• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CF Daytona Gen Crystal swap - light guide my experience. GUIDANCE ONLY!

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
bro, thank you for your tutorial!

but I think the correct mode for stem removal should be the winding position instead

there is a guide here
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...30-from-the-case-and-how-to-reset-the-keyless

tripdog also said it
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...4130-issue-with-keyless?p=9163218#post9163218
100% correct. Different design of movements require the keyless works to be in either the winding or time setting position to remove the stem. I learned this the hard way many times. Haha. Then you have to learn to take apart and service movements after you keep messing up keyless works.

wimpie007

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/3/10
Is removing the bezel just for a Daytona?
On a sub you can just press out the crystal right?

techno89

12/9/12
Thank you, I think my biggest question, however, is how happy are you with the result? Does the gen crystal really give you that nice pop that the rep can lack sometimes? Was it worth the money for the part?

Tobel

Respected Member
6/7/17
Thank you, I think my biggest question, however, is how happy are you with the result? Does the gen crystal really give you that nice pop that the rep can lack sometimes? Was it worth the money for the part?
IMO on a Daytona there is very limited benefit to gen crystals over CF.

On models with Cyclops that's a completely different story

Desmog999

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
21/1/21
Congratulations nice guide and nice tools!!! However, as @Alex Cheon pointed out, the glass that was mounted is wrong ... or rather ... the glass B25-7000-3-C1 is for references 116505 116509 as it has a different gasket height compared to the B25 -7000-2-C1... only the gasket changes the crystal is twin...

Alex Cheon

Getting To Know The Place
15/6/15
Congratulations nice guide and nice tools!!! However, as @Alex Cheon pointed out, the glass that was mounted is wrong ... or rather ... the glass B25-7000-3-C1 is for references 116505 116509 as it has a different gasket height compared to the B25 -7000-2-C1... only the gasket changes the crystal is twin...
3 and 2 have same crystal
But different gasket, right?
And 3 might be more height than 2?

Reactions: Desmog999

RedMouthguard

Known Member
22/9/21
NYC
Just wanted to let you know this was an excellent guide bro. I did my first crystal swap on my CF Black Panda using this guide and everything went great.

The only edit I would make, is to keep the crown in winding position NOT time setting position, when removing the stem. Because for some reason removing stem while in time setting position resets the keyless works. This is specifically for the 4130 movement.

mariot

22/2/19
very nice post, let me ask is there a big difference between the replica crystal and the gen you installed?
given that there is no cyclops where the difference is huge

mariot

22/2/19
oops sorry I just saw that the question above has already been answered

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
very nice post, let me ask is there a big difference between the replica crystal and the gen you installed?
given that there is no cyclops where the difference is huge
I’ve changed at least 4 of my CF Daytona crystals to Deep. For $50ish per crystal, it’s worth it. BTF crystals are good, would only upgrade those to gen but not worth it to me.

blunt_0000

Supporter
Certified
14/5/23
The Internet :)
This is absolutely great - thank you very much. This is truly great for everyone thinking about doing this process themselves. 🙌

WindJonah

Known Member
29/11/15
Extremely helpful post, thanks. I’m a total amateur about to try this for the first time....well, once the crystal and tools arrive. Can I ask please, when mounting the (new) crystal in the case does it need to be firmly seated - i.e. with the press – before placing the bezel on the crystal? Or does it only need to be lightly mounted (obviously squarely / properly aligned), as pressing the bezel in place will seat it fully?

WindJonah

Known Member
29/11/15
Finally plucked up the courage to change the stock CF crystal to a Deep Crystal – my first ever mod! Thanks to this thread, it was It was all relatively straightforward and not nearly as nerve-wracking as I thought it would be. The most time consuming bit for me was lining up the LEC and then the bezel.

As for the results…the difference is nothing short of remarkable.

Minome

Supporter
Certified
19/3/23
United Kingdom
When installing the stem be careful no to get the release pin stuck like below otherwise you will need to partially strip the movement to release. It can be done with the dial in situ but its not recommended.
Great tutorial. just swaped mine.

but being the first time doing it, i have the pin stuck.
doesn anyone have a tutorial on how to unstuck it, please?

Theatrix

Patron
Certified
12/2/18
USA
Excellent tutorial and very similar tool assortment. This should give many a much higher degree of confidence when beginning their entree into modding this model.