• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean 4130 Daytonas.

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
Ubi!!!!!? Long time I haven't see you. Big Greets from Tribal. ;)
Great to see you sir; it's been years I think? Hope all is well in your world, D!

Thanks everyone for the kind words re: my photos. I always look forward to having an opportunity to get the DSLR out, and I couldn't think of any better reason than receiving a new watch :D

I had a very brief chance in between meetings today to quickly compare the Noob to the CF. Obvious details aside (i.e. the dial, etc), some off the cuff observations (don't put too much weight into these; this was from a couple of minutes of holding both watches up to my face without a loupe, and admittedly I was distracted with getting some work things ready for my next call)...

1) The Noob case is bigger. Taller profile, thicker lugs. Deeper rehaut. Though I haven't weighed the two on a scale to draw a compare, it *feels* heavier in hand than the CF. The CF is a much more svelte case...

2) CF did a fairly decent job on the lugs, I think. They got the angled reflection and slabbed angle shape on the 9:00 side portrayed fairly accurately.

3) Maybe it's my brain clouding my thinking, or maybe it's just because the watch is new, but the CF just feels a bit tighter... A little more precision. Seems that with my Noob, I always had to adjust a springbar or fiddle with something. The CF just feels a little more quality.

My early years of reps, I'd have scrapped everything except the case and rebuilt using gen parts. These days, and particularly with this watch, I don't think it's necessary (okay, the crown could stand to be replaced). Maybe I'm getting to the age and point in my life where other priorities take precedent, or maybe it's an instance where I no longer care as much (I still have my vintage Pateks and Big Crown builds to enjoy if I want to go big for an evening). But it's kind of nice to have something that's nice enough to wear OOB without having to mess too much with it.

McPwn

21/9/20
Great to see you sir; it's been years I think? Hope all is well in your world, D!

Thanks everyone for the kind words re: my photos. I always look forward to having an opportunity to get the DSLR out, and I couldn't think of any better reason than receiving a new watch :D

I had a very brief chance in between meetings today to quickly compare the Noob to the CF. Obvious details aside (i.e. the dial, etc), some off the cuff observations (don't put too much weight into these; this was from a couple of minutes of holding both watches up to my face without a loupe, and admittedly I was distracted with getting some work things ready for my next call)...

1) The Noob case is bigger. Taller profile, thicker lugs. Deeper rehaut. Though I haven't weighed the two on a scale to draw a compare, it *feels* heavier in hand than the CF. The CF is a much more svelte case...

2) CF did a fairly decent job on the lugs, I think. They got the angled reflection and slabbed angle shape on the 9:00 side portrayed fairly accurately.

3) Maybe it's my brain clouding my thinking, or maybe it's just because the watch is new, but the CF just feels a bit tighter... A little more precision. Seems that with my Noob, I always had to adjust a springbar or fiddle with something. The CF just feels a little more quality.

My early years of reps, I'd have scrapped everything except the case and rebuilt using gen parts. These days, and particularly with this watch, I don't think it's necessary (okay, the crown could stand to be replaced). Maybe I'm getting to the age and point in my life where other priorities take precedent, or maybe it's an instance where I no longer care as much (I still have my vintage Pateks and Big Crown builds to enjoy if I want to go big for an evening). But it's kind of nice to have something that's nice enough to wear OOB without having to mess too much with it.

Did you notice any difference in the length of the pushers when fully screwed in? I can see the CF sticks out maybe 0.5mm more or so.

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
Didn't seem to notice much difference at all. I will try to carve out some time to get both watches side by side and take some pics. Not sure how successful the exercise will be as some of these things are difficult to capture on camera, but we'll see!

Tiger4

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/1/21

Just received the watch. Looks stunning - CF did and wonderful job. Unfortunately after winding and setting the time, the crown broke off. Any guidance on how this can be fixed without going to a watchmaker or having to go through the TD. Disappointed that I didn’t get to wear the watch nor had it for a day and this happened.

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
Depending on your comfort level, you can open the caseback, release the stem and pull that portion out of the case tube with some watchmaker tweezers. From there, it's a simple matter of reassembling the crown, or taking the opportunity to just replace with a new gen 704 crown.

mir36

Known Member
5/6/09
Do the Clean 116520’s have the correct ‘116520’ engraving between the lugs or is it ‘116500’? I didn’t see any pics at the JTime site.

Reactions: g-yice

Tiger4

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/1/21
Depending on your comfort level, you can open the caseback, release the stem and pull that portion out of the case tube with some watchmaker tweezers. From there, it's a simple matter of reassembling the crown, or taking the opportunity to just replace with a new gen 704 crown.

That doesn’t sound too bad. Don’t really have the tools to perform the repair. I’ll have to bring it to a watchmaker then. Never had this done before, how much do they usually charge for this work and how long doesn’t it normally it take to do.
+ More Options

Last edited:

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
If you are just swapping crowns, that's a 5 minute job. If you are reassembling the split crown, it's just a matter of putting the two halves back together with the spring sandwiched between; this one might take a bit longer as you'd need to loctite the threads to prevent the crown's base and clutch from unthreading and splitting in half again.

Tiger4

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/1/21
If you are just swapping crowns, that's a 5 minute job. If you are reassembling the split crown, it's just a matter of putting the two halves back together with the spring sandwiched between; this one might take a bit longer as you'd need to loctite the threads to prevent the crown's base and clutch from unthreading and splitting in half again.

Thanks for all the info ubi. Hopefully it won’t cost much to do. Appreciate your help and time.

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Do the Clean 116520’s have the correct ‘116520’ engraving between the lugs or is it ‘116500’? I didn’t see any pics at the JTime site.

+1 ......????

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
Some random comparison shots; hope they help.

L: CF, R: Noob
51848956784_dc3f713118_k.jpg

L: CF, R: Noob comparing pushers, CG and crown profile
51848968714_795db8ad39_k.jpg

T: CF, B: Noob comparing case bands (9:00 side)
51849286830_b10bd1fb5d_k.jpg

T: CF, B: Noob comparing case bands (3:00 side). CF crown definitely isn't awesome.
51848956834_c62a2995c2_k.jpg

L: CF, R: Noob rehaut height; CF is definitely shallower.
51848956884_4466c3742f_k.jpg

And since I only have two chronographs left in the collection, one needs to be a daily driver ;)
51848956914_26062bc9cb_k.jpg

Last edited:

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/10/19
trash3939 what do you think about the overall quality and case shape of your new cf, compared to your old noob?

I just received it and haven't looked at it closely yet.
The overall finish of the CF is more beautiful.
The case is also nicer on the CF, but the details look better on the NOOB.
The bracelet of the CF feels lighter than the NOOB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mc Queen