• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Confess - what are the watches others love but you hate?

R_James

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
24/10/23
My shitlist in order of most vomit-inducing to least:
1. Anything two tone
2. Anything gold plated
3. Anything with a jubilee bracelet
4. Most Datejust/ Daydate/ Sky-dweller
5. Anything skeleton
6. Anything RM
7. Most PP Aquanauts

I should mention that looking at photos is one thing, but in reality watches tend to not look nearly as offensive when on the wrist. As an example, the Nautilus was very high on this list for me due to it's odd shape, bizarre 'ears' and generally over-hyped blah vibe - it looked like a dinosaur from the 70s that just needed to be put out of its misery. So much so that I refused to even try one on for the longest time. Recently I thought about adding a steel bracelet watch to my collection of gen dress watches and a dealer nearly forced a 5811 on my wrist - and shocker! - I didn't hate actually it on the wrist. It was fantastically thin, the blue dial was awesome and you don't notice the hideous ears as much when it's actually on the wrist. I actually found I preferred it to the majority of sports watches out there - the Rolex Sub/Sea-dweller/GMT/YM don't feel special compared to my high-end gen pieces, they have always given me kiddy junior-banking-analyst-receives-first-bonus vibes. The Daytona is pretty but wears a tad small on my 7.5" inch. The AP RO on bracelet is stunning in person but too blingy for me personally, in addition to being no friend to the hairy man. The VC overseas chrono and dual time were interesting but a bit chonky (though the new DT has been trimmed somewhat). Moral of the story - don't rely on photographs, make your way to a good grey market dealer with a large selection - push yourself out of your comfort zone and try on everything - including stuff that makes you shudder. You might be surprised.

xray7

Amateur Rhetoric Wrangler
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
I actually found I preferred it to the majority of sports watches out there - the Rolex Sub/Sea-dweller/GMT/YM don't feel special compared to my high-end gen pieces, they have always given me kiddy junior-banking-analyst-receives-first-bonus vibes.
Post my escape from London to a nice part of Essex, I’ve found the modern, chunkier sports Rolexes have disappeared from my field of view completely.

All of my neighbours - whose names I know and with whom I’ve spoken more in a couple of months than I spoke to the neighbours in the last place in London in literal years - wear DJs.

Also, I needed to have even the slenderest of slender pretexts so as to reply, such that I could tell you, a person identifying as Rick James in their username, and having the avatar to remove all doubt as to their intentions, to buy another one [watch] you rich motherfucker.

Cubatobaco

Horological Specimen
Supporter
Certified
24/6/24
VA
I mostly came here for the comments, which have not disappointed, but I suppose I’ll put my 2 cents worth in as that’s about all it is worth anyways.

As it’s been said by a lot already, RM makes a gaudy and pretentious piece that looks like something you win out of a gumball machine. That’s definitely not to say I don’t appreciate all that goes into the movement, but ugh!

The love / hate relationship between the Daytona and me is real! I have vehemently abhorred them, yet ordered a Le Mans recently to see if things change. After reading about that particular watch and seeing some of the examples that others have received, curiosity got the best of me. Worst thing that can happen is I can sell it with the countless others that get posted. Lol!

I purposely waited a few moments and placed this thought further down, in hopes that it was get lost, but the Submariner hype drives me insane! How many black dial/bezel, date or no dates do you need? It’s probably the OG, but still. I don’t have one, so maybe it’s like the Daytona, you don’t understand until you own one. Now that I’ve said it, I’m eagerly awaiting notice of my immediate ban!

I’ll wrap it up with features since we could all go on for days about makes/models. I’m not a fan of watches that are either too thick or extremely thin. The NATO strap irks my last nerve as it looks like someone cut the waistband off my underwear and attached it to the watch. Most, if not all, square-faced watches (B&R, SevenFriday, etc) and those older Tag SS bracelets. They looked like a Fossil watch.

I’m sure there is a ton more but I’m done ranting.

Feefo

Vaselume (TM) Authorized Dealer
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I’ll wrap it up with features since we could all go on for days about makes/models.
We have a thread for that:

And for the opposite, too:

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I think this thread went a bit sideways, but I'll play.

Being submerged into watches for years I sometimes feel like a baker, a pastry maker who has to eat sweets all day, every day. One gets numb to it. I've experienced that in my daily, where I deal with luxury goods that makes many people salivate, but after 25 years I'm so over it that can't wait to retire by the end of this year.

There are a few brands whose watches I all hate because they are all hideous. Let's not even try to name them. But even on the popular front, there's not a single brand whose watches I all like.
In alphabetical order . . . AP: I like the colcorful Offshores, but that's about it. Breitling: only one I love, love, love is the 806 and 809. Had the latter, should have never sold it. I like the Cartier Tank Louis in YG and a few Santos models but I hate the Ballon Bleu and the Pasha. Rolex: I like the Explorer I and I like the Deepsea 43, but I've become numb to most other watches. Would't touch a "must have" Rolex with a 10-foot pole now. I like vintage Panerais but despise the new ones, especially those tiny ones made for children and Asian women. Tudor: love the old Snowflakes and the new FXD MN, but not much more. And then there's RM. People desire them because they are now the absolute symbol of wealth, as they outrolexed Rolex from that position. If you're a tennis player like me and want to wear a watch during matches, you'll wear one that you can read in a glimpse, not a skeletonized one. Put a G-Shock on and you're set.

So that leaves me with the exciting task of picking the 0.1% of watches that still get me excited, and that's far from brand loyalty. If I had all the money in the world, so much money that nothing matters, I'd have a YG Daydate, an Aquanaut, a Cartier Louis, some colorful AP Offshores, and would probably wear a couple of Grand Seikos as dailies. Or not. No way of knowing as human nature is to desire what we can't have, which is why Bill Gates wears $50 Casios and jerks off to the noise that makes in the watch universe.

Last edited:

Ralphista

17/3/24
Hi, #xray7 . Just for laughs … in my opinion a quartz watch is a short circuit worse than an electrical body shot that can kill an human being.
Then, sorry but it’s stronger than me, “TIPTRONIC” was the Porsche’s 90’s automatic transmission .
Greetings, bro … 😂

xray7

Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
Hi, #xray7 . Just for laughs … in my opinion a quartz watch is a short circuit worse than an electrical body shot that can kill an human being.
Then, sorry but it’s stronger than me, “TIPTRONIC” was the Porsche’s 90’s automatic transmission .
Greetings, bro … 😂
We are all having a good time here, but not as good a time as Chet and friends from TW Steel marketing.

• Love
Reactions: Dave2302

jamesjohnson

Still New
11/9/22
To answer the original question, I know this is a rep forum, but PRX and Seiko 5. I've owned both, and they're both so bland. No joy putting them on my wrist. People (myself included) just buy them because some random YouTuber said they were good watches. Citizen eco-drives, Casios, Bulovas, micros, much more exciting in that price range.

timsawyer

I'm Unknown!!
24/8/24
Me personally, i'm just not a fan of the Patek Nautilus...

It's hard to describe but the face just doesn't do it for me! Hopefully I didn't offend any Nautilus fans, just not my cup of tea.

Ralphista

17/3/24
Hi. Well, you could try Hamilton and, going up, B&M, Longines, Louis Erard. Lucien Rochat. All factories that, AT LEAST FOR ME, have their appeal ,as a daily wrist, and reasonable prices as they mount commercial ETA movements... but that's just my modest and laughable opinion...

Ralphista

17/3/24
Me personally, i'm just not a fan of the Patek Nautilus...

It's hard to describe but the face just doesn't do it for me! Hopefully I didn't offend any Nautilus fans, just not my cup of tea.
Hi, I don’t like Nautilus too and, above all, I don’t understand how many people can pay about € 800 for a Superclone movement that, in my modest opinion, isn’t a real Superclone when even the written on movement are only PAINTED AND NOT ENGRAVED . Greetings .

bellepoxy

Known Member
4/3/24
Daytonas, watches for gypsies and parvenu. terrible.
once perhaps they retained a luminous aura, now they are inflated, even used car salesmen in the deep provinces wear them, worn with the shirt cuff raised, to make it visible. embarrassing

Proof-Author

I'm Unknown!!
26/8/24
I like the Cartier Tank Louis in YG and a few Santos models but I hate the Ballon Bleu and the Pasha.

I agree
I love the Cartier Tank Louis and it's variations. But something about the shape of the Pasha and the Ballon Bleu puts me off. I like round watches from other brands but seemingly not Cartier's and I can't put my finger on it.

Dohdoh

Renowned Member
30/10/13
OK, I am stepping in and just say it... Any modern 6 digit submariner and gmt model 🫣 but it's mainly because I see them on almost every waiter and wannabe rapper...

xray7

Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
OK, I am stepping in and just say it... Any modern 6 digit submariner and gmt model 🫣 but it's mainly because I see them on almost every waiter and wannabe rapper...
Always interesting to see people who give no fucks about their reps being taken to be real - I remember being out to lunch about 15 years ago for something and I remember only the area where the restaurant was, that I had scallops, and that the waiter had on an absolutely terrible rendition of the Omega SMP which was just the wrong colour.

Likewise the teenage clerk who checked me in at a hotel in Greece rocking his Day Date with a 5 euro haircut.

Please don’t misunderstand me as giving either chap any shit - we should each wear whatever the fuck we like - but the juxtaposition of situation on each was a bit much.

I mean, I’m sure there are purists out there who scoff when they see bespectacled me in all my white collar, middle aged, soft handed, pudgy glory, with an Explorer on my wrist repugnant to the very idea of a “sports” watch, such that I look significantly more likely to be off to explore the ice cream freezer than the Antarctic… but they just don’t say anything.

Last edited: