• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Does anyone like vintage Patek?

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
I had an opportunity to buy a 1518 dial... It was not in perfect condition, however (apparent water damage and staining; some fairly significant scuffing on the surface (like someone's case knife slipped when removing the bezel) and a missing '2' on the 12:00 index), and the seller wanted $4k for it. But it was gen, none the less.

I would have considered it had the dial been in better shape.

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
dadog13 - Amazing ref 96! Black dials are rare, and your example looks to be in incredible condition! But beyond any dollar value is the sentimental... Having been passed down to you from your Grandfather and purchased as new... That is a true heirloom, and I hope that tradition continues on for generations to come!

In good health, sir!

tifasvr

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/11/14
I had an opportunity to buy a 1518 dial... It was not in perfect condition, however (apparent water damage and staining; some fairly significant scuffing on the surface (like someone's case knife slipped when removing the bezel) and a missing '2' on the 12:00 index), and the seller wanted $4k for it. But it was gen, none the less.

I would have considered it had the dial been in better shape.

That's pretty cool but 4k for a water damaged dial is not very attractive..

where do you usually source your dials?

Last edited:

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
The water staining was definitely a disappointment, but even worse was the surface scraping and the missing marker.

I will need to see if I still have a pic of it. I will post it if I do.

As for where I source my dials... I have done everything from purchasing partial inventory from watchmakers getting out of the business to obtain parts, to buying/trading from friends that come across things, as well as the occassional find on eBay or Chrono24 (though those instances are fewer and farther between).

It's amazing what some of these watchmakers have in their cabinets that they've forgotten about; especially the ones that have been in business for decades and never throw anything away. One of my friends has a local guy that has bags upon bags filled with 18k Oyster, Jubilee and President bands, just sitting in a dark corner of the safe. It's incredible to see! I asked what the plan was for all those gold bracelets, and the answer was a shoulder shrug.

Riverwind85

26/4/18
[mention]ubi [/mention] It is really a pleasure seeing you here, It was 10 years at lease I did not hear from you from RWG.
Your build are always amazing and this represent the real fun in this hobby, finding parts, informations and suppliers.
I am not doing a so vintage watch but I am building a Nautilus 3700, so far I found gen dial, hands, crystal, crown, movement (but with ap rotor for the moment) and 14 mm clasp if I can find a way to make a slim band. Using a MBW base for the moment. The worse part now is the too thick closed caseback, maybe the makers of your cases can help me in some way in your opinion?
Thanks and really amazing watches!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
[mention]ubi [/mention] It is really a pleasure seeing you here, It was 10 years at lease I did not hear from you from RWG.
Your build are always amazing and this represent the real fun in this hobby, finding parts, informations and suppliers.
I am not doing a so vintage watch but I am building a Nautilus 3700, so far I found gen dial, hands, crystal, crown, movement (but with ap rotor for the moment) and 14 mm clasp if I can find a way to make a slim band. Using a MBW base for the moment. The worse part now is the too thick closed caseback, maybe the makers of your cases can help me in some way in your opinion?
Thanks and really amazing watches!

There was a gen rotor for sale in M2M parts. I don't know if it will fit your build mate. But you've come far if you only need the bracelet and case!

Riverwind85

26/4/18
[mention]jm_brc_7057 [/mention] unfortunately that rotor was for a different movement, and I arrived late also for that...
Now I have a rotor from ap which is ok, waiting for a patek one to pop out

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Just checked the site. Thanks for the link. It's amazing. As i understand, he assembles a fully functional watch from aftermarket parts and custom made parts. Do you know the prices. And if any one has bought form him? Is he legit.

He is 100% legit mate, I’ve bought several Rolex parts from him (my gold 6265 has a Phong dual).

As for prices I can’t seem to get my login working on the site (can only see prices once you log in) but from memory they are around $20,000... yes, you did read that right!!

DC

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
He is 100% legit mate, I’ve bought several Rolex parts from him (my gold 6265 has a Phong dual).

As for prices I can’t seem to get my login working on the site (can only see prices once you log in) but from memory they are around $20,000... yes, you did read that right!!

DC

wow that’s a lot :/ I can only see the Patek 1479 which is 14800usd(!). I don’t quite understand how he make these. If it’s aftermarket parts, mixed with custom made cases and stuff and used parts he sources or how.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
wow that’s a lot :/ I can only see the Patek 1479 which is 14800usd(!). I don’t quite understand how he make these. If it’s aftermarket parts, mixed with custom made cases and stuff and used parts he sources or how.

I am also curious for a while now... Is there anyone out there who is reading this and might give a review on his process and final products? Lol

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
I am also curious for a while now... Is there anyone out there who is reading this and might give a review on his process and final products? Lol

As far as I understand it Jenson (aka Phong) is a watch-smith and makes the majority of the cases and dials himself. As far as the movements go I’d guess it’s a combination of self made and aftermarket parts with things like balance wheels etc sourced elsewhere. But he is a true artisan.

He’s been sued by the manufacturers (most notably Rolex) several times but he’s very careful not to deceive people and isn’t claiming any of his watches are genuine so they can’t touch him!

The largest part of his business is selling Rolex parts to gen owners, since Rolex won’t replace a lot of parts for vintage spec, they tend to want to stick brand new shiny parts on watches and most collectors don’t want that. He’s just offering an aftermarket service that they themselves don’t offer!

DC

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
As far as I understand it Jenson (aka Phong) is a watch-smith and makes the majority of the cases and dials himself. As far as the movements go I’d guess it’s a combination of self made and aftermarket parts with things like balance wheels etc sourced elsewhere. But he is a true artisan.

He’s been sued by the manufacturers (most notably Rolex) several times but he’s very careful not to deceive people and isn’t claiming any of his watches are genuine so they can’t touch him!

The largest part of his business is selling Rolex parts to gen owners, since Rolex won’t replace a lot of parts for vintage spec, they tend to want to stick brand new shiny parts on watches and most collectors don’t want that. He’s just offering an aftermarket service that they themselves don’t offer!

DC

Thanks for the insight mate. Sounds really interesting. I didn't know about him. It's a lot of money, but many of his pieces are unobtainable in gen. These are some of the most rare grail Pateks, notably the 1518 and 2499. But the others too are of great historic importance. And he recreates them beautifully judging from the pictures.

He also writes that he makes cases to fit gen parts and movements. As i understand it's possible if one can get a dial or movement to get him to make a case etc for it. It's really interesting.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17

DC

I knew about his Rolex vintage "past" and present but stumbled upon his Patek sector over a year ago from now... of course couldn't make myself up to ordering something this expensive without exactly knowing what i would receive...

Other story with his mainly covered Rolex profession proven also by many of our members here.

I understand that he is asking a premium and that is totally understandable and of course reasonable in relation to the result - nevertheless it would be such a blessing to see one of his builds in a well documented review in the manner of how the OP ubi just did.

In this regard i hope it is ok for you ubi to debate and talk a bit about this very aspect that you once re-birthed into our minds - Vintage (franken) Patek ;)

Last edited:

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
BIONONE - I am more than happy to discuss vintage PP! I know that Phong has some amazing pieces that he's done and the prices he is asking reflect that. To be able to recreate a lot of the parts and pieces necessary to complete the complications he's put together is quite a feat. That cannot be an easy task.

Dave88

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/6/21
Any updates on what you use the spare parts for? Did you build any others in the 3 years that have passed?

Reactions: BIONONE