• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona movement confusion

Mercatino

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/24
You can find them on AliExpress.
Thank you for reply. Soon to purchase Clean 116520 and wonder if I should buy
a spare movement. Also, would it be a good idea to immediately service OOTB?
Can a movement be cleaned and oiled without disassembly? BTW: your movement
thread could be a masters thesis.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
You can find them on AliExpress.
If not Aliexpress, try Alibaba.

Sillan (guangzhou) Watch Co., Ltd. has one here .

It says min order of two movements. Contact them and they’ll usually give you a price for one. I’ve bought many watch items from them and they’ve always delivered exactly as represented.

Mercatino

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/24
If not Aliexpress, try Alibaba.

Sillan (guangzhou) Watch Co., Ltd. has one here .

It says min order of two movements. Contact them and they’ll usually give you a price for one. I’ve bought many watch items from them and they’ve always delivered exactly as represented.
Thanks. Is having a spare movement a good idea, or just silly?

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
DE
Thank you for reply. Soon to purchase Clean 116520 and wonder if I should buy
a spare movement. Also, would it be a good idea to immediately service OOTB?
Can a movement be cleaned and oiled without disassembly? BTW: your movement
thread could be a masters thesis.
No, but you can pay the watchmaker to do it for you if you really love the movement.

Thanks. Is having a spare movement a good idea, or just silly?
Not necessary if you service it in a timely manner.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
DE
When talking about "service" is this always a compete disassembly and
is there a fixed timeline like a 12 months/12,000 mile oil change?
Yes, a full service always requires a complete disassembly of the movement. Generally speaking without knowing the details, a movement should have a full service every 5 years. Some movements, like the gen Rolex movements, can last for longer without an overhaul/full service.

wildkid

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/3/24
SEA & CONUS
I’m curious (and very ootl on Daytona past Noob 2.2..), has anyone compared Noob 4130 to recent Clean 4130?

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Yes, a full service always requires a complete disassembly of the movement. Generally speaking without knowing the details, a movement should have a full service every 5 years. Some movements, like the gen Rolex movements, can last for longer without an overhaul/full service.

Some of the rep watches come with dry movements, some with over-lubricated movements, and some are actually in great shape. Lack of strict quality control is one reason why they cost so much less. Therefore it’s impossible to come up with a rule for when it’s time to service a rep.

Sometimes it’s obvious your watch movement needs a little love: water, your watch stops, it’s not keeping accurate time, or it starts running backwards 😱.

Other times, you’ll be aware of more subtle things like your watch isn’t winding as smoothly as it should. If you pay attention and learn to read a timegrapher, your watch will tell you when it’s time for servicing.

The open source tg timegrapher for your PC is excellent and you can pick up a watch microphone for very little on Aliexpress. The phone timegraphers are not as good but they are convenient and they are better than nothing.

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
Wow, not a cheap movement. I hope they can be fairly easily serviced instead of maybe having to replace the whole thing if it starts to act up or breaks.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
DE
Wow, not a cheap movement. I hope they can be fairly easily serviced instead of maybe having to replace the whole thing if it starts to act up or breaks.
Easy depends on who does the service. For a watchmaker, perhaps. For a hobbyist, it won't be easy compared with servicing a 6497
or 2824 since 4130 is a chrono.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Easy depends on who does the service. For a watchmaker, perhaps. For a hobbyist, it won't be easy compared with servicing a 6497
or 2824 since 4130 is a chrono.
Agreed. While the 4130 is a joy to service, it’s not trivial and there are a few very fiddly & delicate procedures involved in the service (eg the chronograph minute counter jumper spring). In general a chronograph service costs about 50% more than a more standard movement like a 3135 or a 2824.

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
I have one on the way so I better be prepared. I also have a 7750 that only needed a barrel. I got lucky on that one I suppose

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
DE
I’m curious (and very ootl on Daytona past Noob 2.2..), has anyone compared Noob 4130 to recent Clean 4130?
I think there are some quite detailed threads not only comparing but with photos side by side for Noob, CLean and BT, if you ever bother to look for them. And BTW, those 3 are with the same movement, by 4130 I think you mean 116500? Because nothing really to compare with the 4130 movement, they are all from the same vendor.

wildkid

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/3/24
SEA & CONUS
I think there are some quite detailed threads not only comparing but with photos side by side for Noob, CLean and BT, if you ever bother to look for them. And BTW, those 3 are with the same movement, by 4130 I think you mean 116500? Because nothing really to compare with the 4130 movement, they are all from the same vendor.
Yeah 4130 on 116500. So they are all from the same Dandong (DD)? Not sure why I was under the impression each (Noob, Clean and BT) had/has their own DD4130 supply.

The threads you mentioned looked closely into the external bits and bobs between those rep versions if I recall correctly.