• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Caution when paying with a credit-card on TD websites.

aggiefarmer

The older I get the better I used to fly
Supporter
Certified
20/1/24
US
Again, I'm appreciative for all the information that's provided on this site.

BobClod

Horology Curious
Supporter
Certified
11/1/24
I'm new to all this and don't know anything about anything, but I used my Apple card, and after the transaction requested a new card number. You can do it right on the app. It's only a problem if you have recurring monthly charges set up with a company (streaming, phone payments, etc.), which I don't. Hope this helps.

MovieBuff

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
29/12/23
Echoing the thankfulness of this post. Prior to reading it, it had been my plan to use my CC. Still trying to figure out the one-time-use credit cards, but one thing at a time!

Pogranec

Supporter
Certified
9/9/22
When I first time ordered my f
watches from a TD I paid with CC. As soon as I made I payment, I realized that CC info potentially can lead to some shady persons. After I reissued my cards just in case. Now I pay with crypto or WU only.

Reactions: MovieBuff

Jimbothegreat

Known Member
Patron
Certified
30/12/23
In light of recent events (multiple threads about sudden charges on credit-cards that were ONLY used on TD websites) I decided to do a short write-up of why you should always take your precautions.

This might be common sense to some, but let me just state the obvious: You are purchasing illegal products from a seller based in CHINA. This isn't amazon. No payment processor will knowingly allow these transactions to go through.

Typically when you're filling out a form for CC payments on TD websites, this will just be a basic contact form that sends your full CC details (non-encrypted) directly to your TD. They will then take your details and fill them in on an external shill-website to process your payments. Mod edit. The CC processor itself is most likely also shady as f* :)

Anyone working the TD website can fully see the entire CC-details and theoretically use it as they'd please. It's also incredibly vulnerable to any entry-hacker setting up a sniffer and just grabbing your CC information off their site.

A regular CC-payment gateway would encrypt most numbers and only leave 4 digits visible to shopkeepers (for confirmation purposes). Most TD sites receive the entire number (expiration date + security numbers) and then process it on their end.

Would I want to send my CC information sent across the world unsecured, to some illegal operation in china selling counterfeit items? No. At least not my "main" credit-cards with a balance / credit.

If you absolutely MUST use a CC, then do yourself a favour and use a throw-away card or a one-time virtual card. There are plenty of services online for virtual cards, or prepaid cards.

Regardless; paying with a Banktransfer, WU, BTC or other methods will almost always give you a further discount on your purchase - so that's definitely also something you should consider, it really makes no sense paying extra just to use a CC.

This is not me saying that you can't trust the TD's here, I'm sure plenty of people are paying with CC without further issues. They are however big targets for hacking attempts, they could have a rogue employee, shady payment processors and lots of other reasons.

Just be cautious guys. It's so easy to get an additional CC card for one-time purposes and it would save you a lot of trouble SHOULD something happen.

Raddave

Good to know! Thank you!

Ridece

9/2/24
In light of recent events (multiple threads about sudden charges on credit-cards that were ONLY used on TD websites) I decided to do a short write-up of why you should always take your precautions.

This might be common sense to some, but let me just state the obvious: You are purchasing illegal products from a seller based in CHINA. This isn't amazon. No payment processor will knowingly allow these transactions to go through.

Typically when you're filling out a form for CC payments on TD websites, this will just be a basic contact form that sends your full CC details (non-encrypted) directly to your TD. They will then take your details and fill them in on an external shill-website to process your payments. Mod edit. The CC processor itself is most likely also shady as f* :)

Anyone working the TD website can fully see the entire CC-details and theoretically use it as they'd please. It's also incredibly vulnerable to any entry-hacker setting up a sniffer and just grabbing your CC information off their site.

A regular CC-payment gateway would encrypt most numbers and only leave 4 digits visible to shopkeepers (for confirmation purposes). Most TD sites receive the entire number (expiration date + security numbers) and then process it on their end.

Would I want to send my CC information sent across the world unsecured, to some illegal operation in china selling counterfeit items? No. At least not my "main" credit-cards with a balance / credit.

If you absolutely MUST use a CC, then do yourself a favour and use a throw-away card or a one-time virtual card. There are plenty of services online for virtual cards, or prepaid cards.

Regardless; paying with a Banktransfer, WU, BTC or other methods will almost always give you a further discount on your purchase - so that's definitely also something you should consider, it really makes no sense paying extra just to use a CC.

This is not me saying that you can't trust the TD's here, I'm sure plenty of people are paying with CC without further issues. They are however big targets for hacking attempts, they could have a rogue employee, shady payment processors and lots of other reasons.

Just be cautious guys. It's so easy to get an additional CC card for one-time purposes and it would save you a lot of trouble SHOULD something happen.

Raddave
There is nothing to add...:cool:

Bullboy123

Horology Curious
25/4/23
Hampshire
I’m a noob and I found transferwise or wise as it’s now known a decent process for purchase. very smooth in sending my payment to CTime.

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
What about PayPal ???
Paypal is fine but most dealers dont like it and will only take Paypal F&F from users who have purchased from them before or a long standing member.

If you use Paypal do not open a dispute or chargeback. You will be blacklisted and ruin Paypal for everyone else.

Reactions: Dave2302