• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Chicago Customs Seized/Confiscated

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
has anyone tried opening a virtual mailbox in NY(or some other area that has lax customs), so that the package would be shipped through NYC customs, and then just getting it forwarded to your real address once it hits the states.

I think something like this would only run like $15 a month. So you can prepay for like 2 months(probably too much of a gamble with one month) and then buy like 3 watches to spread out your costs(would end up being like $10 extra per watch).

If yes, what's a good service for that?
The UPS Store is exactly what you are describing. You have a 6 month minimum, though, and you get an additional free month. The cost is $150 for those 7 months.

Not worth the money at all, especially since your TD will just send you a new one.

You are better off making friends with a member on a board or here who can receive it for you and then send it to you. Maybe you can send him a gift card to Starbucks or his favorite restaurant.

es-watch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/9/15
I didn't even realize that this was an issue until recently. I brought back reps from various trips that I took to Asia, and even reported them to customs as in "I bought a couple of watches totaling about $xx". Guess I just got lucky. Really ridiculous factoid, but this is the reason that a lot of fashion clothes have superfluous non-pockets and other strangeness. It's not possible to copyright utilitarian things like functional pockets. Anything existing independently of the utilitarian aspects can be protected, though (i.e. the specific Rolex icon).

rnrprof

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
24/3/14
United States
wow now DHL- I just got one from TORO through DHL a few days ago and I want him to ship another one on monday with DHL in the meantime he sent one to me HK post since this DHL customs thing came about- I wonder if it is a one week thing or a month or ???

specialkay

11/11/15
I have a watch that just went into customs in Chicago. It's with EMS/USPS. Hopefully it goes through and doesn't get seized.

dxrct

12/10/15
Ill give you a tip, dont check the status just wait/forget a bit, the surprise will be priceless than excitement of monitoring and waiting, and believe that spirit of holiday is within custom officials.

specialkay

11/11/15
Ill give you a tip, dont check the status just wait/forget a bit, the surprise will be priceless than excitement of monitoring and waiting, and believe that spirit of holiday is within custom officials.?

Yea - I am going to just forget about it. Good idea.

Myfriendbooboo

8/10/15
No doubt. I can't see them destroying every stick in a box. For every one they trash I bet 2 get smoked. I guess that's good incentive for them to find them lol

I use to know a guy that was friends with a couple of customs officers. This is when I lived in the Midwest and frequently had cigars brought down to me from Canada. He said the customs officers would laugh that when they seized good Cuban cigars they made sure they destroyed them by burning them one at a time. :laugh:

lucidreamer

16/12/15
Hi,

I am in Florida and just bought a watch from Intime.co but still waiting for the QC. After reading all these posts I am worried now that my watch may be seized since it does happen quite often.

It should go by DHL and not EMS or HK. Are there better chances for DHL to clear customs without issues, will it go through Chicago or another customs office by chance?

If I were the shipper, I would probably put something like: "Replacement Item Due to Warranty Issue" or "Repaired From Manufacturer's Defect", etc. For all the packages coming from China, S. Korea or other Asian countries these days, there are tons of cheap watches, some from eBay, etc. How on earth can agents afford time and money to scan each item and tell if the watch is a replica or a cheap no-name one. Just some thoughts...

Thanks.

Tatagiba

9/1/13
Back on the idea of trying to "hide" the watch.

I was wondering if there is some kind of maerial like those aluminum foils, but based on lead, that could be used to wrap the watches and hide them from x-ray ...

specialkay

11/11/15
Hi,

I am in Florida and just bought a watch from Intime.co but still waiting for the QC. After reading all these posts I am worried now that my watch may be seized since it does happen quite often.

It should go by DHL and not EMS or HK. Are there better chances for DHL to clear customs without issues, will it go through Chicago or another customs office by chance?

If I were the shipper, I would probably put something like: "Replacement Item Due to Warranty Issue" or "Repaired From Manufacturer's Defect", etc. For all the packages coming from China, S. Korea or other Asian countries these days, there are tons of cheap watches, some from eBay, etc. How on earth can agents afford time and money to scan each item and tell if the watch is a replica or a cheap no-name one. Just some thoughts...

Thanks.

What I have read is they just tack on a "real" valued cost of the item and then charge you a percentage from it. So you may get a notice from the post office that you need to pick up your item BUT owe the post office X amount of cash. Imagine you have a Hublot watch valued at 20,000 USD. Think about paying 7% of that to get your item. Worth it?

I have an item that is sitting in customs for 2 days now. Pretty sure its slow because of the holidays. But, this is the first time I ever had a package say "Inbound Into Customs". Nervous.

lucidreamer

16/12/15
What I have read is they just tack on a "real" valued cost of the item and then charge you a percentage from it. So you may get a notice from the post office that you need to pick up your item BUT owe the post office X amount of cash. Imagine you have a Hublot watch valued at 20,000 USD. Think about paying 7% of that to get your item. Worth it?

I have an item that is sitting in customs for 2 days now. Pretty sure its slow because of the holidays. But, this is the first time I ever had a package say "Inbound Into Customs". Nervous.

Yes, if they crack open the box and find a real gen watch - then they will likely assess the import duty $$$ on the real value. Or #2 - If the watch is fake - they will destroy it or the crooked customs agent will keep it for himself most likely.

The point is how to thwart the customs from opening up the package. I cannot imagine how many items arrive daily and tons of them are from eBay sellers in Asia who sell $50 legit cheap watches. Do the customs really open up every single box and check for authenticity of the item or just scan it? By just scanning it who may be able to tell what kind of watch is inside?

specialkay

11/11/15
Yes, if they crack open the box and find a real gen watch - then they will likely assess the import duty $$$ on the real value. Or #2 - If the watch is fake - they will destroy it or the crooked customs agent will keep it for himself most likely.

The point is how to thwart the customs from opening up the package. I cannot imagine how many items arrive daily and tons of them are from eBay sellers in Asia who sell $50 legit cheap watches. Do the customs really open up every single box and check for authenticity of the item or just scan it? By just scanning it who may be able to tell what kind of watch is inside?

Right. There are so many packages that go through customs each day. I read 2 million a week and more during holidays. I know that less than 10% of packages are checked. Rest just go through easily.

specialkay

11/11/15
I am pretty sure my watch has been confiscated by customs. This is the first time I have a package that says "Inbound into Customs" in tracking. There is a little bit of hope left since it has been 4 days. But it usually gets cleared out in just 2 or less.

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
I am pretty sure my watch has been confiscated by customs. This is the first time I have a package that says "Inbound into Customs" in tracking. There is a little bit of hope left since it has been 4 days. But it usually gets cleared out in just 2 or less.

Inbound into customs is normal. seen it many many times next update should read inbound out of customs

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

I had a package sit in customs for 18 days before, then get released.
So theres still hope !

lucidreamer

16/12/15
I once had a small package from Canada sitting in Chicago customs for over a week. There was nothing wrong with it, just personal gifts from my ex-wife to my daughter but still. I also worry about my package currently in transit. Never know what happens :(

specialkay

11/11/15
I had a package sit in customs for 18 days before, then get released.
So theres still hope !

Did you have to pay any duty fee at the post office? That is what I am worried about. If they mark the price of the item at 10k and charge me 20% of that.