• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Chinese brands that scratch the "itch"

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I suppose these big Chinese brands such as San Martin class as genuine watches, essentially copying the big names in terms of design and build (homages if you will).

Every AliX sale, I find myself picking up one of the popular new models whilst buying other watch related stuff in the vein hope that I'll connect with it and keep it.

But the problem I find with them, almost all of them in fact, is that I just don't bond with them. Am I the problem here or do you guys find the same with the similar ilk of brands? Even the quality is impressive but I find myself wearing them and not wanting to keep them on wrist. I feel like there's something wrong with me 😂

How do you guys get on with Chinese homages? Have any models become irreplaceable in your collections, making rotation weekly? If so, I'd love to know which models

makoberry

Known Member
13/8/09
Chinese brands can be quite inconsistent. Some brands offer excellent models while others fall short. I recommend checking out r/ChineseWatches on Reddit for more insights.

The issues often mirror those found with replicas - quality control, fit and finish. Sharp bracelets, gaps between end links and less than perfect dials.

My favorite current is the Sugess Top Time, which is incredibly good for its price. It's a pity that it's manually wound.

Reactions: Got20Mate

makoberry

Known Member
13/8/09
Chinese brands can be quite inconsistent. Some brands offer excellent models while others fall short. I recommend checking out r/ChineseWatches on Reddit for more insights.

The issues often mirror those found with replicas - quality control, fit and finish. Sharp bracelets, gaps between end links and less than perfect dials.

My favorite current is the Sugess Top Time, which is incredibly good for its price. It's a pity that it's manually wound.

Sorry, correct link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003372099841.html

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Had the same experience with a Steinhart submariner homage. Was a great watch actually, but it didn't do it.
Had the same brand and probably the same model, same thing. Just moved it on without any hard feelings and helped myself by confirming it "wouldn't do it". Maybe I'm just brainwashed haha

Reactions: Feefo

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I gave my San Martin Sub to my dad as he liked it. Never bonded with it despite its quality

I feel the same about the homages. At the exception of the Sugess « daytona » which is my summer holiday watch.

Let’s face it, the logo is awful. But the rest of the watch, including the dial and crystal is quite nice.

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
Baltany is my favorite out the bunch.

San Martin second.

Steeldive third.

Sugess fourth.

The rest I don't bother with but I did gift a Pagani Design moonwatch to my nephew instead of a Swatch 🤣

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Baltany is my favorite out the bunch.

San Martin second.

Steeldive third.

Sugess fourth.

The rest I don't bother with but I did gift a Pagani Design moonwatch to my nephew instead of a Swatch 🤣
You're right. Some of the Baltany stuff is impressive and the finish comes through pretty good for the price point. Some unique homages that no one else bothers with too which is nice.

This doesn't stop me selling them on though 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Karbon74 and Reaps

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
You're right. Some of the Baltany stuff is impressive and the finish comes through pretty good for the price point. Some unique homages that no one else bothers with too which is nice.

This doesn't stop me selling them on though 😂
Since I found reps I stopped buying them, but, I think, they're still the best "entry level" watch out there.

Anyways there's some stuff like the Seiko Willard that isn't replicated so a Steeldive 1970 is still enjoyable.

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Since I found reps I stopped buying them, but, I think, they're still the best "entry level" watch out there.

Anyways there's some stuff like the Seiko Willard that isn't replicated so a Steeldive 1970 is still enjoyable.
I think you've hit the nail on the head somewhere. I was happy with my Seikos until I found this forum, opened my eyes to a world of wonder 😂

ThymePeace

Getting To Know The Place
18/8/23
Really helpful insight, thank you. I agree it can be completely hit and miss with some models that I have had in hand, but even when the finish is extraordinary the "magic" just isn't there.

I agree the Sugess is a superb piece, but the reason I moved it on was because of the hand winding 😂
I have this watch in the light blue/yellow/orange variant and it does look really nice (plus the Seagull movement is a beauty to look at through the display caseback), but the manual wind is indeed a drawback. Point and case, I wore it today and around mid day I discovered that time somehow froze from when I first put it on in the morning! 🤦‍♂️

rek00001

24/4/13
I'm thinking about picking up an IX DAO 39mm Pelagos, there's a bunch of Pelagos homages out there, but after viewing some Youtube comparison reviews the IXDAO seems to be the one to get.

I view Chinese watch Reddit daily.

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
But the problem I find with them, almost all of them in fact, is that I just don't bond with them. Am I the problem here or do you guys find the same with the similar ilk of brands? Even the quality is impressive but I find myself wearing them and not wanting to keep them on wrist. I feel like there's something wrong with me 😂
I tried for years to scratch my Rolex Submariner itch, I bought lots of good quality Gen watches (not Chinese) mostly Swiss, most were dive watches and again most were Submariner homages, brands of ones that come to mind include Squale, Steinhart, Ginault, Davosa, MKll, even Tudor 😐 Nothing worked! Of course I eventually bought my Gen Sub and even that was a challenge to decide on which one, eventually I settled on a 2010 14060M and I’ve had it for four years now and still love it. So maybe there is ’something wrong with us’ but I guarantee you on this Forum I would guess that 90% of us here have got the disease! 🤣

Reactions: xray7 and Got20Mate

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I tried for years to scratch my Rolex Submariner itch, I bought lots of good quality Gen watches (not Chinese) mostly Swiss, most were dive watches and again most were Submariner homages, brands of ones that come to mind include Squale, Steinhart, Ginault, Davosa, MKll, even Tudor 😐 Nothing worked! Of course I eventually bought my Gen Sub and even that was a challenge to decide on which one, eventually I settled on a 2010 14060M and I’ve had it for four years now and still love it. So maybe there is ’something wrong with us’ but I guarantee you on this Forum I would guess that 90% of us here have got the disease! 🤣
You've basically summed up exactly what I've been going through for the past 6-7 years. There are so many homages and different brands that try to replicate what those 5 digit subs do and yet you can't come anywhere near. It's never that the quality isn't there, and seemingly on the surface it is.

BUT it's the "magic" that's missing from the piece.

I've enjoyed the Tudors that I've owned but they don't seem to last very long 😂

Reactions: xray7

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I have this watch in the light blue/yellow/orange variant and it does look really nice (plus the Seagull movement is a beauty to look at through the display caseback), but the manual wind is indeed a drawback. Point and case, I wore it today and around mid day I discovered that time somehow froze from when I first put it on in the morning! 🤦‍♂️

You would not get the view if a rotor hid the movement…