• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clone 2892-A2 Game over

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11
In the picture provided in post #33 if you "imagine" a dial face on the back of the movement, then it looks like the dial feet holes are at the 3 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions (which would correspond to 9 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions on the actual dial). The holes seem to be empty without any of the dial feet hooks present. It's possible that the dial was glued directly to the dial spacer ring (seen in the second photo of post #24 ). Assuming you took the hands off, the fact that the dial didn't fall off on its own would suggest that the dial spacer ring is either fits tightly on the movement or is glued to the main plate.

Reactions: Hec and Karbon74

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
Finally it was hooked on with two tabs, one of which broke (rust)
Luckily this watch is for practice, I am still wondering which tool to use to remove the hands.

Next week I will practice with another old Cartier rep, the hands are the most delicate moment for me.

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
New problem

I have the new movement on the way, I already have a separate dial and hands.

I just realised that my stem is a bit damaged and I prefer to take out the crown and use the stem of the new movement. Do I need a winder to remove the crown from the stem? Or another tool?

And I imagine that the same winder or tool to put the crown on the new stem, I've been looking at AliExpress but I'm not clear about the size, any help?

I hope I don't have to cut the Stem, I've never done it.

Thanks!

(A pic of my idea of the tool)

Last edited:

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
to remove the stem from the crown, if you are going to throw it away, a small pair of pliers is enough.
You can also use a 0-3mm pin vise which will not damage the stem.

To put back a new stem, I just use my fingers but if you have a pin vise it's better

mind you, if you use a new stem, there is a fair chance that you will need to trim it to the right length for it to thread into the tube of the case

Reactions: Hec

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
to remove the stem from the crown, if you are going to throw it away, a small pair of pliers is enough.
You can also use a 0-3mm pin vise which will not damage the stem.

To put back a new stem, I just use my fingers but if you have a pin vise it's better

mind you, if you use a new stem, there is a fair chance that you will need to trim it to the right length for it to thread into the tube of the case
Thank you for your response.
The movement would be like "unscrewing" I imagine, unscrewing as far away from the crown as possible to avoid damaging it?
Regarding cutting the stem, any example of how to calculate well?

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
the thread in the middle is not really useful so you can grip it there

stem trim there are some threads on the forum or videos on youtube.

Reactions: Hec

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
the thread in the middle is not really useful so you can grip it there

stem trim there are some threads on the forum or videos on youtube.
Do you use specific pliers to cut the stem? Any recommendations?

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain

This is the state of the stem which I want to remove, I am trying to unscrew it with pliers but there is no way to turn it.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
you need to use the pliers to hold the stem in place and turn the crown with your fingers anticlockwise

it might be possible that the stem glued with loctite...in which case a bit of heating with a lighter might help to break the glue

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
you need to use the pliers to hold the stem in place and turn the crown with your fingers anticlockwise

it might be possible that the stem glued with loctite...in which case a bit of heating with a lighter might help to break the glue
I am sure that is glue, I have applied a lot of Force and not turn.

As I've been glued, maybe the new stem won't fit properly, I think I'm going to have to start thinking about buying a new crown.

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
I leave this reflection in case it is useful to anyone in the future.

If there is no way to unscrew the stem from the crown, first give heat with a lighter (on the side where the stem and crown are joined and a little on the crown), although be careful with the material.

Try to unscrew with pliers holding the stem, if it doesn't come out, do step two (this is the one that finally worked).

We go back to that heat with the lighter (about 10 seconds), quickly put it in a freezer for 20-30 seconds, try again with the pliers and it should come out...