• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you feel welcomed to RWI when this is your first impression?

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Thank you @Blackieray for sharing this. This is really saddening to read. I really hope it is an opinion held only among a minority of rep fans. I do not think RWI is toxic but then again my lens could be skewed as I spend so much time here and a lot of people are like family or close neighbours to me.

As staff on RWI we do our best to manage any toxicity we encounter and it is certainly not encouraged. Yes there are members on here that can take a joke too far but those guys will also tell you they have had the messages form the staff here to cease and desist. On such a large forum there is only so much voluntary staff can do, this is not an excuse for what may be considered toxic behaviour slipping past our attention. However we do rely on the membership to bring such unwelcoming threads to our attention.

There is also some misinformation on that Reddit thread that I would like to address. No TD pays a fee to be on RWI, some do not even cough up a rep watch for the raffle. All TDs are only here because they have proved themselves and respond to us when we need them to when settling members issues.

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
It really is sad. And quite the opposite of what I experienced here from day 1. I was welcomed, encouraged, directed always in a friendly way.
In Germany they have a saying, shout in the forest and you'll get back an echo. Not that it's always the case, but a high percentage of hostility is earned by those who have a hostile attitude in the first place.
I do not frequent Reddit, but as @C Master has pointed out, there's a lot of misinformation at play also, and from what I hear this is not unusual for that platform.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
I never felt that way when I came here.
Almost question I have asked has been answered with precision and I have learned a lot.

I think it's a question of mindset and culture. People here tend to connect well with those who are genuinely seeking to learn, whose are willing to experiment by themselves at their own cost.

There are some threads where a mob mentality sometimes creeps in, but I have seen the mods squash that quite fast.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
I'm posting this not to start shit, but it has been addressed and it is clearly leaking on to the web in general. I don't think RWI wants to be portrayed this way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RepTime/comments/17bhqiy
I felt fine when I joined earlier this year, probably because I've read enough before I made my first post and bought my first rep. But then the reason behind reading a lot here before doing anything is because I saw someone get roasted for asking undesirable questions. After a few months in the community, I started to understand why people incl myself are so upset by those "who make the best Sub" kind of questions because if you really be a nice guy, answer all those questions, you have to keep answering for indefinite and those who asked will simply come and go.

What we are doing now is at least closer to a foolproof community. Some might get upset because they can't get spoon-fed, I think it's ok as long as we won't go too far. Of course, this is only my honest opinion, not representing anyone here except myself.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I never felt that way when I came here.
When new people join and have the right mindset along with a sense of humor, it's always good. If you come here simply to ask for the "best sub" or to bash a TD, then things are different. I'm sure we have all seen how this has increased. I'd say that most members like logging on and seeing pics of watches, give feedback based off what we know and try to help where we can. But there is also the mentality of new members walking in and complaining. You don't walk into someone's home and redecorate it. There's a level of respect for the forum that should be expected. What is not seen are the endless number of new members that PM individual folks and ask for advice. I'm sure all of us here are more than willing to assist.

All that being said, Reddit is a cesspool that feeds the instant gratification crowd. Like @Tucker said, consider the source.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
I I started to understand why people incl myself are so upset by those "who make the best Sub" kind of questions
You still have not answered me though about that question.

Sad Drama GIF by VH1

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Why are we the ones to have to clear up a misunderstanding born from Reddit?

Reddit says it has no TDs and uses RWI/Repgeek list, doesn't make that clear, doesn't explain that GeekTime and some of the dealers listed are only on Repgeek and not RWI.....

Rodraid

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/9/23
I'm a new member and just got into this hobby, if you can call buying rep watches a hobby? I have spent a lot of time reading through different threads here and see some members do get pretty snarky when it isn't really necessary but this is the internet, what do you expect. I also see plenty of members being helpful. From a newbys perspective the issue is this forum has so much information it can be confusing and difficult to read through a thread that has 100+ pages, that's why you get some really basic questions. Especially when some of the most informative threads are quite old I really don't know what to make of them.

With that being said this is one of the most informative forums I have read. I have been through multiple hobbies and always find a forum on whatever I'm doing to get real world experience from people and will say this is probably one of the best.

Rod

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
I'm a new member and just got into this hobby, if you can call buying rep watches a hobby? I have spent a lot of time reading through different threads here and see some members do get pretty snarky when it isn't really necessary but this is the internet, what do you expect. I also see plenty of members being helpful. From a newbys perspective the issue is this forum has so much information it can be confusing and difficult to read through a thread that has 100+ pages, that's why you get some really basic questions. Especially when some of the most informative threads are quite old I really don't know what to make of them.

With that being said this is one of the most informative forums I have read. I have been through multiple hobbies and always find a forum on whatever I'm doing to get real world experience from people and will say this is probably one of the best.

Rod
You have walked the walk Rod not just talked the talk. If everyone was honest we all found it confusing at first and overwhelming with the amount of info contained here. I remember I was scared stiff to post in the Rolex forum for a few months. I was just in awe of the expertise there and did not want to come across as an idiot lol. I have veterans like @WingNut and @tommy_boy to thank for really looking out for me as a Noob. I only met @WingNut last month in person and we live five thousand miles from each other.

I stuck to Omega initially as that is what I came here to research and then got lost in RWI. Many times even now I see something I did not know but am really interested in. With six million posts it is impossible to read everything and you can find yourself sucked down a rabbit hole pretty quickly. However when you get good at it and know what you are doing you you will always find helpful members to guide you along the right path.

As @TESLA760 implied there are people who come on almost demanding answers to basic questions. Some do get offended when they do not get an instant answer and countless times they go off and bash RWI on another platform. They are not model citizens on the other platforms either. However RWI has a way with dealing with gimme gimme monsters that other fora do not. The reality from my perspective is RWI is actually a lot more welcoming than other platforms out there but it is reticent to welcome people who just bang on the door and shout really loudly, like someone else did four hours before.

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
I took a lot of BS when I first came here from a particular user who apparently got rubbed the wrong way by my neophyte questions. That's the way of the web and you've got to have a reasonably tough skin. But stick around and you'll be fine. Read the stickies and read through the threads that interest you. You too shall find your way, Grasshopper.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
And then there is this.

I think there is some perspective required when reading criticism on reddit.

I personally think the truth is in the middle somewhere, except for the dealers paying accusation. That's 100% false.

I do feel we have a problem and I despise the ultra quick dismissive "go read" or "do research". People who do that should just not comment and let someone who doesn't mind answering questions help the person. Why is this so hard.

And then this..

Thread 'Were you once a NOOB?' https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/were-you-once-a-noob.10818175/

Rodraid

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/9/23
You have walked the walk Rod not just talked the talk. If everyone was honest we all found it confusing at first and overwhelming with the amount of info contained here. I remember I was scared stiff to post in the Rolex forum for a few months. I was just in awe of the expertise there and did not want to come across as an idiot lol. I have veterans like @WingNut and @tommy_boy to thank for really looking out for me as a Noob. I only met @WingNut last month in person and we live five thousand miles from each other.

I stuck to Omega initially as that is what I came here to research and then got lost in RWI. Many times even now I see something I did not know but am really interested in. With six million posts it is impossible to read everything and you can find yourself sucked down a rabbit hole pretty quickly. However when you get good at it and know what you are doing you you will always find helpful members to guide you along the right path.

As @TESLA760 implied there are people who come on almost demanding answers to basic questions. Some do get offended when they do not get an instant answer and countless times they go off and bash RWI on another platform. They are not model citizens on the other platforms either. However RWI has a way with dealing with gimme gimme monsters that other fora do not. The reality from my perspective is RWI is actually a lot more welcoming than other platforms out there but it is reticent to welcome people who just bang on the door and shout really loudly, like someone else did four hours before.

I think another reason for the very basic questions is all newbys to rep watches have no clue, I guess when I say all I really mean me. Every single picture of a rep watch looks absolutely perfect to me and then people with more experience start pointing out flaws that I never would have caught.

We newbys just don't know how to evaluate a rep watch so are looking for guidance and most are impatient. I keep lurking around and reading threads and see what people are point out to learn but not sure my eyes will ever be as good as the more experienced people here. So when new members ask "what is the best......." it's because they know they can't figure it out. I'm sure if a new member hangs around long enough they can but the reason new members are here is because they are ready to purchase and patience is not there.

Rod