will it end up the same?

The question:
Who do I believe? Both are highly commended Trusted Dealers, but they "confirm" the exact opposite answers about APF and ceramic vs. plastic.

(If it's okay to name the TDs and/or post the pic of the pushers and crown, let me know and I will. )

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
I’m not sure what AP you’re referring to but pics would be very helpful to illustrate what you mean

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
Ok after re-reading your post a couple times I’m gonna assume the watch you’re referring to is the 26402CE. In which case I think your best bet would be to post a WTB for JF in the sales section and wait for someone to reach out, and periodically check sales listings.

I’ve only ever handled 44mm ROO reps from JF and have no experience with APF or APSF reps of those models but JF were of really solid quality and worth the price imo.

Reactions: Specter1000

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Here a piece of advice. I don't use TDs as a source of information on what I am buying. I do that research here, and make it clear as to what watch , version etc I am ordering. Many times I'll take a snapshot from a webpage. It will save you a lot of back and forth. They are dealers, not counselors .
^^^^^^
same here....

Reactions: TESLA760

RolAPBreitChop

Supporter
19/5/23
Florida, US
I’m not sure what AP you’re referring to but pics would be very helpful to illustrate what you mean
FTR, I did not rely on TD1 for info. I did the research prior. See research photos and QC photo here. Clearly the buttons and crown are NOT white ceramic ... and TD1 confirmed this, they are plastic. Expected ceramic from TD1 as that is on his page and others at that price point. There are the $249 range, but I went with top dollar.

This is the TD1's web pic:

This is the QC pic:

This is TD2's web pic:

The crown and pushers material is clearly not the same as the case in the QC pic, but clearly nice bright white ceramic in the TDs' web pics. This is moot since TD1 acknowledges the pushers and crown on the QC watch are indeed plastic.

The question is TD1 says APF's are plastic and TD2 says they APF are ceramic, total contradiction. Which is true? Either TD2 will be proven wrong, or, TD1 did not source from APF and I caught it, and he is not being truthful about APF. Which should I believe. BOTH are highly regarded here.

In the spirit of our community and the value of "TD", I am NOT accusing TD1 of anything, AND I want to believe TD2. But who is right?

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
FTR, I did not rely on TD1 for info. I did the research prior. See research photos and QC photo here. Clearly the buttons and crown are NOT white ceramic ... and TD1 confirmed this, they are plastic. Expected ceramic from TD1 as that is on his page and others at that price point. There are the $249 range, but I went with top dollar.

This is the TD1's web pic:

This is the QC pic:

This is TD2's web pic:

The crown and pushers material is clearly not the same as the case in the QC pic, but clearly nice bright white ceramic in the TDs' web pics. This is moot since TD1 acknowledges the pushers and crown on the QC watch are indeed plastic.

The question is TD1 says APF's are plastic and TD2 says they APF are ceramic, total contradiction. Which is true? Either TD2 will be proven wrong, or, TD1 did not source from APF and I caught it, and he is not being truthful about APF. Which should I believe. BOTH are highly regarded here.

In the spirit of our community and the value of "TD", I am NOT accusing TD1 of anything, AND I want to believe TD2. But who is right?
Sometimes the factories change the parts they use in production without officially announcing a “new version”. I don’t think the TD was being purposely disingenuous, they all source from the same guys and make a healthy margin for providing what are essentially the same services so my advice is to just buy from whoever you like.

With regards to this specific model, I’d recommend again looking for a JF, but if that’s not possible then go ahead and try asking for an APS. If that doesn’t satisfy you your could always ask for a refund, no harm in trying if the dealer assured you that APS does indeed use ceramic pushers.

RolAPBreitChop

Supporter
19/5/23
Florida, US
Ok after re-reading your post a couple times I’m gonna assume the watch you’re referring to is the 26402CE. In which case I think your best bet would be to post a WTB for JF in the sales section and wait for someone to reach out, and periodically check sales listings.

I’ve only ever handled 44mm ROO reps from JF and have no experience with APF or APSF reps of those models but JF were of really solid quality and worth the price imo.
Do you mean JF as in J Factory? We can ping factories directly, NOT through a dealer? Didn't pick that nugget up anywhere in the mountain of reading. Thanks!! (BTW, for the right rep, I'd prefer genuine 7750, and would pay it, but understand no longer used in reps.)

RolAPBreitChop

Supporter
19/5/23
Florida, US
Sometimes the factories change the parts they use in production without officially announcing a “new version”. I don’t think the TD was being purposely disingenuous, they all source from the same guys and make a healthy margin for providing what are essentially the same services so my advice is to just buy from whoever you like.

With regards to this specific model, I’d recommend again looking for a JF, but if that’s not possible then go ahead and try asking for an APS. If that doesn’t satisfy you your could always ask for a refund, no harm in trying if the dealer assured you that APS does indeed use ceramic pushers.
Please let's be clear ... I am NOT stating or implying TD1 did or is doing anything nefarious. He has been responsive and took the time and confirmed the crown and pushers ARE plastic on the QC watch.

I simply don't understand how one very credible TD says APF are plastic and another very credible TD says APF are ceramic.

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
Do you mean JF as in J Factory? We can ping factories directly, NOT through a dealer? Didn't pick that nugget up anywhere in the mountain of reading. Thanks!! (BTW, for the right rep, I'd prefer genuine 7750, and would pay it, but understand no longer used in reps.)
Yeah, JF are the gold standard for ROO reps out of the box imo. No, you can’t directly buy from the factory, what I meant was that you could post a “Want to buy” request in the member sale section and see if anyone on here has one they wanna let go of.

Regarding a gen 7750, the rep is modified to have the running seconds counter at the 12 o’clock subdial as opposed the 9 o’clock on your typical gen, so long story short just stick with stock rep. Don’t play with the chronograph function though, that’s a recipe for disaster because the modified 7750 is notoriously unreliable when it comes to the chrono.

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
Please let's be clear ... I am NOT stating or implying TD1 did or is doing anything nefarious. He has been responsive and took the time and confirmed the crown and pushers ARE plastic on the QC watch.

I simply don't understand how one very credible TD says APF are plastic and another very credible TD says APF are ceramic.
First TD could’ve had outdated or mixed up information before receiving the watch in hand. Like I said it’s pretty common for factories to change the parts and manufacturing processes, it’s just part of the game and it’s a good thing you caught it

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Those pushers sure are a deal breaker :ROFLMAO:

20161223_110631_zpsg7pab2ua.jpg

RolAPBreitChop

Supporter
19/5/23
Florida, US
That watch is brilliant! It will be my first rep and I really hope to sort it out. Thanks!!

Blue accent on the band?

RolAPBreitChop

Supporter
19/5/23
Florida, US
This thread is about 2 TDs confirming disagreeing info on the same factory's product and which one to believe.

Below is a question to see if and where there may be a list of dealers' factories.

I posted this in a new thread and Mod closed it saying it belongs here. Seems off topic but happy to comply.
Man I hope this is a compliant question ...
Is there a List somewhere of which factories are carried by which TDs?
I read somewhere that, and I paraphrase, most TDs have access to most factories. However, it sure seems TDs have different factory/brand focus.
I looked and looked and didn't find one.

Do I have to go through each TD one by one to get sense of their focus?
I hope this is not spoon feeding 'cause I don't see this anywhere.

I have a particular watch in mind at the moment, of course, but would be useful for the Panda I want next, etc.
Thanks!

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I'm not sure where you're getting this information. I've never had an issue getting any version of a watch I want with the TDs I've used. I would confidently say this applies to 90% or high quality reps. If you're looking for a more obscure piece, there may be a TD that can find it. This is a business. They will be sourcing the most popular models faster.

RolAPBreitChop

Supporter
19/5/23
Florida, US
I'm not sure where you're getting this information. I've never had an issue getting any version of a watch I want with the TDs I've used. I would confidently say this applies to 90% or high quality reps. If you're looking for a more obscure piece, there may be a TD that can find it. This is a business. They will be sourcing the most popular models faster.
I don't understand, sorry? I have emails from the TDs and you saw the pics right? If you message me I'll share the names and emails if you want. Seems not advantageous yet to post them publically.

Just got an email from a third TD who's days JF is no longer in business.

I guess the 26402cb is (now) such a piece, at least with ceramic pushers and crown. I picked a beauty for my first. It'll make it even nicer if I end up getting it.

Thanks.

Last edited: