• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cheap Gen Waterproof Sub Style Watch For Holiday?

ghosty999

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/14
Hey,

I'm taking my Toro GMTII v4 25j as my main watch to Miami in early summer. I am however looking at a sub style watch to wear in the sea and pool. I've heard Invicta is shockingly bad quality and regularly get water damaged. Does anyone have any suggestions for something suitable? The more it looks like a sub the better! Not fussed about brand, as long as it works!

Budget needs to be under £100/$130

Cheers

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Not Sub style but I would suggest you any of Seiko Diver's (007/009 and similar). Amazing watches for the money, auto's, waterproof and of great quality. ;)

ghosty999

Banned
1/5/14
Cheers Shelby! Was looking at these, still at number 1 spot for now.

Why are these invictas receiving so much hate? Sucks because they look so nice!

FindingSerenity

28/8/14
Invicta gets a lot of hate, most of it justified, but their cheap diver Sub (the 8926) can be a decent piece. It has a fairly solid Seiko movement inside, (the NH35a) but you just have to deal with the branding all over the case and dial. Some sandpaper and a file can take care of that though...

Always do the normal precautions (greasing the seals and such) if you want to be safe though.

Usudno

Horology Curious
15/5/13
I have an invicta.. Pro Diver i believe is what it its called. Simple Sub style watch. I wear it daily for work since the crown on my V5 PO stripped. I have worn it in a pool, ocean, hot tub, and just about everywhere else. It has held up well... Keeps good time and if it breaks i'm out $79. Got it at our local sams club. I can be had for less but for the money its a simple nice watch that has been near bulletproof. The one issue i have with it is the bracelet seems to be cheap. Other then that... perfect beater!!!

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Cheers Shelby! Was looking at these, still at number 1 spot for now.

Why are these invictas receiving so much hate? Sucks because they look so nice!

Hmm does it really looks nice to you?

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/209819-Invicta-Watches-Starting-at-54-99
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_1086...11&ie=UTF8&node=10868493011&emi=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Maybe some of them would pass as good ones but most of them looks cheap on the pics, probably in real life too. As above mentioned, maybe some diver's models are good but I would rather spend $70-100 more and get a nice Seiko for which I know is bombproof.

Usudno

Horology Curious
15/5/13
Don't get me wrong... They are not nearly as nice as my PO rep. It has been bulletproof to this point. I wear it to play golf. Never had issues. Now for a beater of a different flavor... I'm looking at the atacama from luminox. That thing is made to be beat on. Not nearly as nice and shiny as others. But defiantly tough.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Why not get a sub rep in 21j and grease the seals?

Usudno

Horology Curious
15/5/13
Good call fripig.... get a cheap version of the same nice rep you have... Waterproof it and wear it around the pools/beach.

ghosty999

Banned
1/5/14

I'm guessing a search will pull up a "how to" on this? Sounds like a good idea to be honest. Only down side is if it messes up... I have no warranty, the Seikos have 2 year warranty.

Overport

14/2/13
Orient Mako. Pick em up fairly cheaply on eBay. Had mine for a couple of years and wear it for the rough/dirty stuff. It refuses to die.

teoulennon

Renowned Member
17/5/11

This.
I did this till I acquired a collection large enough so that I just used one of my older decent a2836 subs I didn't care much about for the beach.
Greased the seals and made sure everything was tight. Been using it for a couple years now, never failed me

I use a smurf subc and also a gmtii with brightly colored nato bands for a more summer feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azurax

Known Member
24/9/13
If you're really looking for a sub, and you can up your budget a little (TOTALLY worth it) get a Steinhart Ocean 1
8124761929_ab6bcc289b_z.jpg

I have one and I absolutely love it.

Otherwise I'd prob stick with the Seiko subs. I know they're not really Rolex-like but they're great gen watches for a low price.

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
His budget is not within a steinhart range. I would much rather have a rep of a Rolex sub than a company that copies the Rolex sub in every detail and puts their name on it anyway......yes. I hate steinharts. Cheap. And tasteless brand. No originality. They may as well just write Rolex on it and sell it as a rep as it would be a middle of the road rep with the way its constructed anyway besides the swiss movement.

As far as a sub. Just what the other guys said. Just get a rep sub. If you take it to any watch place they can do a water resistance test for you and grease the seals if you don't feel comfortable doing that. But with that said I've never had a rep that hasn't been water resistant enough to swim in. But it is always better to have them tested. Its a cheap test and they will tighten that case back up good for you. Although your budget is a pretty low end watch. For around 180 to 200 you can get a decent sub with a with the right movement in it too. Quality In all aspects suffers with the lower the price.

Mark9117

31/5/12
+1 for the Seiko SKX007 or 009 (Pepsi bezel).

Though I could vouch for the Orient Mako or Ray as well.

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
If you're really looking for a sub, and you can up your budget a little (TOTALLY worth it) get a Steinhart Ocean 1
8124761929_ab6bcc289b_z.jpg

I have one and I absolutely love it.

Otherwise I'd prob stick with the Seiko subs. I know they're not really Rolex-like but they're great gen watches for a low price.

Hey I know that watch! Glad you still like it like the first day it arrived. :thumbsup: It's still on my wish list and I'll get it sooner or later.

ghosty999

Banned
1/5/14
Great advice all thanks! I'm struggling to find a watchsmith near me willing to touch reps, they either ignore me or get pissy when I e-mail them and ask if they do a water proofing service.

I do have a sub no date 21j I got from Trust/Andrew years ago I'd be willing to use, however when I screw the crown in tight it usually stops... a stem issue I'm guessing