• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buyer Beware

SoCal Watch Geek

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/10/22
I purchased a Rolex Submariner 126613 from Ryan. Transaction was smooth, but when I received the watch & tried to set the time, I discovered that it wouldn't move. The movement was completely broken. I contacted seller & informed of the issue (sent videos & pictures to prove that the watch wasn't working). Was told that the watch warranty was voided because I admittedly removed the two side stickers (I'm just being honest) & was not able to place it back exactly as I received it. I had the watch for a day & never wore it. Because 2 side stickers were removed, the whole warranty was voided & I would be unable to have the watch repaired. It's a $448 item & it doesn't work. Consumer beware, this seller will gladly take your money, but will not work with you to resolve a problem. I was told that its their terms & conditions & that the customer removed even just one sticker & if it's not exactly as sent, the warranty is void. Is this fair for the customer? After not even wearing the watch, having it for one day & only removing two stickers (putting it back, albeit not as nice as when received). I will simply take it as lesson learned & take it as a loss. Maybe I shouldn't ha e removed the 2 side stickers by the crown guards, but I was excited to set the time & see the movement. Just be aware of what you are dealing with before you spend your hard earned cash! All the best to my fellow enthusiasts!

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Let us see the email and tell us which address you received the mails from please.

Thanks in advance.

Groomlake

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/5/20
Please post the transaction, mail and the video
Warranty lost due to two stickers? I hope it’s not true

SoCal Watch Geek

Banned
3/10/22
I am unable to upload the video showing the non working watch. Anyway, my intent is to inform potential buyers not to remove stickers & check movement first upon receiving their purchase (if they do buy from this dealer). It was a costly mistake on my part, but was just excited to check out the watch. I should have checked that it was working prior to removing the 2 side stickers.

peteburrito

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/6/22
can you post the email exchange? theres 2 sides to every story but so far it sounds pretty bs to me, I've never heard of warranty voided for sticker removal, really sounds like something that should be covered.

SoCal Watch Geek

Banned
3/10/22
After some back & forth emails, the seller admitted that the watch was indeed under warranty. I received the watch & immediately tried to set it. I discovered it wasn't running. I immediately emailed Ryan & was told that the watch would not be accepted because I admitted removing some stickers. He insisted that the watch had to be returned "exactly" as it was shipped. Being an honest person, I admitted in removing, but putting back the stickers. He said, "no" that the watch was unacceptable. Funny, just yesterday, he sent me the above email claiming that we had a misunderstanding. This is after I told him I would post pics & a video of the watch on the forums. My intent is to give potential buyers a warning not to remove any stickers prior to checking movement. I do not want them being told the same thing that I had been told. Anyway, Ryan said I can return the watch, but I had opted not to waste my time with someone who would not honor what I understood in the Terms & Conditions. I bit the bullet & took it to a watch repair shop & the technician opened it & showed me that the watch had a screw missing which held the movement & a broken spring. My question is, "how could this have happened during shipping?" & "why was it not noticed when QC was being done, or was QC ever done?". Either way, I have moved on & will make my future purchases from a different dealer. Wish all the other members best of luck & enjoy the collecting hobby!

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
My question is, "how could this have happened during shipping?" & "why was it not noticed when QC was being done, or was QC ever done?"
QC is not as detailed as you might think and this definitely can happen during shipping. Has happened to me and almost everyone on here.

Dealers do a very general overview of the watch during QC as QC is for the buyer to confirm that they're getting the watch that they want. Nothing else. And dealers really don't have to do QC, it's more of a privilege.

The expectations seem to be a little bit too high on what the dealer does or rather what people want the QC to check. Most of these people are a one man operation and they're not watchmakers. They're not going to go into your watch and tighten every screw. This isn't a mainstream watch company with those resources.

SoCal Watch Geek

Banned
3/10/22
Yes Sir I understand that, but the QC pics were sent along with the BPM machine pics. The BPM machine pic showed the watch was working. These were received just a day before the item was supposedly shipped. If the watch was indeed working when QC'd, how can it possibly be working then if a screw was missing to hold down the movement and hairspring were broken? I don't expect a perfect "replica" as it is indeed a replica. However, for $478, I did expect a working watch.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
The gentleman before gave you a spot on explanation and it's not sinking in with you. As he mentioned it has happened to all of us. You're buy a fake Chinese watch. QC is for you to see any glaring issues. It's not a teardown of the watch and movement. Instead of creating such an incident, you could have resolved it with the trip to the watchmaker. When you deal with counterfeit goods, adjust your expectations accordingly.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Yes Sir I understand that, but the QC pics were sent along with the BPM machine pics. The BPM machine pic showed the watch was working. These were received just a day before the item was supposedly shipped. If the watch was indeed working when QC'd, how can it possibly be working then if a screw was missing to hold down the movement and hairspring were broken? I don't expect a perfect "replica" as it is indeed a replica. However, for $478, I did expect a working watch.
The screw can literally unscrew in transit. It’s not missing, my friend. It’s stuck in the movement.

You have no idea how poorly treated shipped items are in transit.

The timegrapher ensures that the watch was working before it was shipped. That is the purpose of the timegrapher portion of QC. You state you got pics of the watch working, ergoooooo, you got a dead on arrival watch because a screw got loose in shipping transit.

Your expectations are a tad too high for this hobby. You’re LUCKY if you get a working watch.

This is a “you” problem. Buy a Timex.

Last edited:

SoCal Watch Geek

Banned
3/10/22
The gentleman before gave you a spot on explanation and it's not sinking in with you. As he mentioned it has happened to all of us. You're buy a fake Chinese watch. QC is for you to see any glaring issues. It's not a teardown of the watch and movement. Instead of creating such an incident, you could have resolved it with the trip to the watchmaker. When you deal with counterfeit goods, adjust your expectations accordingly.
My expectation was a working watch for the money. No more, no less. Also expected the seller to honor their terms & conditions as posted on their website.

SoCal Watch Geek

Banned
3/10/22
The screw can literally unscrew in transit. It’s not missing, my friend. It’s stuck in the movement.

You have no idea how poorly treated shipped items are in transit.

The timegrapher ensures that the watch was working before it was shipped. That is the purpose of the timegrapher portion of QC. You state you got pics of the watch working, ergoooooo, you got a dead on arrival watch because a screw got loose in shipping transit.

Your expectations are a tad too high for this hobby. You’re LUCKY if you get a working watch.

This is a “you” problem. Buy a Timex.
I suppose that the watch can possibly take on damage during shipping Sir. However, for $478, is it too much to expect a working replica?

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
I suppose that the watch can possibly take on damage during shipping Sir. However, for $478, is it too much to expect a working replica?
Not even for a $10,000 Rolex. Even Rolexes get damaged in transit.

The dealer cannot control what happens in transit, gen or fake. This happens to everyone.

You need to deal with your dissatisfaction, which is no one’s responsibility but yours, and either fix the watch or return it.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Another thing is, which is very unfair, the dealer has to deal with the consequences of a third party; the shipping company and or the factory.

How about we also go after the shipping company and the factory too and even out the playing field?

SoCal Watch Geek

Banned
3/10/22
As I've said, I simply expected a working product. I believe anyone who pays for any item would expect the item they paid for to be in working order. In regards to returning it, I became skeptical of the seller & opted to take it to a watch repair shop, hence discovering the screw & spring issue. The purpose of my post was to simply make others aware not to remove stickers prior to checking the movement upon receipt so that they would not possibly be told that the warranty was no longer valid (as I was told by the seller). From the beginning upon my email exchanges w/the seller, I knew I had a loss. As stated, it's a part of the risk when purchasing replicas. It's just a shame because as some would probably agree, removing the stickers should not void the warranty & the seller should accept me returning the watch at my expense. This is not what I experienced in the beginning. I was immediately told that I voided the warranty & that the watch would not be accepted back for repair. It was only when I informed the seller that I would share my experience in the forums that seller emailed me back & told me we had a "misunderstanding" & that he would accept a return & honor the 1 year movement warranty. I understand that the dealer cannot control what happens in transit, but a term and conditions was set forth on their website regarding a 1 year warranty on movement, that was immediately shut down when I honestly admitted in removing the two side stickers & that I put them back. That is why I made this post, to warn others not to remove any stickers prior to checking if the watch works.