• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Diy lume

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Re: Diy lume Help needed

Come on experts, there must be someone who can help :shock:

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
I looked and read up a little on it.
it.. seems to be more of a let me pain this door nob kinda thing then a let me delicately paint this watch hand.
(then again there is some mention of watch hands...)
IDK.. just seems like if it were for things of that nature it would be advertised as such, not as "everything else and oh ya watch hands to. "

but... again.. it does say watch hands..so might work.
prob. guna have to try it and tell us all
:D

- Ex

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
Is it hard to lume a watch hand ?

Part of me feels it wouldn't be hard at all....
then again.. another part of me *looks scornfully at the part that believes it would be easy* and remembers how many times its thought that before....

- Ex

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
seventhexile said:
Is it hard to lume a watch hand ?

Part of me feels it wouldn't be hard at all....
then again.. another part of me *looks scornfully at the part that believes it would be easy* and remembers how many times its thought that before....

- Ex

The hardest part is getting the lume to flow correctly to bridge the gap. Also care has to be taken not to scratch the hands or of course bend them. The narrower the gap the better. I am no expert BTW. Takashi has really done some of his own work and should feel free to chime in if his time allows. :D

watchblog

21/12/07
I, personally wouldn't mess with the ebay stuff. If you're going to go through the trouble to re-lume a watch, you should get the best lume available.

Noctilumina sells a nice kit which includes most of the tools you'd need (unless you already have the tools). The only problem is that their lume isn't that great (good to practice with though).

Flav sells what he calls "Nitro Lume". I'm trying to confirm with him exactly which phosphorescent compound he's selling (where he buys it), but if it's what I think it is, it might be really good stuff (for a great price).

Tritec sells SuperLumiNova, but it's difficult to get and it's expensive (but it has fantastic performance).

UMC sells LumiNova which is just as good as SuperLumiNova (IMHO), but only comes in 3 colors and you have to purchase 2lb at a time.

Luming watch hands isn't that difficult. Lume them from the backside so you don't get lume all over the front of the hands. If you want them to glow even brighter, but a thin layer of white paint on the back side (that way the light gets reflected back out the front instead of toward the watch dial).

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
thanks for the reply's guys, the only reason i thought of this one was because of the price + it's in the uk. I think i'll give it ago & post on the outcome, i have a couple of Fmuller dials going spare that i can practice on, what i'm really wanting to do is better the lume on both my cartier pasha & gmt11c. But i think i'll have to also invest in a magnifing lens/light, & a good quality fine brush.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Do you have a link for the Noctilumina kit, the idea of a full kit interests me.
watchblog said:
I, personally wouldn't mess with the ebay stuff. If you're going to go through the trouble to re-lume a watch, you should get the best lume available.

Noctilumina sells a nice kit which includes most of the tools you'd need (unless you already have the tools). The only problem is that their lume isn't that great (good to practice with though).

Flav sells what he calls "Nitro Lume". I'm trying to confirm with him exactly which phosphorescent compound he's selling (where he buys it), but if it's what I think it is, it might be really good stuff (for a great price).

Tritec sells SuperLumiNova, but it's difficult to get and it's expensive (but it has fantastic performance).

UMC sells LumiNova which is just as good as SuperLumiNova (IMHO), but only comes in 3 colors and you have to purchase 2lb at a time.

Luming watch hands isn't that difficult. Lume them from the backside so you don't get lume all over the front of the hands. If you want them to glow even brighter, but a thin layer of white paint on the back side (that way the light gets reflected back out the front instead of toward the watch dial).

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Sharkey, do not get the paint, it is shiet! I got some as a freebee with an order. It's like fingernail polish with sand grains in it. Get the powder, mortar/pestle and binder if your going with gloinc.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Lol, cheers for the advise i'll give it a miss, was about to hit the buy button yesterday, but didn't want to till i'd had some feedback on the forum.
R2D4 said:
Sharkey, do not get the paint, it is shiet! I got some as a freebee with an order. It's like fingernail polish with sand grains in it. Get the powder, mortar/pestle and binder if your going with gloinc.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
cheers for the links, i'll maybe post in the wanted section for the noctilumina kit, maybe some in the eu will have one. thanks again

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
sharrkey said:
cheers for the links, i'll maybe post in the wanted section for the noctilumina kit, maybe some in the eu will have one. thanks again

I would have no reservations ordering direct and getting the kit from anywhere in the world. You don't want a used kit for sure. Just get a new one unless someone has a surplus new kit. Also pay particular attention to the Micron size.

simonsays

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/2/08
try this if your in the uk

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/7/0/1132.aspx

got a bergeon lume kit and have had a few "plays" with some broken watches and then a few reps. its actually not that hard . its all about getting the right consistancy. somewhere between single and double cream seems to be about right.

good luck

si

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Cheers Si, whats best for using to apply to the dial & hands

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Noctilumimina is ok. I bought it with a few extra binders and colors for about $50.00. I did some cheapo quartz watches that came out pretty good. Flav's stuff is the same he uses on his Lum Tec line and not sure of consistency but I figure it is the same as SL. The Burgeon stuff is crappy IMO, not great emission and consistency was difficult to achieve.

simonsays

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/2/08
sharrkey said:
Cheers Si, whats best for using to apply to the dial & hands

i got a bergeon kit (cant see it on the site now though) which came with a metal applicator which has a tiny spade shape at the end. just pick up the required amount .

si