• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CF Daytona Gen Crystal swap - light guide my experience. GUIDANCE ONLY!

tigerwoods

I'm Pretty Popular
14/1/11
The Milkyway
So i carried out a swap of my Clean Factory 116500 Xtal to Gen this evening. As promised i said i would post pics of the process. So see below.

This is for guidance and and my experience and not a tutorial. But i though i would post so if anyone wants to have a go they can see what you may come up against, by no means is the be all end all way to do it. Ive invested quite a bit (Over £2k) in watch tools and equipment to allow me to do this to a good level without compromising and damaging the watch and its parts. If you intend to do this i suggest you do the same or send to someone who knows how. I prepared for the risk of damage to my own watches but have no responsibility if you try this and it doesn't work out. Obviously i wish you well and hope it does but i cant take the wrap for it !!!

Firstly you need the correct tools to complete the process which are set out below Ive put my tools in brackets.

1. Caseback Opener (Betued 5700)
2. Springbar Tool (Bergeon Replica)
3. Crystal Press (Dauerhaft)
4. Good set of Watchmakers Screwdrivers (Bergeon 55-604 6899-S10)
5. Bezel Removal Tool (Generic)
6. Caseback Cushion (Bergeon 5395-55 Gel)
7. Polystyrene Stick Tool (Bergeon 6436)
8. Bench Mat (Bergeon 7808)
9. Hand operated Blower tool (Generic)
10. Rodico (Bergeon)
11. Small Polythene bags (100mm x 75mm)
12. Carbon Fiber Tweezer (Bergeon 6751)
13. Watch Movement Dust and Stroage Covers (Generic See Amazon)
14. Watch Silicone Greasing Case Tool (Generic)

IMG-1413.jpg

IMG-1414.jpg

Crystal required for Gen Daytona 116500 Part no: B25-7000-3-C1

IMG-1415.jpg

Start by using spring bar tool to remove the bracelet. Remember which end link that goes to which lugs to when you refit you dont get upside down!

IMG-1416.jpg

IMG-1417.jpg

Once bracelet is removed you can start by using a case-back removal tool- I use a BERGEON replica case back tool No.5 29.50

IMG-1418.jpg

IMG-1419.jpg

IMG-1420.jpg

Once caseback is removed you need to start by removing the movement.

IMG-1421.jpg

Start by removing the stem by pressing down the small stem removal pin. Ensure the crown is set to the time setting position. I use a Bergeon Polystyrene tool for this.
Ensure you store the remove crown and stem safely in your dust proof storage.

IMG-1422.jpg

IMG-1423.jpg

IMG-1424.jpg

Then you need to use the correct sized screwdrive to remove the movement from the case. The locking tabs at the edge of movement need to be removed and stored safely to free the movement from the case. Again store the removed parts in your dust proof storage.

IMG-1425.jpg

Next put caseback cushion on the back of the watch and turn over.

IMG-1426.jpg

IMG-1427.jpg

IMG-1428.jpg

The Movement should release itself from the case like below.

IMG-1429.jpg

Again using finger cots or latex gloves pick the movement up and move to dust proof storage.

IMG-1430.jpg

Use a carbon fibre ended tweezer to remove the case-back gasket and move to a safe location to prevent any damage.

IMG-1431.jpg

Next prepare your bezel removal tool to the appropriate size for watch.

IMPORTANT ! You will now also need polythene bag to prevent scratches to case.

IMG-1433.jpg

once in the tool allow the back edge of the bezel to go in the edge of the teeth of the removal tool. As below with the polythene bag in situ.

IMG-1434.jpg

The bezel will be removed as per the below photo.

IMG-1435.jpg

As you can see below the case is dirty so put this in the ultrasonic cleaner if you have or clean with a good microfibre cloth a light detergent.

IMG-1436.jpg

We now need to remove the crystal from the bezel. I use a 40mm Bezel Press Ring for the bezel ring and a 30 for centre of the crystal.

IMG-1439.jpg

IMG-1440.jpg

Again using a polythene bag put the 30mm on the top of the press and the 40mm on the bottom line up the bezel with flat side eqaul all the way round and gently press down to release the crystal.

IMG-1441.jpg

As i did below you may need to space up the extra gap below with an additional bezel ring tool if the press doesnt go down enough. You may not get this issue but I've highlighted below.

IMG-1442.jpg

You should have now separated the bezel from the gasket and crystal as seen below.

IMG-1443.jpg

IMG-1444.jpg

Below is the Gen Crystal and measurements. Its slightly thinner as per vernier gauge.

IMG-1445.jpg

Clean Xtal 1.84mm

IMG-1448.jpg

Gen Xtal 1.82m

IMG-1449.jpg

Next put the movement back in the case and install the stem to allow movement to centre. This is enable centering of the xtal over the 6 oclock indice.

IMG-1455.jpg

IMG-1456.jpg

Mount the gasket on the xtal and install on the case ring.

IMG-1457.jpg

IMG-1458.jpg

IMG-1459.jpg

When installing the stem be careful no to get the release pin stuck like below otherwise you will need to partially strip the movement to release. It can be done with the dial in situ but its not recommended.

IMG-1460.jpg

IMG-1462.jpg

Next fit the movement retainer tabs and screws.

IMG-1463.jpg

Add some silicon grease to the case back gasket. I use a grease sponge to give an even layer.

IMG-1464.jpg

Using the carbon fibre tweezers install back into groove in the rear of the case.

IMG-1465.jpg

Fit the caseback cover and hand tighten only.

IMG-1466.jpg

Turn the watchhead back over

IMG-1467.jpg

Prepare the bezel ring press dies. I use 42mm for the top and a 38mm for the bottom.

Put the bezel on top of the crystal and line up the markers to the dial ensuring its level. I put a small amount of silicone grease on the bottom of the bezel ring and the inner edge to improve Water Resistance and also aids in lubrication for the pressing process.

Put the watch in the press and press down from the top using a polythene bag.

Sorry i didnt get pictures to show this bit or if i did i cannot find them !

IMG-1468.jpg

IMG-1469.jpg

Once press on it should look like the below

IMG-1470.jpg

IMG-1471.jpg

IMG-1472.jpg

IMG-1473.jpg

IMG-1474.jpg

Ensure everything is lined up!!

IMG-1475.jpg

IMG-1476.jpg

IMG-1477.jpg

IMG-1478.jpg

IMG-1479.jpg

IMG-1480.jpg

IMG-1481.jpg

IMG-1482.jpg

IMG-1483.jpg

IMG-1484.jpg

NOTE: The watch has yet to be pressure tested as my tester is being repaired. But when it arrives back i will decase the movement and post photos of the test. I do not recommend testing the watch with the movement in until it passes without it installed.

Any question etc i will try to assist where i can.

Good luck and remember be careful if you decide to try and if you're not confident maybe leave to someone who is.

MODS - If this post is no good by all means do what you need to from your side. I hope i have not infringed any rules so if i have please let me know.

Thanks Everyone

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
This is amazing, and exactly the step-by-step breakdown that many hands-on members love to read (including myself). Thank you for the attention to detail, and the time and effort spent on this.

Reactions: Plaasbaas

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Thank you for the guide. However , is there a need to remove the movement?

i usually just take out the bezel, and install the new crystal.

Reactions: aHero and Dizzy

tigerwoods

I'm Pretty Popular
14/1/11
The Milkyway
I wanted to clean the case in ultrasonic can’t do that will movement in. Also didn’t want to take any chances. But feel free to do without taking movement out. Personal choice for the sake of 5mins to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Thank you, very much appreciated! Love to follow other members hands-on experiences. Gonna save and store this together with all the other tutorials I have accumulated so far.

Reactions: BlackJaguar

vodamerc

Muppet
22/2/22
Australia
Absolutely brilliant, thanks for taking the time to make this thread.

Do you know what the difference is between your crystal and b25-295-5-v2-c1?

And lastly did you use the gen crystal gasket or the clean?

Thanks!

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
30/3/09
This is awesome. Wish this was available to me a year ago when I totally botched a crystal install and smashed a gasket or two lol

Thank you and this should be stickied!

Reactions: BlackJaguar

sutekidane

Still New
20/3/22
bro, thank you for your tutorial!

but I think the correct mode for stem removal should be the winding position instead

there is a guide here
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...30-from-the-case-and-how-to-reset-the-keyless

tripdog also said it
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...4130-issue-with-keyless?p=9163218#post9163218

Can confirm was well. Recently swapped out a V1 crown to a V2 crown as a DIY project. My local watchsmith reminded me, like three times, don't yank out the stem unless it's in the winding position.

Burbizia

29/8/20
Hello, htnaks for the excelent guide!

is there any difference between:
B25-7000-2-C1
B25-7000-3-C1

thanks and regards!

Vietkidd05

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
11/3/22
United States
Wow amazing post!! thanks for taking your time to do this .. going to start my own swap hopefully soon. !! bookmarked this page for sure

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
lovely and resourceful post but if you only need to change crystal and/or gasket and/or bezel you do not need to remove the movement and potentially screw the keyless

BigCrown6538

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/1/23
Europe
Thank you for this guide!
I have bought a lot of watchmaker tool, and try to work on older watches to educate myself.
This guide would be very helpful, and will sure try :)

rssid

Getting To Know The Place
4/7/22
Pics are awesome thanks for the informative write up !

Mustang2022

Getting To Know The Place
16/12/22
GER
Great post! Thanks for sharing how a crystal can be swaped. My learning... leave it to the experts with proper equipment ;)