• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Customs Problem Hont! Help

Whichwatch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/9/09
Kemix said:
Thanks for all your replies people! Hont is sorting me out with another watch, I am not going to sign the Rolex document judging by most of your opinions. :|

I think thats the right choice. Let us know the outcome wont you ?

jad648

25/8/09
Don't know the law in the UK, but in the US, the first thing Rolex would need to do to take any kind of action against the recipient would be to prove that the recipient knew and purposely ordered a Rolex counterfeit. That's very difficult, if not impossible to do without cooperation from the recipient or the seller. Can Rolex prove that you didn't order a sample of a similar watch named Talex, which is made by a small Chinese company and the seller's employee confused it with the word Rolex because of language issues or a spelling error? Not a chance. In that case, how would you even know that the seller has shipped a counterfeit Rolex to you? The burden is on Rolex to prove their case, not on you. Companies use strong arm tactics to get people to talk and admit stuff. They use language that makes their own internal policy sound like the law. Don't play their game and don't even acknowledge receiving the letter unless it was sent via certified mail and you signed for it personally. Of course, if you are importing an entire box full of replicas to resell, you'll be violating federal law in the US and your troubles are completely different and not necessarily only with Rolex.

Besides, will Rolex be able to prove that you even ordered the watch or had knowledge it was being shipped to you unless you or the seller confirm it? Not really and you can't be sued if a third party sends you a gift that you don't even know about.

Spboudart

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/9/08
Yannou said:
Never signed anything...Did you receive the paper with a signature/receipt ?...If it's a standard courrier, you have never received it...that's all...
+1

terenceseeto

Known Member
6/9/09
lol what a long thread. is the law same in australia. aparently theyll fine you 2x the price of the real item in italy.

Jb boin

Known Member
9/7/07
Here in France, most of the times, if they seize a package they just destroy it and dont even bother contact you, maybe if there are several items on the package or if you are unlucky but i got 2 parcel takens on about 2 months with ~300€ of clothes and shoes on it and i had to check the parcel tracking to know that they got it :(

jsnap

28/9/09
I cant beleive the little bastard up the block did it again that little son of a ***** he orders things and sends them to the nieghbors address so his mother wont find out and then he waites for the mailman and takes them out of the box. OOH Im so pissed im going to have to give him a hop in the hole

beachcat

Known Member
30/7/09
you would be amazed at how much money a company like Rolex would spend on such an issue. They and all the other high end luxury brands are freaking out at the quality and volume of these super replicas.

The brand gets creamed due to the new attitude of gen buyers

They think "I don't want a Daytona for 10 grand when most people are getting them for 300 bucks and everyone suspects a knock off anyway."

It's a total nightmare for these luxury brands.......the kiss of death for an *image based* product...........fueled by exclusvity & snob appeal

Now where can I get the best Ulysee Nardin ??
Ya gotta love it.

jad648

25/8/09
Beachcat: How much money do you think Rolex would spend pursuing a single buyer? And, what if that single buyer has not even received the pakcage and they cannot even prove that he knows about it? I know that brand names like to flex muscle, but not in a case where a package is stopped at customs and the customer has not even received the item. If you are a dealer and you're buying large quantities, that's a whole different story, but that isn't the case posted in this thread. And, I question how serious some of these big corporate giants are when it comes to pursuing replicas.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Kemix,

Did you hear from Rolex again or did the seized watch ever show up?

What bad luck for for an 11 post guy, wow.

crucifudge

17/10/09
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but Rolex might be more likely to follow through then you think. Sure, it might cost them 30 quid to get this distroyed, but the idea is that once enough are distroyed it sends a message, even if no further fines are levied.

If they mangage to catch 50% of the watches going through, then to keep the same profit margins, watchs will need to cost twice as much. This will make fewer buyers, etc. long story short if they make an initial investment now, the effects will be felt for years to come.

I don't know what the best course of action is, but know that ordering counterfits puts you in the wrong, you will not under any circumstances win whatever court case they put against you. Claiming a friend sent it or that the neighbors kid sent it would be laughed out of the court room.

Personally I would ignore the letter, and if i'm contacted a 2nd time say I never recived the first, and cooperate from then on, if i wasn't contaced, I'd be home free, but I'm not very well versed in UK law, and I don't claim to know whats best, just what I would do. Either way I'd wait a while before ordering any more questionable packages from Asia.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
Would I be able to walk away from a package with four different watches in it?

Guru advised against having more than 2?

Thank you,
Dr.Verylong

jad648

25/8/09
In the US, Rolex or any other brand would still have to prove that YOU ordered the item, that you knew the item to be a counterfeit, that you purchased the item with the intent to resell it and they need to prove all that in a court of law, civil or criminal. Very difficult, if not impossible to do for single buyers and not worth the money or time to pursue the case unless buyer or seller willingly cooperate. They would much rather put the time and effort into sellers and people who are dealing because there are specific laws that apply to those situations. For a number of reasons, it's unlikely that US federal or state legislators would make it illegal to possess or purchase counterfeit merchandise for individual use. Many consumers have been duped into purchasing a counterfeit item as genuine and making them a criminal would only victimize them twice. Besides, most legislators, judges, prosecutors and police officers don't want to see a law in the books that could ultimately put their own parents, spouses and children in jail. You'll be surprised at how many of these people buy replicas, especially women's purses and clothing. I have personally seen women prosecutors and police officers carrying fake handbags. Happens every day.

Time4Direct

Trusted Dealer (In Memoriam RIP)
Gold Patron
25/3/08
You can forget about applying logic or the law to Rolex and US customs .
They are a law unto themselves .
Rolex seem to have the US customs in their pocket .
They will even seize Genuine Rolex that have been bought outside the USA with the correct value on the description.

JellyJoe

28/9/09
Weird... Hont uses DHL, when everybody in here thinks it's a risky shipment system. How come he doesn't know, I wonder?

horologie_unitas

3/12/06
dont sign anything.

play stupid. you would never buy a fake.

dont mess with Rolex, they can - if they want to - and they are willing to take you to court to sue you for several thousand dollars.

they are not intrested in destroying one fake....they wait until they have a few hundreds
or even thousands, then, infront of invited press - they destroy them with a
steam roller

in germany - and Europe, gen watch manufacturers are gearing up....and want to create an example how they can financially hurt people that buy / sell / trade fakes.

their expenses for lawyers....if convicted....will be paid by YOU !
and lawyers.....make even more money that way.

do not use same ship to address again for further purchase....honestly, i wouldnt recommend it.

if you order...ship by the slowest, cheapest method....under the radar of customs.

just let this watch go, Hont will take care of you.

by the way, here is a very helpful complaint letter to the customs.

( for all that have not read it yet, it still makes me laugh ) :

===================================

Dear customs officer on duty,

Just a quick note to let you know how dissatisfied I am with your lack of consideration for the taxpayers of America, who, unless you forgot, pay your salaries.

I have been waiting for three days now, for my Rolex and Omega Replica watches to arrive from the far east and I have about had it with your piss poor job performance and lack of concern for the people that you are supposed to be serving.

Ive heard that all your inspectors are 6th grade drop out illiterates, with a penchant for thievery and lazy to the bone, I personally would like to believe otherwise, but you are doing nothing to disprove these rumors.

Just so you know, I have many more shipments arriving soon, including some very nice Replica copies of Versace, Louie Vitton and other top brand designer goods and I would like to think that these will be processed as quickly as humanly possible so that I dont have to wait a minute longer than necessary. Also please be careful with my goods and dont manhandle or damage the packages.

I sincerely hope that you take my conerns seriously and take steps to improve your performance and image with the american people, or my next letter will not be so polite.

Thank You

Signed - a concerned citizen.

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06
NEVER admit anything illegal. Do NOT sign the form and ignore it. You have no idea what it is about. Sign it and they have you. That is the oldest trick in the book. Lawyers think people are morons.

JellyJoe

28/9/09
Hont told me that he will only guarantee packages through DHL, or he will not guarantee shipment from customs problems...
I don't get it... :err: