• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona movement confusion

bobjohnson

Horology Curious
12/1/24
I am new here, so forgive my ignorance, but I have the same exact question as razor907, and I appreciate his willingness to ask it. I have looked at all the TD websites (and some non-TD websites) and I can find lots of Daytonas with 3140 movements, but they are all labeled SA or SH. I cannot find one that is labeled DD. I know that it can be tough to get a straight answer here sometimes, but where can I find a clean or BTF Daytona with a DD movement?

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I am new here, so forgive my ignorance, but I have the same exact question as razor907, and I appreciate his willingness to ask it. I have looked at all the TD websites (and some non-TD websites) and I can find lots of Daytonas with 3140 movements, but they are all labeled SA or SH. I cannot find one that is labeled DD. I know that it can be tough to get a straight answer here sometimes, but where can I find a clean or BTF Daytona with a DD movement?
Welcome.

You must mean “4130”. The best sources for the watches you are asking for can be found in the forum here that is dedicated to the Trusted Rep Dealers (aka TDs).

bobjohnson

Horology Curious
12/1/24
Welcome.

You must mean “4130”. The best sources for the watches you are asking for can be found in the forum here that is dedicated to the Trusted Rep Dealers (aka TDs).
I do mean 4130. My mistake. I looked at all the websites that are available from TDs and none list the DD movement. They all seem to have SA or SH movements. Thoughts?

repgirl

Horology Curious
6/8/22
I do mean 4130. My mistake. I looked at all the websites that are available from TDs and none list the DD movement. They all seem to have SA or SH movements. Thoughts?
Naming is a mess. Get a Daytona from Clean or BTF and you will get a DD4130 inside.

Reactions: Slugger

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
DE
Hello all, I have been doing quite a bit of research in preparation for a Daytona purchase. Thru my research, I thought I had it nailed down that the DD4130 movement was the preferred movement. I based this on the stickied post in this section titled "Comprehensive Guide to Clone Movements found in Rolex Reps".

I started correspondence with a TD & was quite surprised by the TD's reply to my inquiry.

Quoted below is my inquiry & the TD's response.

ME
"Hello,
Looking for a stainless Daytona with a DD4130 movement. Black or white dial & a black ceramic bezel, prefer a stainless bracelet but would be willing to entertain an Oysterflex."

TD's response
"Why do you want that movement in the watch?

And as far as the 4130 "clone" movement, that movement is a terrible movement. It is not a matter of if it will die, it is a matter of when. It's an unstable and expensive movement. My conjecture is that these watches are sealed. No one can see the movement. What can be seen is if it keeps good time, has a nice sweep, and is it reliable. And if you think an expert will open one of these watches and mistake a rep clone movement for the GEN movement, guess again. The copy movement will not fool any expert. I have tried the watches with those movements, and every single one I tried ended up dead pretty quickly. I had my repair guy look at them, and he cannot get the parts for them. There is no "standard" 4130 movement, and each different one takes different parts, so finding the parts is a guessing game."

This left me scratching my head & doing more research.

Looking for guidance on where I went wrong thinking the DD4130 was the best/better choice.

What say you?
Ask for a Clean Daytona, whether 116520 or 116500, you won't regret it.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
I've written a guide with annotated images that allow you to identify every rolex clone movement. Do not trust what is written on TD websites. Learn to ID movements by looking at the features that I have marked in the guide. It might seem hard at first, but once you know what to look for (the position and style of the arms on the balance bridge) it becomes trivial to ID a movement at a glance.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Also…don’t forget the M2M Rep Watch Trade forum.

Considering you are new at this game, the benefits of buying from a knowledgeable rep seller who has previously QC’d a watch is compelling.

The opportunity to avoid significant shipping costs, customs risk, exchange rates, and such should also not be overlooked. My recommendation is buy your first watch from an RWI seller.

dreptroman

Known Member
Patron
Certified
6/2/23
Engravia
and Ctime was running a 70USd off promotion for Clean DD4130. Chazings’ is over but was 25%.

bobjohnson

Horology Curious
12/1/24
I've written a guide with annotated images that allow you to identify every rolex clone movement. Do not trust what is written on TD websites. Learn to ID movements by looking at the features that I have marked in the guide. It might seem hard at first, but once you know what to look for (the position and style of the arms on the balance bridge) it becomes trivial to ID a movement at a glance.

Your guide is awesome and that is what lead me down this rabbit hole. Looking at your guide and looking at the images posted on the TD websites it is clear that most of the advertised clean daytonas have non-dd movements in them. I guess the only answer is as stated by others to confirm in qc that it has the dd movement. Thank you, your guide is awesome and incredibly helpful!

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Your guide is awesome and that is what lead me down this rabbit hole. Looking at your guide and looking at the images posted on the TD websites it is clear that most of the advertised clean daytonas have non-dd movements in them. I guess the only answer is as stated by others to confirm in qc that it has the dd movement. Thank you, your guide is awesome and incredibly helpful!
Clean Daytonas (1165xx series) should all have DD4130 movements. The identification features of the DD4130 movement in the guide aren’t as clearly market as those for other movements because at the time I initially wrote the guide there was only the dd4130 and the 7750 movement available for Daytonas. It’s easy to tell a dd4130 from a 7750. But now it’s becoming a little harder to ID the dd4130 because the sh4130 looks similar. But the key difference is the sh4130 has a fake hairspring stud on the balance bridge that faces outwards (and has its beat adjustor and regulator facing inwards). The DD4130 doesn’t have the fake hairspring stud and has its beat adjustor and regulator facing outwards.

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
But the ”DD” i belive is just a forum name for the movment. I belive the real name is SA4130. If i remember correct :). It was NOOB who started to use this movment and they called it SA4130.

Last edited:

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
But the ”DD” i belive is just a forum name for the movment. I belive the real name is SA4130. If i remember correct :). It was NOOB who started to use this movment and they called it SA4130.
Yes, DD is a forum / western name for the Dandong 4130 which was originally used by noob. The problem is that “SA” just means “super Asian” and sone of the slim 7750 movements were labeled as SA4130. The DD prefix is less ambiguous at the cost of being less universal. However some of the better TDs (eg @CTime ) have been good about using the DD prefix to identify movements like the DD3285 and DD4130.

As I wrote in the “naming conventions” section of my guide (linked above), movement names are a shit show. Don’t rely on what’s written on a website. Learn to ID movements based on the labeled pictures provided in the guide.

I have a strong preference for labeling movements with a prefix from their manufacturer, eg SH for Shanghai movement factory, DD for Dangdong, and HZ for Hangzhou. But there is the complication of there being multiple movement factories in Shanghai: “Shanghai watch factory”, “Shanghai Jinghe industrial Co.”, and “Shanghai ZuanShi watch factory”.

My understanding is that the movements we call often prefix with VR or SH (eg the vr3135, vr3235, sh3285, sh4130) all come from the Shanghai Jinghe industrial Co. but I could be wrong. Perhaps @CTime can set the record straight.

bobjohnson

Horology Curious
12/1/24
Thank you Tompa and Dogwood. I think in this whole thread the info that was missing is "the ”DD” i belive is just a forum name for the movment. I belive the real name is SA4130. If i remember correct :). It was NOOB who started to use this movment and they called it SA4130.". I think that if that info was added to Dogwood's guide in the DD4130 section it would help prevent noobs like myself and razor getting confused. Thank you again!

Zeta7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23
@dogwood comprehensive guide is priceless information when purchasing reps. Once armed with that knowledge you can buy with confidence. Like he’s mentioned, movement names are a mess and be careful trusting advertisements.

Reactions: Slugger and dogwood

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
@dogwood comprehensive guide is priceless information when purchasing reps. Once armed with that knowledge you can buy with confidence. Like he’s mentioned, movement names are a mess and be careful trusting advertisements.
You have come a long way in only a few short months. A lot of fresh faces arrive here mistaken in their belief that others will do their work so they don’t have to.

However, the path to learning is not one that should be delegated to others. The information is here, the advice is here too; but what comes of it is ultimately up to the seeker of knowledge.

To quote the philosophy of my mentor in surgery, “watch one, do one, and teach one.”

Reactions: Zeta7 and dogwood

Zeta7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23
You have come a long way in only a few short months. A lot of fresh faces arrive here mistaken in their belief that others will do their work so they don’t have to.

However, the path to learning is not one that should be delegated to others. The information is here, the advice is here too; but what comes of it is ultimately up to the seeker of knowledge.

To quote the philosophy of my mentor in surgery, “watch one, do one, and teach one.”
I’m older and still learning my way around here but the amount of good solid information is unbelievable. RWI is a real treasure trove, and it’s guys like you that’s helped make it what it is.
So many people just want a quick answer but if they’d slow down they’d see “ it’s not the destination but the journey” that makes these things worthwhile.

CTime

Renowned Member
Trusted Dealer
29/9/22
Guangzhou, China
Yes, DD is a forum / western name for the Dandong 4130 which was originally used by noob. The problem is that “SA” just means “super Asian” and sone of the slim 7750 movements were labeled as SA4130. The DD prefix is less ambiguous at the cost of being less universal. However some of the better TDs (eg @CTime ) have been good about using the DD prefix to identify movements like the DD3285 and DD4130.

As I wrote in the “naming conventions” section of my guide (linked above), movement names are a shit show. Don’t rely on what’s written on a website. Learn to ID movements based on the labeled pictures provided in the guide.

I have a strong preference for labeling movements with a prefix from their manufacturer, eg SH for Shanghai movement factory, DD for Dangdong, and HZ for Hangzhou. But there is the complication of there being multiple movement factories in Shanghai: “Shanghai watch factory”, “Shanghai Jinghe industrial Co.”, and “Shanghai ZuanShi watch factory”.

My understanding is that the movements we call often prefix with VR or SH (eg the vr3135, vr3235, sh3285, sh4130) all come from the Shanghai Jinghe industrial Co. but I could be wrong. Perhaps @CTime can set the record straight.
I'm not sure about SH ZhuanShi factory, what we called SH/VR 3255 and 3285 are from Shanghai watch factory (or say Shanghai BiaoYe in Chinese), most SH/VR movement are from Jinghe recently, BiaoYe's movement is not so stable because they aim for lower market.

CTime

Renowned Member
Trusted Dealer
29/9/22
Guangzhou, China
I'm not sure about SH ZhuanShi factory, what we called SH/VR 3255 and 3285 are from Shanghai watch factory (or say Shanghai BiaoYe in Chinese), most SH/VR movement are from Jinghe recently, BiaoYe's movement is not so stable because they aim for lower market.
Oh and BiaoYe has made 8800(modified 2824), 7750, 3135, 3187 etc. they are probably the lowest tier of Asian movements.
I searched Shanghai Diamond factory and they probably made 7750 before, they are not so active in replica industry recently.

Mercatino

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/24
Is it possible to buy DD4130 movement? Do any TD sell movements only?