• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal printed dial

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
ATTENTION:
Any dial makers in here interested in doing some commission work?

I want to build a small rose ranger. I have a yuki dial shield ranger but its not cutting it lately. Please dm me to discuss details.

Tudor Ranger Vintage Rose Dial - The Rolex Area - RWG

I'd be glad to but I still need to get a good pad-printer ... I bought one but it was crap :(

Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I'd be glad to but I still need to get a good pad-printer ... I bought one but it was crap :(

could you not create it with your current processes? I am patient. I had 2 other people who were interested in making them but they have since disappeared...

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
could you not create it with your current processes? I am patient. I had 2 other people who were interested in making them but they have since disappeared...
I'd like to but the problem is :
1 - the processes I use ... at the moment ... are great as long as you print black on gold/silver/orange/yellow/green/any colour ...
2 - the Tudor rose ranger dial you want is printed white on black ...

I already have mimicked "white on black" printing on some dials I made but the white parts have no 3D effect/ thickness at all ... they are flat.
Some look really good but they can't stand a close inspection.

To illustrate ... below is a pic of some Doxa dials and handsets I've made for a customer.
The "sharkistador" dial (sharkhunter renamed conquistador) on the left is printed black on white.
The printing could be much more clean (the future owner asked me to deliberately age that dial "stressed") but there can't be any thickness ... everything is flat.

4b77251d7cf26872309415b9a4ab0fe7.jpg

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I'd like to but the problem is :

4b77251d7cf26872309415b9a4ab0fe7.jpg

Those dials look good I do like the texture of the black dial I think it would be suitable for a rose ranger. I understand what you are meaning about the crispness of next and how it should look applied on top of instead of negative relief

This is where we had left off. They were decal dials that he was doing.
Now after studying the file it needs further adjustment.
one aspect that I noticed that need correcting is the numerals. they need to be 10-15% bigger as they are larger than the 369 on an explorer

I think I would be fine with a black over white dial that you had done as long as the text is crisp... embossed be next level but I am an easy guy to please.

Gen:

As you'll notice that the minute markers are gilt and the text is printed I believe these were the earliest of examples.

I would be fine with all printed white text

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada

This is a better picture that illustrates the size difference between ranger and explorer in 369

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
369mafia ... thanks for those close-up pics
I'll think about you and that dial as soon as I have some free time ... I still need 2 or 3 weeks to finish some dials and builds
I'll PM you ...
I had noticed about the negative gilt minutes markers on the earliest Rose Rangers and I really think it could be possible to make such a dial ... as long as you don't mind about the "flat" white writings of course

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
manodeoro Sounds good my friend... I will await your message. I look fwd to working with you on these..
cheers

jamiex

25/7/09
Yorkshire
2 layers for Doxas
3 layers for Gilts ... sometimes more ... it depends on the design

Thanks mate, it’s the gilt I’m interested in. Do you alter the size of the non printed bits to a little larger to allow for some wiggle room when stacking them?

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
This thread has always been on the back of my mind and I kept trying to see if there were other ways to create a negative gilt dial. Had a lightning bolt moment and reached out to a wedding printer on etsy to see if they would print the rolex 6538 image on gold foil. They agreed and here is the "stickers". It is super shiny, negative relief, and a darker black than my printer could print. I'll get around this week to putting one on a dial and
lacuqering it up.

ZtiuUS.jpg

Dan71

Renowned Member
24/4/15
Italy
This thread has always been on the back of my mind and I kept trying to see if there were other ways to create a negative gilt dial. Had a lightning bolt moment and reached out to a wedding printer on etsy to see if they would print the rolex 6538 image on gold foil. They agreed and here is the "stickers". It is super shiny, negative relief, and a darker black than my printer could print. I'll get around this week to putting one on a dial and
lacuqering it up.

ZtiuUS.jpg

So there is a store on Etsy that make this custom dial ?
Seem the gold plate is bigger that the dial print how do you think to cut it ?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks mate, it’s the gilt I’m interested in. Do you alter the size of the non printed bits to a little larger to allow for some wiggle room when stacking them?

A tiny bit of a mm larger but YES

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
lacuqering it up.

ZtiuUS.jpg

Did a test dial, I sanded too roughly it looks like when trying to polish the lacquer. I like the potential of this gold foil decal. Now just gotta figure out how to lume properly...I suck

ZBL5O4.jpg

ZBLWJc.jpg

ZBLUkI.jpg

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Speaking of polishing, what are your guys go to method for sanding then polishing? Like how do you apply the appropriate amount of pressure to the dial?