• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Don't Buy That DSSD Just Yet, Here's Another One: Deep Sea Dweller SS Blk Asia 3135..

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
Your sarcasm will not get me fired up if thats what you want. But seriously, dont you think you should rethink that?

We need to collectively as an organized group not let the dealers lie to us. And purchasing these watches just says we will buy anything they say is the ultimate. It appears they have already been screwing us over with cloned eta movements for longer then we really know. I didnt mean to come accross as a ass, cause Im not, ask anyone whos been on the board for while, I just hate seeing this BS. And people that buy it are just feeding the beast.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Your sarcasm will not get me fired up if thats what you want. But seriously, dont you think you should rethink that?...I just hate seeing this BS. And people that buy it are just feeding the beast.

No, I don't want to get anyone fired up, and I've posted much worse than you have in response to the same questions you've pointed out. I sometimes get a little perturbed when I think I know it all but don't. My last response to your insight was 98% acknowledgment that I need to spend even more time doing my research and 2% sarcasm. :p

From what I've been able to gather so far, the 3135 clone is an unnecessarily over-priced item that really serves no purpose. I haven't been able to find any posts yet comparing the quality of this movement Vs others so haven't a clue about it's true value. I've looked on all three forums and Google. Still looking though. I think because it's a newer movement, it might take a little more time to get some good feedback.

98% of me thanks you for taking the time to educate the rest of us
2% of me says... :notworthy:

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
I am not even close to being able to educate as well as others on this board, Ive just been around awhile and hate seeing people being taken.

I am assuming your bowing to me based on stories youve heard about me and my wife.

:)

;)

techlogik

16/7/09
The 3135 clone IS an Asian Swiss ETA copy...they just did some decorating and changed the color of two wheels.

The Asian ETA clone is about is good as ETA in Rolex's. They have a good history and operation, feel good with the crown and sweep very smooth.

I've had both...can't tell the difference really unless you crack the back off and get the loupe out and find the tells.

My problem is that they are charging Swiss ETA prices for the decorated Clone Asian version.....the price should only be $310-320 range with a Swiss option upgrade like normal. $378 for clone asian dressed up is bogus for sure.

Otherwise, the one Josh has now is probably the closest to Gen available. As I have said, ETZ has the best bezel insert with proper spacing at 10 and color. Source one of those and swap it with one like this...and you got yourself a winner.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
coop, yes, that's why I'm bowing... and in case anyone has any doubts, I have the photos to prove it. :) T4D, I'll take a look at that link when I get home from dinner...

techlogik

16/7/09
Don't think that watch is anything special to be honest looks like the normal DSSD they sell with a 3135.
I think this is as good if not better has latest dial with less glossy finish and correct shaped case back insert
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/rolex-dssd-same-factory-milguass-47086

Hey, wait...I have one ordered from you. I PM'd you about tracking info if you have it.

Yes, this looks like Josh's for a few bucks less...it is why I ordered it. Correct caseback, good crisp/straight dial, lume good, pearl good on bezel, escape valve ring properly aligned. My only problem is the 10 on the bezel insert is still wrong, it isn't spaced evenly, hence why I have a ETZ insert ordered, they have the spacing/color right. Lastly, Josh's is using 316F steel making it a little brighter looking like Gen, not sure if T4Direct is the same factory or not. Franken this baby...and hopefully the last one I have to order!!!!

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
coop, yes, that's why I'm bowing... and in case anyone has any doubts, I have the photos to prove it. :) T4D, I'll take a look at that link when I get home from dinner...

Nice avatar lable. Not really sure how I school'd you, but whatever. I made the comment about my wife and to be funny. I sense that some how in this thread I have annoyed you. If thats the case, I do apologize. I consider all the members friends and in my long stay here I wouldnt want to think I ever pissed anyone off, well, maybe TTK, but search some of his threads and you will see why.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Nice avatar lable. Not really sure how I school'd you, but whatever. I made the comment about my wife and to be funny. I sense that some how in this thread I have annoyed you. If thats the case, I do apologize. I consider all the members friends and in my long stay here I wouldnt want to think I ever pissed anyone off, well, maybe TTK, but search some of his threads and you will see why.

Wow! I was trying to be funny also, glad to see that things were going a different direction. My sense of humor is a little dry and often even throwing a smilie into the mix just doesn't get the right message across. Sorry, I'll keep my responses serious and to the point which will hopefully keep me out of trouble.

Don't think that watch is anything special to be honest looks like the normal DSSD they sell with a 3135.
I think this is as good if not better has latest dial with less glossy finish and correct shaped case back insert
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/rolex-dssd-same-factory-milguass-47086

I didn't see in your description whether it was 316F Steel or the duller 316L, can you clarify this? Also, I'd be interested in hearing your take on the 3135, especially as it relates to the quality and reliability as you understand it. If it has the better steel, then I'll be ordering one from you instead. :)

Edit to add that Joshua states:

Back : Solid case back with Titanium Seal, 2 piece Caseback

Are these really made of Titanium or are they painted?

Thanks for chiming in!

This is the response I got from Joshua regarding a different movement option:

[FONT=&quot]Hi ,
No sir.

The asian rolex clones is based on the asian eta.. with some of the top bridges remove and re make to shape like the rolex movt ..

Thanks
joshua [/FONT]

Time4Direct

Trusted Dealer (In Memoriam RIP)
Gold Patron
25/3/08
You don't see if it's 316L or 316F because without sending it to a laboratory for testing how on earth could you possibly know?
Because the factory will say yes to whatever you ask them
It is however slightly heavier than the normal ETA watch and this case set is only used for the 3135 watch so it may well be different but how it is different I don't know.
The shine thing is a white elephant any finish can be archived on any metal regardless of the quality just by selecting different grades of polishing compound.

The 3135 does seem to be very well finished but apart from a 2 anchor balance bridge all the other things are purely cosmetic so would have little or no effect on the longevity of this as opposed to the normal 2836.
Just as a matter of interest the 3135 movement does cost around 3 times as much to buy from factory than the standard 2836 movement

PeteM

Renowned Member
23/10/09
I agree with techlogik on this.

Though Also waiting for T.Number From T4D as well.

It would be interesting to know from T4D on metal used.

Only problem with the bezel order Techlogik is
that latest one from ET posted on other forum. I hope that's not what can be expected from ET!!!

techlogik

16/7/09
You don't see if it's 316L or 316F because without sending it to a laboratory for testing how on earth could you possibly know?
Because the factory will say yes to whatever you ask them
It is however slightly heavier than the normal ETA watch and this case set is only used for the 3135 watch so it may well be different but how it is different I don't know.
The shine thing is a white elephant any finish can be archived on any metal regardless of the quality just by selecting different grades of polishing compound.

The 3135 does seem to be very well finished but apart from a 2 anchor balance bridge all the other things are purely cosmetic so would have little or no effect on the longevity of this as opposed to the normal 2836.
Just as a matter of interest the 3135 movement does cost around 3 times as much to buy from factory than the standard 2836 movement

Good info, thanks for sharing that. Points all taken.

Guess we would need some metallurgy lab to determine the levels that are different in the L and F 316 steel: Carbon, Phosphorus, Sulfur and Molybdenum...the 316F should have higher levels by weight of these. The other elements are pretty much the same AISI standard. The 316F should have higher tensile and yield strengths.

But again, it would be a bugger to determine that without proper equipment.

Did you get my PM about tracking number for my order of the DSSD?

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Steel Comparisons: 316L Vs 316F Vs 914

I'd like to thank lanikai for taking the time to do these comparisons. To most people, this is something that probably doesn't matter much, let alone is something that can be discernible. For others like myself who spend a great deal of time working with subtleties in color and shading, color does make a big difference in the quest for finding a good replica.

With that said, I suppose I should preface this by pointing out that I only know what I've seen so far, and what others have said. The images below speak more to me about the differences in stainless steel coloring than reading the chemical differences- which I've done...

Take it away lanikai:

First here is the gen 914 next to the 316L... dull, dark and no sheen in comparison to the genuine

dssdreview137.jpg

Perfect Clones new DSSD 316F steel over the gen 914... focus viewing the links on the bracelet that are lite up...

dssdreview134.jpg

I tried to get the watches exactly in the same location for the next 2 images.. I had to do them obviously separate form each other. I could not get the different sized links to be placed exactly the same.. but close enough.

Gen 914

dssdreview130.jpg

Rep 316L

dssdreview131.jpg

Notice the difference.. same angle to reflect as much light as possible.. I even tried to manipulate the 316L on top to catch the most light.. it didn't help.. (316F on bottom)

dssdreview115.jpg

I traded places with the 316L just to illustrate that one is not getting more light than the other..notice the darker duller metal as the 316L

dssdreview124.jpg

The sheen even in low light is incredible now with the 316F steel

dssdreview074.jpg

dssdreview075.jpg

============================================================

Again, there may be some that don't see a difference or might claim that there isn't any way to tell one from the other but I'm convinced that there is enough of a difference to make it worthwhile to ask for the 316F version. Hope this helps someone in their quest.

Just a note: No labs were harmed in the making of this photo ensemble.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Just a note: No labs were harmed in the making of this photo ensemble.

Thinkbach you are a funny guy!!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
So the bottom line is the newer version has shinier steel? I can always use cape cod to reach that shine.

This is too much... I believe we are at DSSD v5.5 already :p

How about an MBW ? I always thought it uses a different kind of steel too.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
MBW is thinking about doing one, at least that's what I've been told...

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
MBW is thinking about doing one, at least that's what I've been told...

Now, MBW v1... OMG...it is driving crazy, that is the reason why i am deepsealess now, I had as many as 5 a few months ago.. :)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I think that the only fair comparision would be to take a link of each, sand 'em back to dull with 1200 W&D and polish both to as high a shine as possible. It's the finsih that dictates colour in this case.

From memory techlogik has a background in metal that goes a bit deeper than using a welder :)
He appears to agree.

This is the first time I've completely dissagreed with Lani but I think he got it, well, not wrong. Just that the method was somewhat flawed in that he was compareing apples with oranges due to the differing finishes on the watches.

Col.

PeteM

Renowned Member
23/10/09
There is more discussion nowadays regarding 316L and 316F as dealers start to sell more watches with 316F and at a heavier price to those with 316L.

I dont claim to be an expert but from my own reading I would suggest the following:

Their sales patter is that it is a shinier finish and closer to the 914 of the Rolex gens as other gen brands do also use 316L . I have seen it in a TAG close up for comparison and to be honest the difference wasn't significant to me. Certainly not a rep tell difference.

The dealers would have us believe the 316F does offer more of a gen look certainly on a brushed finish or bi-metal bracelet, it is however irrelevant as a finish on a polished bracelet.

From what I know the main differences in this case between the 316F and 316L is the carbon content, the 316F has a greater amount of carbon and therefore is more susceptible to corrosion from sweat and other contaminants such as Sea-water, however how long this would take to become evident on your watch is unclear, I would suggest longer than the realistic life of the watch.

Another big difference, certainly for the manufacturers is the cost, whether rolled, pressed, drawn, hot or cold manufactured the 316F is up to $1000 a ton cheaper than the 316L, not much on the scale of things but relevant non the less.

The main difference for the manufacturer is the machineability of the 316F it is much better to tool than the 316L and as a consequence it prolongs the life of the machine tools in the factory.

So apart from some of the minor and arguable benefits to the buyer of these watches with 316F I believe the biggest driver is the substantial savings to be made by the manufacturer. These are the main reason, I believe, we are seeing more of these different casings and bracelets and it is by way of a cost saving exercise by the manufacturers.

The idea to sell this new product at a higher price, maybe something the dealer has had to do because of increased supply cost?? However what better way to make someone think they are getting better quality than to charge them more!!!

Its a common marketing trick and one I am sure we have all fallen for at some time in our lives.

Therefore in my opinion there is little benefit in the new material relative to the higher buying cost. Certainly not when you consider a Dremel or Cape Cod cloth might easily acheive the same goal on 316L, that is to give the appearance of a gen.