• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Discussion: Homage Watches – What’s Your Take?

sanflex

Getting To Know The Place
12/3/24

Hey everyone,

Lately, I’ve been diving into the topic of homage watches, and I’m curious to hear the community’s opinions on this. There are a few points I’d like to get your thoughts on, and I’ve also outlined some pros and cons based on my own observations:

**Pros and Cons of Homage Watches:**
- **Pros:**
- **Affordability:** Homage watches often provide the look and feel of high-end models at a fraction of the cost.
- **Design Appreciation:** They allow watch enthusiasts to enjoy iconic designs without the hefty price tag.
- **No Legal Issues:** Unlike replicas, homage watches don’t violate trademarks, making them a legal and guilt-free alternative.

- **Cons:**
- **Lack of Originality:** Some argue that homage watches lack creativity since they are essentially copying another brand’s design.
- **Brand Loyalty:** Wearing an homage might feel like betraying the original brand’s craftsmanship and heritage.
- **Resale Value:** Homage watches generally don’t hold their value well, especially compared to gens.

**Quality:**
- **Compared to Reps:** Homage watches can sometimes surpass replicas in quality, especially when they use reliable movements and higher-grade materials. However, they might not reach the same level of accuracy in replicating the design down to the smallest details.
- **Compared to Gens:** Naturally, homage watches can’t compete with the quality of genuine watches in terms of movement precision, material finish, and overall craftsmanship. However, they often offer a surprising amount of quality for the price, making them a viable option for those on a budget.

**Societal Perspective:**
- **Perception:** There tends to be less stigma around wearing homage watches compared to replicas. Since they are not trying to deceive anyone by passing off as the real deal, they’re often seen as a more respectable choice.
- **Acceptance:** Homages are often more socially acceptable because they can be seen as a tribute to classic designs rather than a counterfeit attempt. However, some purists might still view them as lesser because they are not originals.

At the end of the day, I believe everyone should wear what makes them happy, whether it’s a gen, rep, or homage. But I’d love to hear your thoughts on the topic!

Looking forward to the discussion.

Reactions: Dave2302

Bearmarketrader

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/9/20
Never-Neverland

Hey everyone,

Lately, I’ve been diving into the topic of homage watches, and I’m curious to hear the community’s opinions on this. There are a few points I’d like to get your thoughts on, and I’ve also outlined some pros and cons based on my own observations:

**Pros and Cons of Homage Watches:**
- **Pros:**
- **Affordability:** Homage watches often provide the look and feel of high-end models at a fraction of the cost.
- **Design Appreciation:** They allow watch enthusiasts to enjoy iconic designs without the hefty price tag.
- **No Legal Issues:** Unlike replicas, homage watches don’t violate trademarks, making them a legal and guilt-free alternative.

- **Cons:**
- **Lack of Originality:** Some argue that homage watches lack creativity since they are essentially copying another brand’s design.
- **Brand Loyalty:** Wearing an homage might feel like betraying the original brand’s craftsmanship and heritage.
- **Resale Value:** Homage watches generally don’t hold their value well, especially compared to gens.

**Quality:**
- **Compared to Reps:** Homage watches can sometimes surpass replicas in quality, especially when they use reliable movements and higher-grade materials. However, they might not reach the same level of accuracy in replicating the design down to the smallest details.
- **Compared to Gens:** Naturally, homage watches can’t compete with the quality of genuine watches in terms of movement precision, material finish, and overall craftsmanship. However, they often offer a surprising amount of quality for the price, making them a viable option for those on a budget.

**Societal Perspective:**
- **Perception:** There tends to be less stigma around wearing homage watches compared to replicas. Since they are not trying to deceive anyone by passing off as the real deal, they’re often seen as a more respectable choice.
- **Acceptance:** Homages are often more socially acceptable because they can be seen as a tribute to classic designs rather than a counterfeit attempt. However, some purists might still view them as lesser because they are not originals.

At the end of the day, I believe everyone should wear what makes them happy, whether it’s a gen, rep, or homage. But I’d love to hear your thoughts on the topic!

Looking forward to the discussion.
I am with OP . I understand your points. However, to me, if one is happy with what they are wearing, then that's all that matters. If someone is offended and/or judgemental towards your wrist piece...well f them... that sounds like their problem. Should it be a homage, rep, gen or pocket watch....it's just a watch at the end of the day people shouldn't over think it.

Last edited:

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
**Perception:** There tends to be less stigma around wearing homage watches compared to replicas. Since they are not trying to deceive anyone by passing off as the real deal, they’re often seen as a more respectable choice.
True, but this brings up another embarrassment: someone knows what a gen looks like, comes to you and says "Hey, nice watch! Is it a Submariner?", and then you honestly tell him no. You can see from his eyes a full sentence "Oh shit, I thought you are better than that..."

Yes, I know, you don't care shit about how others think. But sometimes the real world doesn't work this way. In some offices, you have to care about things like this.

Thanks OP for the insightful analysis of homage watches. I also love them. I have 2 Steinhart myself.

RoXeW22

Supporter
Certified
27/6/22
I agree there is a place for homage watches, but I think it makes the most sense when it's about accessibility -- To me, homage watches based around long ago vintage watches (NOT neo-vintage Submariners) are the logical space. Or if they are a reimagining of said vintage watch.

Often, it's not about the price tag that puts it out of reach -- it's that there's only a handful of the real thing, and no one really has the means to get to it, even if they have a lot of money. Or the only existing copies were destroyed, or in bad shape etc.

The most visible homage company, in my mind, would be WMT, but my issue with them is the homage is too much like the thing it's trying to be. There's not enough imagination or concerted effort to make it close enough without feeling like it's just trying to be a recreation.

The only homages that I've come to truly appreciate on the market are either from Japan (Incipio, RXW / Ken Trading) or from microbrands (MKII, or Massena-ish--as much as I don't like the owner).

Ken Trading's Marina Militare Panerai Homage is still the perfect example to me. Take something vintage and make meaningful changes to make it different than a carbon copy (even though it got him sued and they had to shut down).

Reactions: KOT1917 and sanflex

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
I've used homage watches in the past to test pilot a reference to see if I like it enough to buy a more expensive rep or go all out on a gen.

Some are close enough in appearance to the real deal to suit that purpose. Not the finer details, obviously, but the overall aesthetics.

Pagani Design, for example. $100 tops and you have a pretty decently made homage of a Daytona, Explorer, Seamaster, etc. Quartz Seiko movement that'll run for years without any maintenance, other than a battery swap.

They're easy to buy and have delivered. And when you're done, they make a cool gift for someone who likes watches but isn't a totally obsessed WIS like many of us here.

Originality is a thing of the past in most cases. So many designs are a copy of something someone else already made. Or very heavily influenced. What's the difference, really?

Cool post and I like the list if observations.

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
The AliExpress style full on clomage watches from the likes of Pagani Design, San Martin etc are to me just bad fakes.
Rolex/Omega etc would win a court case again them for imitating their products.
This

And this

Are the same thing, a fake Daytona although IMHO the one that says Rolex on has some level of credibility because it's V1 Noob and thus is the first true Daytona rep, I believe all reps that predate it were at least partly non functional chronographs, frozen sub dials etc.
The other one is £50's worth of tat and will be in the bin with a flat battery soon enough.

You're no more or less likely to lose a hand to a machete weilding Estonian on a scooter while wandering through down town Soho wearing either of those than you are wearing £25k's worth of gen Daytona.

Something like the Christopher Ward GMT

That's a real homage, "we like this design, here's our version", not "you can't afford a real one, buy this instead 'cause it looks the same"

Last edited:

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
I like OP's post, I think many of us here have pondered this themselves. Personally when I lusted for a Rolex 5 digit sub I started with reps but as and when they broke I started to think about homages, better built, better movements, easier to sell and move on.... but the problem was, it was never quite what I wanted, ultimately it just didn't scratch the itch. It felt kinda cheap to wear a homage that was so close to the original but obviously wasn't.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed some very nice expensive homage watches... but then you tire and look for the next one to scratch the itch.... and for me they never did.

Ultimately I succumbed and bought a Gen and it did indeed scratch the itch... for a while!

I still have it but now have other reps of watches that I covet. Personally I would not buy homages any more, for me, it's Gen or Re, all be it a good quality rep that I can pull off with ease. I'd rather be that guy where someone may think... ooh nice watch he has rather than poor guy wants a gen but can't afford it!

I don't really give a s**t.... or do I ? 🤔

sanflex

12/3/24
I am with OP . I understand your ponts. However, to me, if one is happy with what they are wearing, then that's all that matters. If someone is offended and/or judgemental towards your wrist piece...well f them... that sounds like their problem. Should it be a homage, rep, gen or pocket watch....it's just a watch at the end of the day people shouldn't over think it.
Couldn’t agree more 👍

Reactions: Bearmarketrader

sanflex

12/3/24
I like OP's post, I think many of us here have pondered this themselves. Personally when I lusted for a Rolex 5 digit sub I started with reps but as and when they broke I started to think about homages, better built, better movements, easier to sell and move on.... but the problem was, it was never quite what I wanted, ultimately it just didn't scratch the itch. It felt kinda cheap to wear a homage that was so close to the original but obviously wasn't.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed some very nice expensive homage watches... but then you tire and look for the next one to scratch the itch.... and for me they never did.

Ultimately I succumbed and bought a Gen and it did indeed scratch the itch... for a while!

I still have it but now have other reps of watches that I covet. Personally I would not buy homages any more, for me, it's Gen or Re, all be it a good quality rep that I can pull off with ease. I'd rather be that guy where someone may think... ooh nice watch he has rather than poor guy wants a gen but can't afford it!

I don't really give a s**t.... or do I ? 🤔
Since I started getting more into watches, I haven’t been able to stop—gens, reps, homages, I’ve tried it all. I finally managed to get my dream gen, and wow, what a feeling that was. But after that, I found myself getting more reps again, and I had a conversation with my dad. He bought a Speedy back in the 80s for about €400 in today’s money. That got me thinking. The same watch that cost so little back then now goes for around €7,000? The same quality, the same watch, for more than 10 times the price?

I started losing a bit of the allure for these brands. Sure, part of the appeal is that they’re expensive, which makes them exclusive, and not everyone has a Rolex, Breitling, or Omega. But as someone who’s always sought a bit of down-to-earth simplicity—which might not be the right mindset in the watch world—there’s been a bitter aftertaste in how I view brands like Rolex and Omega. I started seeing them as flashy and not worth the price for the quality. And that’s definitely just my personal feeling, so I don’t mean to offend anyone. At the end of the day, everyone should wear what they aspire to and feel comfortable with.

For me, gens just don’t feel like the real deal anymore, if you know what I mean. A gen, to me, should be something the people can take joy in—a timepiece that carries history and technology that both tech and history enthusiasts can appreciate and especially can afford.

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
"Homage" is just another way the swiss/horology industry tries to shame watch brands and make them feel like they're "inauthentic" when in reality swiss brands have been copying from one another since the beginning of time.

sanflex

12/3/24
"Homage" is just another way the swiss/horology industry tries to shame watch brands and make them feel like they're "inauthentic" when in reality swiss brands have been copying from one another since the beginning of time.
I think you make a valid point. The term "homage" often carries a negative connotation, as if these watches are somehow less authentic or inferior. But the truth is, the watch industry has a long history of borrowing and building on each other's designs, even among the most prestigious brands. It's a bit ironic that the same industry that’s built on innovation and evolution would try to shame others for doing what they’ve been doing all along.

At the end of the day, an homage watch can offer a great blend of design, quality, and affordability, allowing more people to enjoy classic styles without the high price tag. If anything, it keeps the spirit of those iconic designs alive and accessible to a wider audience. And isn’t that what’s really important?

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
True to a degree but;

I challenge anyone to show me anything from a Swiss brand so blatantly a complete rip off of another companys product.

That's a fake Daytona without the branding.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
I allenge anyone to show me anything from a Swiss brand so blatantly a complete rip off of another companys product.

Look at Davosa, Steinhart, Ginault, Invicta, Stührling, Squale, San Martin. And that's just the Sub homages. Could go on for pages with other models. And brands.

Last edited:

sanflex

12/3/24
True to a degree but;

I challenge anyone to show me anything from a Swiss brand so blatantly a complete rip off of another companys product.

I’d argue that there have been several instances where Swiss brands have taken “inspiration” from each other. For example, the battle between Rolex and Omega over the Submariner and Seamaster designs shows how close some of these models can get. Also, take a look at how many brands have created their own versions of the Royal Oak or Nautilus since those designs became popular. The line between homage and rip-off can be quite thin, even among the top Swiss brands.

Anyways I like to accept your challenge ^^
here are a few specific examples of Swiss models that look almost identical:

1. Rolex Submariner vs. Tudor Submariner: Tudor, Rolex’s sister brand, released an almost identical Submariner in 1954, just with different branding and movement. Don’t know if that counts since it’s a sister brand.
2. Audemars Piguet Royal Oak vs. Patek Philippe Nautilus: Both designed by Gérald Genta, they look super similar, even though the Nautilus came out a few years later in 1976.
3. Omega Seamaster 300 vs. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms: Vintage versions. Both watches came out in the 50s and have extremely similar designs, especially the bezel and case.
4. Tag Heuer Monaco vs. Zenith El Primero Striking 10th: While not direct clones, both have square cases and similar chronograph layouts, inspired by the same era.
5. Breitling Navitimer vs. Zenith Chronomaster: Especially the early Chronomaster models from Zenith strongly resemble the Navitimer with their aviation themes and similar bezels.

Shows that even the big Swiss brands inspire or almost copy each other.

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
I'd argue inspiration is one thing and completely copying to sell an all but identical product at a far lower price is another.

Maybe I should have worded it better, of course there are Swiss watches that are still just copies of other watches.
But generally there is a difference, a Monta Ocean King is a true Submariner homage, everyone who has one really wants a Submariner, a Pagani Design PD-1639 is just a cheap rip off.

F.Romano

Do not accept unsolicited offers
30/9/23
Italy
I don’t think I would ever buy a homage over a rep. Both are suggestive of the real thing, the difference is that a rep is better at doing it.
This.
All the "clone" homages I had felt like a bad replica. It's like replicating a Louis Vuitton (or any other fashion brand) cheaply by misreporting its name.