• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Building a GMT Master Ref. 16750 the successor of the Ref. 1675

matzemedia

Supporter
Certified
22/4/21
Deutschland
If you want my advice to improve it even more change the crown, Athaya or Gen and the insert with a Gen will change for the better.
You are right. There are still place for improvement. That's the good - so the build is not getting boring. I am already doing some experiments with different inserts. So for example here with a common Ali insert, slightly faded at the red part.

In my opionion there is no big effect in changing the crown. It is only visible by using glasses. But lets see some details.

On the left you see a Gen crown - on the right the Raffle crown

After some metal work the radius is close to the gen:

On the left you see a Gen crown - on the right the modified Raffle crown

It is my first try to mod a crown. And as you can see not the best result. Does someone had good experience in modding a crown?

ZX_RR

Horology Curious
Supporter
10/4/24
Where did you get those straps if I may ask?

The texture of the lume on the dial and hands is looking very good.

Reactions: matzemedia

WatchN3RD

Gold Patron
24/7/18
As usual, nice work!
1) What products did you use to lume the hands?
2) Did you only use bleach to fade the insert?
3) Great improvement with the crown. Did you file only the front or the back side too? I haven't done that in years, but I remember messing ruining the first one I tried.

Thanks for sharing!

EnryDJ36

In search of perfection
5/11/23
Italy
You are right. There are still place for improvement. That's the good - so the build is not getting boring. I am already doing some experiments with different inserts. So for example here with a common Ali insert, slightly faded at the red part.

In my opionion there is no big effect in changing the crown. It is only visible by using glasses. But lets see some details.

It is my first try to mod a crown. And as you can see not the best result. Does someone had good experience in modding a crown?
You did a good job, The difference between the Gen or Athaya crown and the Raffles one can be seen well even the logo is different. For a cost of around fifty Euros shipped to Europe you could get an Athaya which is very good in quality, however excellent modification work! The clearly visible difference on the inserts between Gen and most of the replicas are the numbers 2 - 20 -22 which are tangential to the curvature of the glass while I have to follow the curvature and this is easily noticeable to my eye.

EnryDJ36

In search of perfection
5/11/23
Italy

If you want try to slightly file the CG like the red lines the opening angle of the original was slightly wider

matzemedia

Supporter
Certified
22/4/21
Deutschland
Thanks for you commend.

1) What products did you use to lume the hands?
I use the product from Bergon; a mixture of lacquer and thinner. I mix everything in it that can somehow produce the desired colour. In this case, luminous powder, espresso and acrylic paint. All in very small quantities, of course.

2) Did you only use bleach to fade the insert?
Yes. For this insert i put only the red part into the bleach. I live in Europe and it is difficult to buy bleach. The one I use is not the strongest. For this little color change it took 12 hours. I can' t recommend my product ;-)
3) Great improvement with the crown. Did you file only the front or the back side too? I haven't done that in years, but I remember messing ruining the first one I tried.
The front side is easier because it is easier to reach. I don't think this was my last attempt either. I tried it because I had some cheap 5.3mm crowns and could risk the experiment. A Gen or Athaya would of course be better - but my budget is exhausted at the moment and I love making things!

• Love
Reactions: WatchN3RD

matzemedia

Supporter
Certified
22/4/21
Deutschland
If you want try to slightly file the CG like the red lines the opening angle of the original was slightly wider

Yes, you are right. At this magnification you can really see an improvement. This is a challenge - especially to find such a small and fine file. Challenge accepted!

Reactions: EnryDJ36

WatchN3RD

Gold Patron
24/7/18
Yes, you are right. At this magnification you can really see an improvement. This is a challenge - especially to find such a small and fine file. Challenge accepted!
Don't forget about tiny nails, metal rods, or shaved toothpicks wrapped in XYZ grit sandpaper if you can't find that file.

sting

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/24
Personally if you intend to change the crown for a more close to Gen one, I'd do that prior to doing anymore filing around the crown guards, otherwise you may remove to much! Keep up the good work, loving this build 👍

Reactions: matzemedia

WatchN3RD

Gold Patron
24/7/18
Great job. Keeping those sharp angles was key.

Last edited:

sting

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/24
I have already collected some parts for the project over the last few months. The parts collection consists of the following:
  • Movement: VR 3186 - Asian GMT Movement
  • Dial: Gen glossy tritium 16750 with applied hour markers
  • Hands: Aftermarket hands
  • Datedisc from ebay with open 6,9
  • Case: Raffel 1675
  • Crystal: Sternkreuz 302
Here how it lookes:
Which date disc did you buy, was it a 3186 or a 3075? And if it was the latter did it need modifying in some way?